Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

5 pigeons need a home

Go down 
+4
jamy
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
trishaxolotl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
trishaxolotl

5 pigeons need a home Empty
PostSubject: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi,

Please don't dis me for this - I'm trying to do the right thing.

A small baby pigeon rescue has blossomed into a small hobby - resulting in me rescuing 5 reject racers due to be culled - this has been ok for a couple of years but my house - or garden is becoming the latest place to hang out. Having 2 small children under 3 years I would like a bit less poo outside and the wild pigeons are trying to set up nests anywhere and everywhere.

I need to stop all this before it becomes a welfare issue (or a neighbour issue) so would like to rehome my 5 pigeons.

Trouble is the world seems to think they are vermin.

I live in Herts uk - any suggestions please???
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I do understand you are overwhelmed. So let's try to find a place for you to take your pigeons.
Did you not see anyone near you on this list?

https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/pigeon-resources-f8/matilda-s-list-england-t256.htm

Can you drive them a ways if need be?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I've sent one of our UK members a message asking for her guidence in helping you find a place for your pigeons.
Would you be willing to email me your phone number so I can pass it on to her? Your first name would be helpful too.

charisnp@comcast.net
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 pm

I hope you are able to find wonderful forever homes for your birds. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 3:27 am

Hi,

Just to let you know I've spoken to Trish. These birds had been bred purely for keeping to encourage the racing parents to return. They would have been culled soon after so they were lucky Trish took them in.
They have built them an aviary from which they fly free during the day but as they seem to be male are obviously wanting to bring their mates home, thus encouraging more birds.

Trish has tried some places around her area but as they are wildlife rescue centres aren't really able to accomodate permanent residents. There was one lady a little further away who said she might be able to help but she's still nearer than I am, so will be worth keeping as an option.

I'm going to check around to see if there are any better options first.
The only answer I can see immediately is to take them to a wildlife centre where they have an open aviary set up and hope they can integrate into a new place. That will at least offer a food supply. Having been taken care of so well they would stand no chance in the wild on their own and that in itself would be almost as cruel as their potential culling.

Will let Trish know if I come up with anything.

Janet
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 am

Rehoming free flying pigeons will be a problem because they may very well fly back from where they came from (i.e. Trish's place). They'll need to be kept inside till they associate their new home as home.
I hope we can find a place for these 5 pigeons! I'll ask around too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for all your help, Janet. Pigeon angel
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 am

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:

* Rehoming free flying pigeons will be a problem because they may very well fly back from where they came from (i.e. Trish's place).

They'll need to be kept inside till they associate their new home as home.
** I hope we can find a place for these 5 pigeons! I'll ask around too.

* This is true. Or they may even fly back to their original home. Serious EEK!! That certainly would not be good for those pijjies. 🇳🇴

** Many Thanks Revati. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 am

Thank you Janet for giving Trish a call...she sounds frantic and at the end of her wits over this.

Thank you Revita for working on it too.

Really, it seems ther are many more options for pigeons in the UK than there are here. At least it's 5 instead fo 25.

Group hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 8:35 am

Matilda wrote:
Thank you Janet for giving Trish a call...she sounds frantic and at the end of her wits over this.

Thank you Revita for working on it too.

Really, it seems ther are many more options for pigeons in the UK than there are here.

At least it's 5 instead fo 25.

Group hug

That's true. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
trishaxolotl

PostSubject: At least it's 5 instead of 25.   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 pm

That's why I'm trying to be responsible before I have a major issue!!

I have 6 "visitors" at the moment that I'm hoping will go back where they came from once mine are gone. None of them sleep at mine so have no worries that they can look after themselves.

Thanks to all who are tring to help me.

Trish
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 5:46 pm

trishaxolotl wrote:

* That's why I'm trying to be responsible before I have a major issue!!

** I have 6 "visitors" at the moment that I'm hoping will go back where they came from once mine are gone.

None of them sleep at mine so have no worries that they can look after themselves.

Thanks to all who are tring to help me.

Trish

* 5 pigeons need a home 142829

** I'm sure they will move on if there is no reason for them to stick around.
If you have been feeding them, I would suggest gradually lessening the amount of seed you put out.

Wishing you the best of luck, Trish. Smile
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 4:55 am

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:
Rehoming free flying pigeons will be a problem because they may very well fly back from where they came from (i.e. Trish's place). They'll need to be kept inside till they associate their new home as home.
I hope we can find a place for these 5 pigeons! I'll ask around too.

I agree, that's the main cencern that they will try and find their way home. I said to Trish that any place needs to be asked if they have the facilities to contain them for at least six weeks before allowing them free flight.
The rescue centre I take any hand reared Woodies to have a release aviary that any birds go in prior to release to ensure they're feeding ok etc. I'd have to ask if they'd be prepared to let them stay contained for a good while if they took them on.
That might be difficult for them to action though as they open the aviary exit for a day every couple of weeks so any birds that want to go can leave. They might not be happy at having to keep it closed off for so long. I can only ask and see what they say.
It would be better if they were kept closer to home just in case. I know if they were my birds I like to think they had a chance of finding their way back to safety if they didn't settle at a new location rather then wondering if they were lost in the wild where they're not used to coping. At least that way there would be another chance to re-assess the situation and find a suitable place for them if that didn't work for them. They are well used to being looked after so can't just be set free.

It would be great if you could enquire around aswell Mrs AR as you know what's invloved in trying to place them and I certainly don't know anyone with an aviary set-up that can keep them. So going to an open aviary is the only option I could hope to find if all else fails.

Have been battling with a computer virus the past couple of days but will let you know what happens from my enquiries.

Janet
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:36 am

We so appreciate your input, Janet. Smile

I'm sorry to hear you are having computer issues. Disappointed
I hope they are resolved soon. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Trish...any update?
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Just to let you know, I spoke to Trish yesterday and she has been very lucky and found a place for her birds.

I had phoned some places that had open aviaries and kept coming up with the same negative response. Unfortunately they didn't have the spare facilities to keep the birds confined for a period of time before letting them into the open again.

As it happened I was in fact ringing Trish to tell her about a couple of other places she could try that were located more in her end of the country. One happened to be the place where birds have gone to she thinks.

I know she said Rev, (Mrs AR) had contacted her aswell, not sure whether she found this for her.

Trish said she had meant to post this news so if she gets a chance maybe she can tell us the whole story.

Great outcome for her and of course the birds. Great job

Janet
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 pm

So great to hear the pigeons found a home. Great job

Thanks for letting us know. Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for the updayte, Janst. That's wonderful news.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm

jamy wrote:

* Just to let you know, I spoke to Trish yesterday and she has been very lucky and found a place for her birds.

** Trish said she had meant to post this news so if she gets a chance maybe she can tell us the whole story.

*** Great outcome for her and of course the birds. Great job

Janet

YESS!!
* That's wonderful news, Janet. Thanks for the update.

** We will keep our eyes open. 5 pigeons need a home 714583

*** Yes indeedy!! Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
trishaxolotl

PostSubject: 5 happy pigeons   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you to all. My pigeons have gone
to kent with a lady who clearly cares a
great deal about pigeons and has offered
to take more of these babies that would
otherwise have been killed. A great result!
If I can get the breeder to hand them over.

Thanks again

trish
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Thank you so much for the update, Trish.
YOU rock Lots!!
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Celebrate Celebrate Thrilled Thrilled
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:53 pm

What a happy ending to this story! I love it/them A big thank you to Trish and everybody who helped her achieve this wonderful result!
YOU rock
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 pigeons need a home   5 pigeons need a home Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 pigeons need a home
Page 1 of 1