Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?

Go down 
+3
pigeonwriter
Matilda
Beth
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Beth

Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Empty
PostSubject: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

I recently caught a pigeon with a string injury, and took it to be cared for, but was worried that it might have young somewhere that it was feeding, and taking the pigeon might cause the baby to starve.
I live in Chicago, and this was one of hundreds of street pigeon, so I have no idea where a nest might be, or how to find it.
Fortunately, I was able to get the pigeon taken care of and released a couple of hours later, but this made me wonder if it is ever better to leave an injured pigeon on the street, just in case it might be caring for young.
My sense is always to catch and help an injured bird if possible, but I wonder how others have handled this issue (in cases where there is no way to know if there are young pigeons in a nest somewhere).

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 am

Great question.

Personally, I always deal with the injured/ill bird at hand.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am

Beth - I think you have absolutely done the right thing. What sense would it make to leave an injured pij that could possibly starve to death the long way than to quickly help and release if you have the chance. Even in a case where it has young - there is still the other parent to care for the babies if necessary. Pigeon angel Way To Go
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:31 am

Agree with Petra. I feel it's better to catch an injured or ill bird and try to treat it so that it may have a chance at life. There are high chances that it might not make it, if left alone. It may get caught by predators, run over or even succumb to its own illness/injuries.

We can only pray and hope that it may not have any young to feed or at least the other mate is around to take care of them.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:09 pm

I agree with what has been said. It is always better to treat the injured bird as quickly as you can then release it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 am

Bird that needs help is bird with life threatening problems. If we don’t help she will not survive alone.
Yes it is possible that this bird has young to feed, but pigeons live in pairs. Unlike mammals, both sexes produce crop milk and both parents feed babies.
I personally like to make sure that once I start treating bird, I finish my job properly and bird is released only when fully recovered.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 am

I'm sorry I'm coming in late with a reply to your post, Beth. Disappointed

You have presented a very good question. Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? 142829
I agree with what the others have mentioned.

A good rule of thumb is, if a pigeon is grounded and doesn't take flight when someone approaches it, then there is something definitely amiss, especially in the evening.
If the concern might be that it's a parent and have babies in the nest, given that it can't escape it wouldn't be able to get back to the nest anyway.
The pigeon needs to be scooped up, if for no other reason (initially) than to remove it from a predators (human as well as four legged) path.

Thank you for helping that little pij. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?   Is it ever better to leave an injured  bird on the street, in case of young? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it ever better to leave an injured bird on the street, in case of young?
Page 1 of 1