Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Empty
PostSubject: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 am

I want to apologize right from the beginning that I cannot give you details about the medication for Emma, i.e. what the vet gave her exactly. Maybe I should call her and ask her. I was too much in a panic (from my bad experience before) that I did not ask for details which is absolutely stupid. I was just relieved that it did not seem so bad at all as I had thought it was i.e. that the vet did not want to put her down which would have been an absolute nightmare for me Heaven help me

I have just added the second part of Emma's story on my Pigeon Tales.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:47 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
I want to apologize right from the beginning that I cannot give you details about the medication for Emma, i.e. what the vet gave her exactly. Maybe I should call her and ask her. I was too much in a panic (from my bad experience before) that I did not ask for details which is absolutely stupid. I was just relieved that it did not seem so bad at all as I had thought it was i.e. that the vet did not want to put her down which would have been an absolute nightmare for me Heaven help me

I have just added the second part of Emma's story on my Pigeon Tales.

Petra, would you do that please? It would be easier for us to help you if you know prior illness.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:49 am

Hi Charis,
I called the vet this morning. The medication was this:

1 x 5-day injection Doxycyclin
1 x Spartrix against canker
1 x Metacam against pain and inflammation

2 days later:

1 x Ascapilla against round worms (Ascaridia)

2 days later:

1 x Bird Bene Bac for her gut flora
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:30 am

This is really good information to have.

Canker does come back because it is impossible to eradicate it from their system. If Emma had canker, the others do as well. If you have some spartrix, it would be good for the babies to give them each a pill when they are weaned.

It would also be a good idea to worm them via a water treatment or food, once the babies are eating very well on thier own and completely weaned.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 am

Matilda wrote:
This is really good information to have.

Canker does come back because it is impossible to eradicate it from their system. If Emma had canker, the others do as well. If you have some spartrix, it would be good for the babies to give them each a pill when they are weaned.

It would also be a good idea to worm them via a water treatment or food, once the babies are eating very well on thier own and completely weaned.

Emma definitely had no visible canker but I will keep in mind what you said and will act accordingly when the babies are completely weaned.
The antibiotics seemed the right medication because I still think that she had a bad cold due to the weather. Emma nearly immediately responded to the antibiotics. That's what my gut feeling says.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Canker can manifest in many different ways   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:55 am

Here are some other symptoms of canker as expalined in an article by Colin Walker...

Depending on what stresses the birds are under, trichomonad levels will rise and fall. When high, they have a typical parasitic effect, weakening the bird, in the process creating a vulnerability to secondary infection (particularly respiratory infection) and compromising race performance. They also produce a toxin that makes the birds feel unwell. Birds with elevated trichomonad levels are said to have 'wet canker'. Signs of infection can be subtle and quite varied. Typical signs that would alert the fancier to its possible presence include:

1. 'Penguin' posture - Associated with proventricular (glandular stomach) and crop pain. Birds will lean back on their tails and gulp. Noticed particularly after eating and drinking.

2. 'Dry feather' - Due to lack of down feather drop and bloom production.

3. 'Leady' feel - Affected birds will not come into condition and feel heavy in the hand.

4. Wet dropping - Inflammation in the digestive tract creates a thirst, leading to elevated water intake and urine production. This produces a clear watery rim around the dropping.

5. Green droppings - Due to digestive tract irritation and in some birds decreased food intake.

6. Inflammation in the throat - Tonsillitis and increased clear to grey bubbly mucus.

7. Interference with crop function - Delayed crop emptying and sometimes vomiting.

8. Increased food consumption by team as a whole

9. Dry yellow canker - In birds of any age, this tells you that many other birds have elevated trichomonad levels, which have not yet passed the threshold for yellow material to form.

10. Indirect signs - Poor loft flying, poor tossing, respiratory problems that respond poorly to medication or quickly relapse, a dramatic improvement in the birds' general vigour in response to anticanker medication are all suggestive.

Definitive diagnosis, however, depends on microscopic examination of a crop flush. Microscopic changes that are suggestive of the problem also develop in the dropping,. These changes are associated with the stress of the disease and include elevated E. coli and yeast levels. These changes, however, do not occur in all birds.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you so much Charis for these detailed informations.
The next time - heavens may prevent it - I will insist on examination of feces in order or determine the true cause.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2   With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

With Emma to the Vet - sickness story part 2
Page 1 of 1