Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeon Experiments

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 am

I don't normally cross reference information from PT but in this instance I feel it's necessary.

Many of you have probably seen the thread in question over there.
If not, here is the link. Pigeon Experiments

Just a little recap:
During a discussion I replied to a comment about performing an EEG (brain wave test) on a pigeon. My reply was in jest because it would be impossible to do this given what's involved. I felt it was a ridiculous comment to even make.

There was a reply to my post stating, in so many words, that they do perform EEG's on pigeons and a link was included.
I read the article and was horrified. Pigeon Experiments 764214 EEG's were in fact performed on pigeons, however for experimental purposes. Pigeon Experiments Icon_evil
The test is used to record brain wave activity on a pigeon during flight. Pigeon Experiments 64198

This make me sick. And the manner in which the electrodes are 'implanted' sickens me to the core.

I felt I needed to clarify my statement at PT as I was absolutely not condoning or joking about any type of treatment .
I had no idea this was going on.

The following was taken, in part, from the article:

Animal Handling and Electrode Implantation
Adult homing pigeons served as subjects for these experiments.

Varnish-covered nichrome electrodes (d = 150 µm) were used for intracranial EEG recording, and gold-covered watch screws for epidural EEG recording. Tetrodes were used for the action and field potentials recording. They were manufactured from 25 µm nichrome wire (A-M Systems) as described in Gray et al. (1995)Go and were mounted on a custom-made, manually operated, microdrive placed on the skull over thehippocampal formation.

Pigeons were anesthetized with a combination of xylazine (1 mg/kg body wt im) and ketamine (5 mg/kg body wt im) and placed in a stereotaxic apparatus (This is an instrument attached to the head, used to localize precisely an area in the brain by means of coordinates related to intracerebral structures). The skin on the dorsal surface of the skull was opened along the midline, and the appropriate number of holes was drilled in the skull to expose the dura (This is a tough fibrous membrane covering the brain and the spinal cord and lining the inner surface of the skull).
All electrodes were fixed to the skull with dental cement.

Here is the link to the entire article:
http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/95/2/1263

As with any experimental treatment on any animal, I feel this needs to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 am

That is so horrible Cindy Very sad Seeing red/mad It breaks my heart. Grants should be stopped for these horrific acts...wish this stops...this is just terrible 🇳🇴
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:10 am

There is absolutely no reason to do such an innocent creature than has no voice in the situation.
It's cruel and sick. It makes me so mad that I feel the top my my head may explode. Pigeon Experiments 64198
Thank you Cindy for taking the time to read the article and tell us about it. Thank you for telling us how you feel.
Your white hat is in the mail.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:31 am

Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad I just DON'T get it I just DON'T get it Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Man stuff like this makes my BLOOD boil!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Although I hadn't replied to this topic before, I have been giving it my best consideration. I read the article in question, plus also the previous ones on the subject, featuring research from several different countries, and I am presently trying to find out more about it.

Any kind of experimentation done on animals is anathema to me, but I have some hope that, given the nature and scientific rigour of the study, and the authorities that endorsed it, the procedures may have been rather like the ones used to study and treat sleeping disorders on humans, which should have no harmful after-effects on the pigeons.
This kind of research into spacial awareness and memory is, I understand, being done to help sufferers of Altzheimer's and dementia, whose relatives know first hand the agony of seeing their loved ones retreat into a world of their own, where they cannot be reached. This doesn´t mean that it's okay to 'volunteer' pigeons or other animals for anything that can harm them or cause them discomfort.

I think it's time that all research involving animals should either stop or show much more consideration and clarity concerning the welfare of the animals involved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pigeon Experiments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Experiments   Pigeon Experiments Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeon Experiments
Page 1 of 1