Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !

Go down 
+4
EgypSwiftLady
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
Jaye
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Empty
PostSubject: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:28 am

Seems like a "collage bird"...but in fact.....she (or he) is real !

I have seen some crazy markings on ferals before...but this sweetie (named Splash) looks like she got exactly 50% from both of her parents !!!!

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Splash13

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Splash11

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Splash12
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 am

She is just beautiful. Is she a regular at your place? Looks young.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 am

She's stunning, Jaye. Star quality
Many thanks for sharing her with us. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:33 am

Sooooo pretty! I love it/them Is that her mate? or just a friend? Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Yup - she/he is a resident of the lightwell. Yes, I believe that is her/his sweetheart, too...
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm

She sure stands out in a flock.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:28 pm

She's lovely! I love it/them
I've seen some really unusual colour and pattern combinations at my local park, one very similar to Splash. I'll try and find some photos.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Aha, here we are! In fact, they aren't just similar, they're almost exactly identical! :eek:

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! DSCNB4641-ccc

Last edited by Teresa on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 pm

They sure do look alike, Teresa.
Back to top Go down
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 am

Aha ! I'll be sure to let her know her cousin lives in Portugal !!!! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:07 am

WOW, Teresa really has found her twin there !
They are really pretty, I have a soft spot for white birds, they have a serene gentle look. I love it/them

Funnily enough today I was watching what was a purely white flock I feed locally. I was wishing I'd had my camera with me as other banded and grey ferals etc have joined them now over time.
I was aware of some very unusal markings on some that have obviously been 'created' as a result of some pairings.
My oops babies look similar to your bird aswell. They are half blue bar homer and a white Roller. They've picked up around 50/50 from mum and dad.

Janet

This is the two of them with Bonnie another feral mix who obviously had a chequered parent.

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! More_o10
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 am

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! 279675 WOW!! Your feral really is a mirror image of Jaye's feral, Teresa. This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! 142829
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 am

Jaye wrote:
Aha ! I'll be sure to let her know her cousin lives in Portugal !!!! That's too funny

:That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 am

jamy wrote:

I just love these guys! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 am

jamy wrote:

Beautiful ! Circle of Love :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:02 am

They're beautiful, Janet!
I never get tired of admiring all the wonderful variety of colours and patterns that come from 'ooops' pairings! Happy

PS. Today I saw one that was a check with blue bars!
Back to top Go down
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am

Was discussing this w\ one of the techs at my avian vet several weeks ago - when I was younger I never noticed that pigeons were really any color other than blue-band or checked (a very occasional Coral\Pink thrown in there). Seems nowadays they are coming in more colors and styles Tickled Pink. Do you think that's so (as a result of escaped fancies, homers, rollers, and such that have now had their genes inherited\dispersed several times over) or is it just a matter of never having really observed them as closely before ? Last week on a re-release I spoke w\ a guy at the vicinty of where was releasing and he pointed out a n'hood regular to me - a feral with fully-feathered legs - he was sort of a blue band but in a 'faded' sorta blue hue
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Jaye wrote:
Was discussing this w\ one of the techs at my avian vet several weeks ago - when I was younger I never noticed that pigeons were really any color other than blue-band or checked (a very occasional Coral\Pink thrown in there). Seems nowadays they are coming in more colors and styles This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! 893919. Do you think that's so (as a result of escaped fancies, homers, rollers, and such that have now had their genes inherited\dispersed several times over) or is it just a matter of never having really observed them as closely before ? Last week on a re-release I spoke w\ a guy at the vicinty of where was releasing and he pointed out a n'hood regular to me - a feral with fully-feathered legs - he was sort of a blue band but in a 'faded' sorta blue hue

When I started doing rescue/rehab, 24 years ago, I couldn't imagine a color other than the grey Pigeons I had come to associate with ferals. In the early 1990's, I started noticing red Pigeons in the feral flocks and some white ones too. I really think the color combinations and size varrations we see today do have to do with lost Pigeons that have found refuge with feral flocks.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm sure you're right. My local flock is made up of a few Roller type pigeons aswell as occasional banded birds. Those don't seem to be around for that long though. I often wonder if they either fly off or maybe aren't as capable of adapting to life foraging for food and so don't survive as well.

Also I do wonder if some of the white birds we see now amongst these flocks are possibly lost wedding birds not properly trained to home.
I saw a dead one on the roof amongst this flock last week and went back at night to retrieve it. I wanted to make sure it hadn't been poisoned but it was emaciated and so obviously starving, poor little soul.

Janet
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Jaye wrote:
Was discussing this w\ one of the techs at my avian vet several weeks ago -
when I was younger I never noticed that pigeons were really any color other than blue-band or checked (a very occasional Coral\Pink thrown in there). Seems nowadays they are coming in more colors and styles Tickled Pink.

Do you think that's so (as a result of escaped fancies, homers, rollers, and such that have now had their genes inherited\dispersed several times over) or is it just a matter of never having really observed them as closely before ? Last week on a re-release I spoke w\ a guy at the vicinty of where was releasing and he pointed out a n'hood regular to me - a feral with fully-feathered legs - he was sort of a blue band but in a 'faded' sorta blue hue

I'm sure that's a lot of it, Jaye.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 pm

jamy wrote:
I'm sure you're right. My local flock is made up of a few Roller type pigeons aswell as occasional banded birds. Those don't seem to be around for that long though. I often wonder if they either fly off or maybe aren't as capable of adapting to life foraging for food and so don't survive as well.

Also I do wonder if some of the white birds we see now amongst these flocks are possibly lost wedding birds not properly trained to home.
I saw a dead one on the roof amongst this flock last week and went back at night to retrieve it. I wanted to make sure it hadn't been poisoned but it was emaciated and so obviously starving, poor little soul.

Janet

Thank you for that last kindness, Janet. Poor bird! Unfortunately we can't get to them all in time.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Jaye wrote:
Was discussing this w\ one of the techs at my avian vet several weeks ago - when I was younger I never noticed that pigeons were really any color other than blue-band or checked (a very occasional Coral\Pink thrown in there). Seems nowadays they are coming in more colors and styles Tickled Pink. Do you think that's so (as a result of escaped fancies, homers, rollers, and such that have now had their genes inherited\dispersed several times over) or is it just a matter of never having really observed them as closely before ? Last week on a re-release I spoke w\ a guy at the vicinty of where was releasing and he pointed out a n'hood regular to me - a feral with fully-feathered legs - he was sort of a blue band but in a 'faded' sorta blue hue

I saw one on my roof today with feathered legs. Not fully feathered, like some show birds, but covered in short white feathers. I knicknamed him 'Snowboots'. Laughing

I'm sure escaped breeds are leaving their mark in the feral population. One of my rescues is a feral with massive, crinkled-looking wattles, and looks like a pedigree racer.
And there's a banded homer (massive!) who's taken up residence here 3 years ago. His mate is a pretty petite red hen with white markings. I've been looking forward to seeing their young, but they nest in really precarious places and the eggs always roll off and break.

Here's a picture of him, towering above the ferals:

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! DSCNB1904-cr-Lol
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Love that picture, Teresa. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 am

Teresa, that is one big handsome boy, :Yes:

What a great expression, he's certainly giving you the once over. I love the way the bird on his right is looking up at him too. Cool photos

Janet
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_lol ...Teresa...that is a great picture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !   This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This pigeon portrait has not been manipulated, really !
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next