Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Bad boy bird behavior

Go down 
+5
Matilda
Cynthia
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Jenaka
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

Bad boy bird behavior Empty
PostSubject: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm having a problem with Petey. He is an '08 rescued homer. Earlier this year he paired up with his first mate Hannah, an older feral lady.

The first 2 clutches they had Petey was clueless. He would go in to the nest box to take his turn on the eggs, but as soon as Hannah left the box to go eat, he would get up with a "Hey where are you going??" look and follow Hannah out. She would see this and then fly back into the box and sit down again. Petey would follow and this would repeat itself over and over. Poor Hannah was very patient teaching Petey what to do.

By the 3rd clutch Petey had it figured out and would sit perfectly all afternoon.

Here's Petey sitting
Bad boy bird behavior Petey_10

And here is cute little Hannah
Bad boy bird behavior Hannah10

About a month ago Hannah laid an egg, then 2 days later laid another, which fell out of the box and broke. I gave her 2 fake eggs to sit on and she was fine with that. The next day she laid a third egg which also broke. At that time Petey refused to help her sit. He would fly into his box on and off, and all but ignored Hannah. He started going out into the aviary and chasing the other birds out of it and being a real pain. After a week he began to call Hannah to the other end of his box. She abandoned the eggs and they made a new nest and she laid 2 more. I though it had something to do with the fact 2 eggs were broken that upset Petey.

Then this happened to the next set of eggs, Petey ignoring them, picking fights and chasing, and Hannah not sitting on them long, then giving up. I worry about Hannah laying eggs too often.

I was thinking I should remove the pair and keep them a while in a cage alone for a while. Or should I think about separating this pair? I hate to see Hannah ignored. Anyone have any suggestions? Petey chasing all the birds out of the aviary is bad news. No one can go out there for a relaxing bath because of him! It's so much more peaceful when the boys are occupied with their nest sitting duties. Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Love your pictures. I love it/them Thanks for sharing them with us.

I'm having somewhat the same problem with Malio and Sadie, so I'm certainly not one to give advice, but I'll sure take note of any given. Smile

Yes! It sure does make life easier when the 'boys' are tending to their nest duties. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 pm

How about removing them from the loft for a week or so? When I had a male (Kane) who was picking fights with the other birds, and chasing all the other hens while his poor mate stayed in the box. Charis told me to remove him for a week. She said not to let him even see the other birds. Well, I did this, and then returned him to the loft. No change. He even tried to throw his mate out of the box. He had done that with his previous mate after a month or so. But not this time, as April wasn't going to be separated from her eggs. She kept coming back and fighting him for the box. It was something to watch. She won! Then he went after the other birds. I removed him again, for two weeks this time. And while he was "away" Luigi stepped up to Top position in the loft, so when Kane came back, Luigi wasn't about to put up with his shananigins. He quieted right down, stays close to his box and mate, and is a great bird. This was a year ago, and I haven't had any problems with him since. I think by removing the bully, who thinks he's top bird, he loses his footing in the pecking order. It changes everything. And it works a good deal of the time.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:38 am

I hope Petey calms down. We are always trying to solve our pigeons' "personal" problems.problems.

When our little Shy joined the aviary she was terrified of other birds and used to end up squashed into any narrow opening she could find. We decided that she would benefit from a mate and her own territory so we chose Aaron as her mate, then we put them in one of our hospital cages that had two fairly large sections , both big enough to hold two nests, and kept the wire door shut. When we let them out they were mates and the other pigeons considered that they had established their right to that cage . They kept it until Shy died, then Aaron won a new hen who moved in in with him.

They have managed to keep both sections for themselves.

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:36 am

NiteOwl wrote:
How about removing them from the loft for a week or so? When I had a male (Kane) who was picking fights with the other birds, and chasing all the other hens while his poor mate stayed in the box.

Charis told me to remove him for a week. She said not to let him even see the other birds.

Well, I did this, and then returned him to the loft. No change. He even tried to throw his mate out of the box. He had done that with his previous mate after a month or so. But not this time, as April wasn't going to be separated from her eggs. She kept coming back and fighting him for the box. It was something to watch. She won! Then he went after the other birds. I removed him again, for two weeks this time. And while he was "away" Luigi stepped up to Top position in the loft, so when Kane came back, Luigi wasn't about to put up with his shananigins. He quieted right down, stays close to his box and mate, and is a great bird. This was a year ago, and I haven't had any problems with him since. I think by removing the bully, who thinks he's top bird, he loses his footing in the pecking order. It changes everything. And it works a good deal of the time.
Perhaps I should give that a try with Malio and Sadie.
They are in a separate cage (AKA the motel) within the aviary, but maybe they need to 'vacation' across town.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Should I remove Petey and Hannah? I thought perhaps if Petey had nothing to do but nest sit he'd get with the program. Men! Oh brother Laughing If so, should I let their box get taken or reserve it? It's actually one of the most desirable nesting spots out there.

They just made a new nest and Hannah laid the first egg. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:10 pm

I tell ya...a Pigeon therapist would be in great demand! LOL
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
How about removing them from the loft for a week or so? When I had a male (Kane) who was picking fights with the other birds, and chasing all the other hens while his poor mate stayed in the box.

Charis told me to remove him for a week. She said not to let him even see the other birds.

Well, I did this, and then returned him to the loft. No change. He even tried to throw his mate out of the box. He had done that with his previous mate after a month or so. But not this time, as April wasn't going to be separated from her eggs. She kept coming back and fighting him for the box. It was something to watch. She won! Then he went after the other birds. I removed him again, for two weeks this time. And while he was "away" Luigi stepped up to Top position in the loft, so when Kane came back, Luigi wasn't about to put up with his shananigins. He quieted right down, stays close to his box and mate, and is a great bird. This was a year ago, and I haven't had any problems with him since. I think by removing the bully, who thinks he's top bird, he loses his footing in the pecking order. It changes everything. And it works a good deal of the time.
Perhaps I should give that a try with Malio and Sadie.
They are in a separate cage (AKA the motel) within the aviary, but maybe they need to 'vacation' across town.

Maybe you should just remove Malio for a week.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Matilda wrote:

Maybe you should just remove Malio for a week.
You're going to have to include Sadie, Dolly and Dumpling.
All 4 are being 100% birdie brats. :For Shame: Disappointed
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Removing the badest :eek: for a week just might change the flock dynamics of badness. Question
Worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Well Hannah laid the second egg and Petey has been sitting on them like an angel. Maybe he read my mind Laughing . I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he stays this way!
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Matilda wrote:
I tell ya...a Pigeon therapist would be in great demand! LOL
I thought that was your job! ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:40 pm

That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Jenaka wrote:
Well Hannah laid the second egg and Petey has been sitting on them like an angel. Maybe he read my mind Laughing . I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he stays this way!

Else you will have wag the finger at him and talk to him straight, lady to pigeon, and let him know who's boss ..well, maybe not, as the pigeons generally seem to rule :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Ha!Ha!Ha! Yep! Pigeons do seem to rule the roost don't they? LOL
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, Hannah and Petey gave up on their eggs, made another nest and produced 2 more eggs a few days ago. Petey has gone back to ignoring poor Hannah. Petey is very attentive up until Hannah starts laying the eggs. Then it's like he forgets about her. Then today Petey went into one side of the nestbox and was calling to Hannah who was sitting on the eggs 8 inches away. It's as if the eggs aren't even there. Disappointed I brought him inside the house. He's standing in the cage looking bewildered. I guess he'll have to stay away from the loft for a while. Maybe he'll learn to appreciate his hen. Oh brother
Back to top Go down
Dolly

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:16 am

some people are like that too.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Capuccino wrote:

Else you will have wag the finger at him and talk to him straight, lady to pigeon, and let him know who's boss ..well, maybe not, as the pigeons generally seem to rule :)

Tickled Pink I tried that once with Piper, when she was acting like a spoiled brat: she wouldn't stop growling at me when I was cleaning her cage, so I growled back at her. The look on her face was something like this: :eek: and after that she shut up and let me get on with it. But some people on PT were horrified, because they had no idea that madam has me wrapped round her little claw and usually there are no other pigeons to challenge her.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Teresa wrote:
Capuccino wrote:

Tickled Pink I tried that once with Piper, when she was acting like a spoiled brat: she wouldn't stop growling at me when I was cleaning her cage, so I growled back at her. The look on her face was something like this: :eek: and after that she shut up and let me get on with it. But some people on PT were horrified, because they had no idea that madam has me wrapped round her little claw and usually there are no other pigeons to challenge her.
LOL I can just imagine what Piper must have thought! Hahaha Sometimes you need to speak to them in pigeon language and you probably said a cuss word. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:51 am

Jenaka wrote:
Teresa wrote:
Capuccino wrote:

Tickled Pink I tried that once with Piper, when she was acting like a spoiled brat: she wouldn't stop growling at me when I was cleaning her cage, so I growled back at her. The look on her face was something like this: :eek: and after that she shut up and let me get on with it.

LOL I can just imagine what Piper must have thought!

Hahaha Sometimes you need to speak to them in pigeon language and you probably said a cuss word.

Laughing Laughing
:That\\\'s so f ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Quote :
="Jenaka" LOL I can just imagine what Piper must have thought! Hahaha Sometimes you need to speak to them in pigeon language and you probably said a cuss word. Laughing Laughing

Well, she started it! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:40 pm

I am so glad that he is behaving... YESS!! send some mental telepathy my way!!!! Bad boy bird behavior 193770

I wish Journey would behave. He is just a BONIFIDE brat ... He is so infactuated with Willow (our white homer) that he WILL not leave her alone for 2 seconds.... Geesh give a girl a break. Heaven help me BOYS! I've yet, to put them together! I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 am

AZJourney wrote:
I am so glad that he is behaving... YESS!! send some mental telepathy my way!!!! Bad boy bird behavior 193770

I wish Journey would behave. He is just a BONIFIDE brat ...

He is so infactuated with Willow (our white homer) that he WILL not leave her alone for 2 seconds.... Geesh give a girl a break. Heaven help me BOYS! I've yet, to put them together! I have NO idea
Perhaps Journey, Malio and Dolly need to spend some 'guy' time together. High 5
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:29 am

Y Ha!Ha!Ha! Your house .... OR.... MINE! LOL
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:50 am

Jenn...although I don't want to speak out of line...I'm sure that Cindy is thinking of YOUR house. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad boy bird behavior   Bad boy bird behavior Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad boy bird behavior
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next