Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Empty
PostSubject: Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird   Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 am

I work in an after hours emergency animal hospital. On Tuesday, my day off, my co-worker opened the hospital at 5pm and found 2 pigeons in a box at the door. Who knows how long they were sitting in that box in the sun! Seeing red/mad

One bird was so bad off they euthanized it. The other was standing and seemed to be eating. I went to work yesterday and looked at the bird. It was alert but weak, standing hunched with slightly dropped wings. It was a beautiful bird, white with large multi color spots and a black tail. What alarmed me was there was no poop in the cage, just huge amounts green water and some urates. The bird wasn't eating at all. I did a fecal test and found parasites so I wormed her. The bird was drinking on it's own. I tube fed a little loose baby bird formula. After doing so we found that the bird had a large swelling between the legs. I though maybe egg bound. The swelling was rather soft and I didn't feel anything like an egg. The poor thing had rock hard poop stuck to it's bottom as well. I had the bird sit in a warm bath and managed to loosen most of the stuck on poop. The vent looked normal. I was hoping perhaps it was blocked up from the stuck on feces that it was constipated. I managed to get an appointment with an avian vet.

I brought the bird home with me and left it for the night on a heat disk. This morning I was happy to see she was looking brighter and had started to poop! And it looked almost totally normal. I fed her and she ate almost the entire bowl of seed. I then took her to the vet. Sadly, the swelling turned out to be a large mass in the abdomen. The vet said it's possible it could be a fatty mass and she's willing to try to do surgery to remove it. I need to call back in a few days. I'm not very optimistic but I'm hoping she will pull through. It's sad the owner didn't get help for the bird sooner. Very sad Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird   Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 am

She certainly has my positive thoughts.

Is she strong enough for surgery after her ordeal in the box?

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird   Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 am

Positive thoughts, for a complete recovery, are being sent from the Southwest. Circle of Love Please do let us know how things go.

I'm so sorry to hear about the little one who was unable to hang on. Very sad Bless his heart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird   Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Cynthia wrote:
She certainly has my positive thoughts.

Is she strong enough for surgery after her ordeal in the box?

Cynthia

I believe so. She was not too thin, and was eating and pooping great. And she won't be having surgery for a couple days yet. The vet who took her is a board certified avian vet who has a lot of rescue pigeons herself so she is in the best of hands. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird   Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please send good wishes to Pretty Bird
Page 1 of 1