Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
pigeonwriter
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Empty
PostSubject: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Since a couple of days I was watching one of our feral balcony pijjies who was limping awfully due to a severe string injury. It became worse with every day. Several times I tried to catch Paulchen - that's his name - but everything failed. Today finally I was lucky - could lure him into the living room with food and could close the door behind him so he was trapped. Catching him inside was easy (have enough training in the meanwhile - That's too funny )

He had several threads entangeled around his both feet whereas one foot was not in danger but 2 toes of his left foot were already swollen and I could see that the threads were cutting deep into his flesh. So it was really necessary to get rid of the stuff as quickly as possible.

Thank heaven I managed with the help of my partner who held the bird to carefully cut off all the stuff - it took quite a while but with some small nail scissors and some tweezers I finally managed to get all the stuff out. Only one toe looked quite awful, starting to change colour already and definitely with some pus in it. The second toe had also some pus around the cut but did not look that bad. Also the whole foot was very hot.

I soaked some cottonwool with arnica and put it around the foot for a while - hope that it helped with the pain a bit. Afterwards I soaked the toes with Bachflower Rescue drops which help the healing process quickly. I have done that when Pina and Peppi were attacked by that bad pigeon last year as babies.

After giving Paulchen some rest I gave him a big portion of baby cereal with applesauce via syringe and now he seems to be quite content: sitting comfortably in his little box.
Tomorrow I will check whether he can be released again. I am sure his mate is waiting desperately for him.

Here are some fotos after the treatment:

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 0318x0027paulchen

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 0318x0023paulchen

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 0318x0022paulchen

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 0318x0024paulchen

Last edited by pigeonwriter on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Lucky for Paulchen you spotted him, Petra. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 714583
Well done on the treatment. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829

It looks like he'll be just fine.
He may lose that one toe, but only time will tell on that.
Unless something unforeseen comes up, I'm sure he will be releaseable. pigeon 1

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Lucky that you caught him, Petra. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put him on an antibiotic.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:41 pm

This little bird is so lucky you caught and treated him Petra.

You have done a great job removing the string. Way To Go

To be on the safe side, I would also recommend a course of antibotics.

Louise Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 789920
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

No antibiotics - I released him this morning and he went immediately to his mate. How happy he was - I could see. He is still limping but not as bad as before.
A bit later when I was feeding Angelo on the balcony Paulchen even jumped on my other arm opposite Angelo and had his breakfast too. While he was sitting there I could see that the deep cut on the middle toe had already closed. :That\\\'s so f Hip Hip Hooray

I think that the emotional side plays a big role in healing with birds too - just the same with humans. So it would have been a negative impact if I had him longer inside I think. I will see how it goes in the next days...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 am

Apprecite the update on Paulchen, Petra. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829
Best wishes to him/her. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Glad to hear that Paulchen has been reunited with his mate. Thrilled Celebrate I'm sure that will help in his healing process.

Just keep any eye on him and hopefully the limping will subside with no further swelling.

Louise Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 789920
Back to top Go down
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Good job. I would agree w/ Matilda, though...next time put the pigeon on antibiotics for at least 4 days. Those feet didn't look bad at all...holy cow, you should have seen the last 2 which I had here....horrific...they lost toes and the whole horrible thing.

But antibiotics and even anti-inflammatories are a good idea. They can help an awful lot.

String injury can be insidious...almost impossible to tell what has gone on under the swelling. Removing the string is sometimes not enough. Sometimes there could be soft tissue damage, sometimes bone infection. Again, yours' feet didn't look too bad at all....just mentioning for future reference.

I bet Paulchen is happy to be back in the feral world.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 am

Jaye wrote:

I like that. It sounds so mystical.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:58 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Apprecite the update on Paulchen, Petra. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829
Best wishes to him/her. Circle of Love

Thank you Cindy! I love it/them

Jackie\'s Mom wrote:
Glad to hear that Paulchen has been reunited with his mate. Thrilled Celebrate I'm sure that will help in his healing process.

Just keep any eye on him and hopefully the limping will subside with no further swelling.

I will Louise - I see him every day as his mate has laid eggs on the balcony which I am going to replace soon....

Jaye wrote:

I love it/them Love this too!!!

Paulchen is doing quite well - his middle toe looks nearly normal now - no swelling any more. The other toe is still swollen, there is still pus and he is still limping but when he walks fast - he does not limp at all. He was on my arm this morning again to have his breakfast with Angelo. So I can see very well whether something is going wrong. At the moment it looks quite good. Time will tell....

Thank you all for your concerns and sympathies. If I had not learned so much from you guys I would not have been able to help this bird.

Group hug Group hug Group hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 pm

I love it that Paulchen stays nearby and you are able to keep a close eye one him. I love it/them Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 714583 Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829

Please keep us posted as time permits.
Back to top Go down
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Matilda wrote:
Jaye wrote:

Lord of the Ringnecks....????

oof...I can see myself out, thank you......

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 193770
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Jaye wrote:
Matilda wrote:
Jaye wrote:

Lord of the Ringnecks....????

oof...I can see myself out, thank you......

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 193770

Hi there/Bye ... Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 321758
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Thank you for the fun Hi there/Bye

Paulchen is still limping and his bad toe is still swollen but I could see this morning that the lower part near the claw is still red and not black - this makes me think that he is not going to lose it. It will probaly take some time until the pus is all gone. At least he is as cheaky as always and a big hothead ready to fight with all the other cocks on the balcony.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Thank you for the fun Hi there/Bye

Paulchen is still limping and his bad toe is still swollen but I could see this morning that the lower part near the claw is still red and not black - this makes me think that he is not going to lose it.

It will probaly take some time until the pus is all gone.
At least he is as cheaky as always and a big hothead ready to fight with all the other cocks on the balcony.

It sound like he's got circulation going on. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829

If there is some pus visible, I would suspect there is an infection to some degree.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 373410 - Paulchen's toe seems to be healing completely. The swelling is nearly gone, he is hardly limping any more - only when someone is looking - and there is only one little darker spot on the upside of his toe - the rest looks red as it should. Hip Hip Hooray Happy Dance Thrilled Celebrate Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Woo hoo Woo hoo That's great to hear, Petra.
Thanks for the update. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 142829
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Today I caught Paulchen again to check on his toe because he was still limping. The bad toe still looked infected so I soaked his foot with Arnica again and removed all the dirt/stuff from the wound, that was in the cut. I could not see whether there was still some thread in the cut but I rather believe not. It must have gone down to the bone so it probably takes time to heal up completely. More I cannot do.

It was funny how I caught him: he was feeding with Flecklehäs (a very colourful other cock) on my arm and of course started to fight with his competitor - so he did not realize that I was grabbing him That's too funny - the rest was easy! :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for the update, Petra! I hope Paulchen continues to improve -- those deep cuts can take quite a long time to heal.
It's great that he keeps coming round and getting so close so it's possible for you to keep an eye on him!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm so glad that Paulchen stays close, Petra, so you can keep an eye on him. Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates 714583

Great 'catch' BTW. Great job

Please do keep us posted on how things are coming along with his foot.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 am

Paulchen's toe is still a bit discoloured but this time I think he has made it: he now can stand fully on his left foot and he's stopped entirely limping. I am so relieved! Hip Hip Hooray Happy Dance Celebrate
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 pm

WONDERFUL! Thrilled Happy Dance Thrilled Happy Dance Thrilled
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Great update. YESS!! Thanks, Petra.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm very happy for Paulchen. Great job, Petra. Dove right
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 am

Thank You circling Charis, Cind, Teresa - I would not have known what to do if I had not learned so much from you guys!!! Star quality
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates   Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paulchen - our first string injury finally treated and new updates
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: