Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.

Go down 
+2
plamenh
jamy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Empty
PostSubject: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 9:19 am

Hi, wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the Woodies section. Feel free to move if necessary.

I've spoken to Cynthia this morning when I first found this poor baby to check on anti-biotics, so have started her on Synulox.

I had no idea how badly she was injured until later. This poor baby was literally been eaten alive by two crows and the parent was trying to distract them and so they dropped her right in the path of my car. I didn't know what it was until I stopped so I grabbed it and brought it straight home.
I gave her Aconite for shock and put her on heat and kept her quiet. She settled down and rested.
After a little while I gently tried to check her over and find she has been scalped, has several wounds and has lost the end of one of her wings. The skin's been ripped on the rest of the wing. I've bathed what I can but she's very stressed so I have to keep leaving her to settle.

I've also given her Arnica, Hypericum and Calendula, by dripping it along her beak.

She still seems to be bleeding and I wondered if I should leave the wounds alone to harden off.

Any advice would be much appreciated, have never had one this badly injured before and instincts seem to tell me to keep trying things but am I making her suffer more and it be better leaving her to rest and see if she makes it through the night, apart from giving her some pain relief.

Janet
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 9:32 am

Treat only serious wounds. If you have antibiotic ointment put it on. If there is large section of skin missing, you can use toilet paper/tissue and put ointment on it, place on the wound as artificial skin. I use Deflamol, but any surgical wound dressing will do.
The idea is to cover bare tissue and stop moisture loss through the wounds.
Hydrate bird with chamomile tea with glucose/honey. Usually in 24 hours blood lost in birds is recovered so do not panic, just hydrate.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 am

The baby just passed away.

Thankfully out of pain now.

Thanks for your help.

Janet
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:41 pm

R.I.P. little woodie. Having a bad day
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 1:20 pm

I am so sorry, Janet. Thank you for being there for him.

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:46 pm

I am so very sorry, Janet. Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. 319297 Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. 319297
Bless you for doing what you could. Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. 803589

Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. 735397 "May you forever fly free sweet little Woodie" Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. 735397
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Feeling so sorry for the baby, for you Very sad - thank you so much for trying to help this little soul. I am very sad...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm so sorry, Jamy! Thank you for doing your best for the baby and providing him with safety and comfort.
Fly free, little one! pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.   Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horrific Injuries to Baby Woodie. Warning Not Pleasant Reading.
Page 1 of 1