Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Empty
PostSubject: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Pigeons are very good at disguising their illnesses so as not to appear vulnerable to predators -- everyone here has heard that time and again... But occasionally even those of us who have memorised all the symptoms can be completely deceived.

Have a look at this pigeon. His name is Sweets, and he looks a picture of health, doesn't he?

Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms DSCNB8948-cr500

This is what he looked like shortly before I caught him to remove a troublesome down feather from inside his beak. That's when I saw them: two yellow canker lesions, on the right hand side of his throat. He is being medicated with Flagyl (and so is his flock), and the lesions have started to shrink. He's in great spirits, and I'm just very glad that by coincidence (or was it?) the illness he was hiding was revealed.

Last year was horrible for severe canker. I hope and pray that this year will be better, and that no rescues will be beyond saving. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Sweets certainly does look like the picture of health. Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms 395766
Just by looking, one would never have known that canker was invading his mouth.
But for the feather caught in his beak and your intervention, Sweets probably would have missed his 'window of opportunity' to be treated early. Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms 44767

I'm thrilled to hear that he is doing so well. Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:07 pm

'Window of opportunity' is a good way to put it. And of course it's much more difficult with typical ferals that don't trust humans and don't like to be handled. If he was like that I wouldn't have been able to catch him there and then. I hate it when I spot a sick bird and can't catch him for days...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Teresa wrote:
'Window of opportunity' is a good way to put it. And of course it's much more difficult with typical ferals that don't trust humans and don't like to be handled. If he was like that I wouldn't have been able to catch him there and then.

I hate it when I spot a sick bird and can't catch him for days...

I agree It's heartbreaking. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Sweets is free, and he's back to his usual tricks, invading the kitchen to help himself! That's too funny

He had 8 days of medication, my indoor pigeons got 7, and the flock got 5. I hope this will keep them in good health for now, but I'll continue to keep an eye on them.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Teresa wrote:
Sweets is free,

and he's back to his usual tricks, invading the kitchen to help himself! That's too funny

He had 8 days of medication, my indoor pigeons got 7, and the flock got 5. I hope this will keep them in good health for now, but I'll continue to keep an eye on them.

Appreciate the update, Teresa. Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms 142829
I'm so glad to hear Sweets recovered and is now back with his flock. Thrilled

I love it!! Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms 46723

Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Teresa - this is a very good story. Caught just in time - I love to hear this. Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray
That's why I am so glad that I have "trained" my little flock to come inside one by one - this way it is much easier to catch them - just in case....
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms   Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeon with canker showed no symptoms
Page 1 of 1