Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!

Go down 
+2
Matilda
AnnieBirdy
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Empty
PostSubject: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

he had fluttered down from a high ledge way above a shop. I have been feeding the parents of these babies for weeks, and I am guessing/estimating that Graham is about 6 - 8 weeks old. Today I went out of the market as usual to throw nice food down for the adults, and there, all alone on the pavement, right where I throw the food was Graham. I thought it was odd when he didnt back away as I approached to put down the food. So i walked right up to him, and he just stepped away a bit. I thought ''This isnt right somehow!''. So, I clapped my hands and jogged on the spot to make him take flight. he tried, but only managed a rather poor flutter. Squinting upwards to the high ledge, I started to count the babies; one..... two..... Oh nooooo, where was baby number THREE???? Right here it would seem, by my feet. I tried again to make him fly, but he couldnt. Bending over him, I could see that the beautiful, clean soft feathers on the elbow of one wing were a bit 'ruffled', and it looked like he had lost a couple.
Well, I could see that he wasnt going to be able to fly UP as far as he had flown/fluttered down, and I knew if I left him there on the very public pavement that some idiot would most likely look at him, and see a football Evil, wrong doing So, as there was nowhere around safe to leave him, and there was no way to get him back up on his high ledge, he had to come home with me. And here he is. I think probably only for a few weeks until he is stronger and fully fledged, or however long that takes. His 'sore' wing has indeed lost and roughed up and couple of feathers, but on examination the movement is nice and easy, and there dosent SEEM to be a fracture. However, a trip to the vet will be happening tomorrow, just to be sure.
He hasnt eaten much at all this evening, but it is getting late and he is very tired, natural sleep-time combined with a bit of shock and exhaustion I think. He did eat and drink earlier so am not too worried at this point, as he is fully feathered and almost fledged; certainly well beyond stubby, patchy baby stage. If he shows no interest in the morning, out will come the feeding bottle. If THAT fails, then, young man, your temporary carer, Annie McPhee ( heehee ! Laughing My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 604757) may have to resort to the crop needle, so I suggest you start doing THIS My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 789920
Anyway everyone, thats the story of Graham so far! Please throw in advice, criticism, whatever you feel I need in order to help him get back home as soon as possible!

Here he is below, in his temporary accomodation My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488
Back to top Go down
http://www.precious-wings.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Good thing you were there. I'll bet he doesn't know how to eat on his own yet.

Here are some pre-written instructions that I use for babies his age. ...makes weaning very easy.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:01 pm

Thankyou so much for that Charis My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 I have both peas and sweetcorn in as my birds and bunny and hamster love them! I shall feed him those in the morning when I get up (About 6am)
Its near midnight here now, and he is deeply asleep. I would say he is slightly on the thin side over the breastbone, but not worryingly so. His poops in his cardboard transport box wernt exactly the healthiest looking, but then again, I dont think mine would be if a total alien stuffed ME in a box away from all I was familiar with. They did look a bit better once he settled in his cage, but I will take samples to the vet, and no doubt he will provide a nice fresh sample on the way My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 638569

Ohh the temptation to keep him is strong *slaps self round lug'ole* My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 559177 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 559177 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 559177 I will not steal his freedom from him. My plan is to release him right by where he came from, do you agree?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Annie...at this point...until you know he is okay and eating on his own...I wouldn't let him go.
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Oh no, I have no intention of letting him go yet, I promise! I meant when the time comes to release him, should I take him back to where he began My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406 Poor little mite cant even fly at the moment, and believe me, round here there are many who think it is a good and natural thing to boot a poor pidge My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 319297 I will ensure he is fit and strong and flying well.
Its only a matter of weeks ago that someone in at least his 30's swung a hefty kick at my wild ASPO pidge friend. Fortunately he missed or the kick would have severely hurt or killed Aspo. UNfortunately, for the idiot, I was mopping the salon where I work on a Sunday and saw him do it. I however, did NOT miss when I ran outside like a screaming mad woman and belted him with my heavy mop. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 103255
Anyway, am going off topic as usual Embarassed is there any way to make him a home made safe nappy/diaper that you know of? I really dont want to keep him caged indeffinatetly or he'll never learn to fly. No worries if not, an used to cleaning up after the winged ones My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:57 pm

So glad you were at the right place & the right time Annie My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 395766 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 116281

In your loving hands I'm sure he will be up & flying in no time. Feeling great
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:59 pm

AnnieBirdy wrote:
Oh no, I have no intention of letting him go yet, I promise! I meant when the time comes to release him, should I take him back to where he began My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406 Poor little mite cant even fly at the moment, and believe me, round here there are many who think it is a good and natural thing to boot a poor pidge My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 319297 I will ensure he is fit and strong and flying well.
Its only a matter of weeks ago that someone in at least his 30's swung a hefty kick at my wild ASPO pidge friend. Fortunately he missed or the kick would have severely hurt or killed Aspo. UNfortunately, for the idiot, I was mopping the salon where I work on a Sunday and saw him do it. I however, did NOT miss when I ran outside like a screaming mad woman and belted him with my heavy mop. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 103255
Anyway, am going off topic as usual Embarassed is there any way to make him a home made safe nappy/diaper that you know of? I really dont want to keep him caged indeffinatetly or he'll never learn to fly. No worries if not, an used to cleaning up after the winged ones My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406

I think that when you let him go...it needs to be into a flock that has a regular supply of food. Do you feed the birds from your place? If so, maybe that would be the best place.

I would like to have seen you go after that fellow. It must have been a sight! That's too funny

Honestly...I don't know of any home made diapers for pigeons. I have ordered them before but my pigeons have hated them and so I haven't forced them to wear them.
Maybe other members will have a diaper idea for you.
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

So glad you were at the right place & the right time Annie My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 395766 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 116281
Fortunately Im there 5 days a week, and despite protests and complaints from market security and managers, my regular flock there get 3 good meals a day Happy

In your loving hands I'm sure he will be up & flying in no time. Feeling great
Thankyou so much, I sure hope so! I hate seeing a bird grounded x My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488

I think that when you let him go...it needs to be into a flock that has a regular supply of food. Do you feed the birds from your place? If so, maybe that would be the best place.
Yes, I do, every day, around three times a day. My lovely flock have grown from a few to about ten My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130

I would like to have seen you go after that fellow. It must have been a sight!
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130
Oh Charis, I nearly took his head off his shoulders, it was great! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 526287 Laughing Its a fabulous mop, great big head on it, and a thick sturdy wooden handle. It really did the job well!

.[Honestly...I don't know of any home made diapers for pigeons. I have
ordered them before but my pigeons have hated them and so I haven't
forced them to wear them.
Maybe other members will have a diaper idea for you
/quote]

Oh ok, I'll not bother then, Id hate to upset him. Poor thing will be stressed enough, and if he's a good shot, he certainly wont be the first pidgie to provide me with some organic hair conditioner Wink
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm

ROTFL ...organic hair conditioner...I like thinking of it that way. My hair is very well conditioned! ROTFL
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Just throw towels over the things you don't want pooped on when you let him out to fly. That's what we do for Scooter, our house pigeon. I just bought towels that coordinate with our living room. And besides, he has a perch where he spends most of his time, so the poops are not so much all over. LOL.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Matilda wrote:
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 2378 ...organic hair conditioner...I like thinking of it that way. My hair is very well conditioned! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 2378

I hate when that happens! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 4187
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Graham is a little darling, Annie. I love it/them
You have been tending to 'needy' pigeons for a while, yes?

I love the 'mop' incident. YESS!! Off with his head!! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758
YOU rock LOTS!!

We would love to hear how things are coming along with this sweet little one. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:12 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Matilda wrote:
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 2378 ...organic hair conditioner...I like thinking of it that way. My hair is very well conditioned! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 2378

I hate when that happens! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 4187

Hmmm, they can have rather a twisted sense of humour sometimes these birds Laughing I remember, years ago, holding my hand out for my change at some open air fete when Id bought something. Next thing, sperrrrrrrLATTT, and I have a great handfull of burd turd. That was a double My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 4187 Laughing
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
Graham is a little darling, Annie. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 334215
You have been tending to 'needy' pigeons for a while, yes?
I have indeed Cindy My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406 Ive tended to loads over the years, mainly older pigeons with injuries or canker problems. Even reared a very young baby woody. Havent come across a nearly fledged infant until today though, so am back to square one as a beginner again Happy

I love the 'mop' incident. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 766985 Off with his head!! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 373866 LOTS!!
It was a joy and a privilege! The sound of the THHHWACK!!!! as the mop head connected with his head was pure orchestral to me My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130

We would love to hear how things are coming along with this sweet little one. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 458406

Oh I will most certainly keep you all updated My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 395766 Because I know you will all care deeply about his progress, and also because I know if Im doing something wrong you will tell me, or if I could be doing something better, you will tell me. I will be all ears and eyes for certain My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 526287
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

AnnieBirdy wrote:

AZWhitefeather wrote:

I love the 'mop' incident. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 766985 Off with his head!! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 373866 LOTS!!
It was a joy and a privilege! The sound of the THHHWACK!!!! as the mop head connected with his head was pure orchestral to me My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 am

AZWhitefeather wrote:
The sound of the THHHWACK!!!! as the mop head connected with his head was pure orchestral to me My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130

[/quote]
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758 [/quote]

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130 You know Cindy, I just KNEW we'd get along! We even share the same taste in music! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 226817 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 7471
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am

AnnieBirdy wrote:
AZWhitefeather wrote:
The sound of the THHHWACK!!!! as the mop head connected with his head was pure orchestral to me My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 982130 You know Cindy, I just KNEW we'd get along! We even share the same taste in music! My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 226817 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 7471

High 5 Thrilled
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 am

A nice update on Graham My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 he is doing really well, eats like a king, and can now FLY Happy Dance Hip Hip Hooray Happy Dance Thrilled
I discovered this new achievement on returning home from work last week to discover his cage door open, and no sign of graham. The rascal has forced the grip off his door, opened his door, and gone exploring. I found him watching me with a smug look on his face as I searched the room in panic. He was quite happily perched atop the avairy! After a rather fun game of ''you cant catch me for a penny cup of tea'' he eventually conceeded that I COULD catch him, and was returned to the safety of his recovery cage. His wing is much better now, but he still favours his left leg a bit, so I am still keeping a close eye on that. Also, his fledling friends outside the market havent yet flown the nest, so until they do, he will stay put anyway.
Will upload pics of cheeky chick sitting on top of the aviary like King of the castle, as they are on my other computer.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:33 am

Great update on Graham, Annie. My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 116281
Looking forward to seeing the photos. Smile
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:47 am

Nice to hear that he's doing well. Must have been something to find him out of the cage like that. LOL. Sounds like a smart one!
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

here is the cheeky rascal Happy My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488
My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Grahamandbenj001

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Grahamandbenj002

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Oh, look at that face! I love it/them It looks like he's grinning!!! Laughing

Thanks for the update, Annie, it's great to hear he's doing so well! Way To Go

I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of 'organic hair conditioner'... My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 321758 Mind you, best avoid the seagulls... ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am

Graham is looking wonderful, Annie. Happy Dance What a little sweetie. Tickled Pink
Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Well, today I saw that his same age 'siblings' had flown the nest. I know he is now really at maturity, or at least, mature enough not to need to be 'parented' as such. However, although he is well improving physically, I felt I had more to do, in order to prepare him for the wild. SOOOOOOOO, not as much good quality food today. I brought home some scraps from the market cafe where I work. Discarded fried egg, bacon fat and rind, a smattering of baked beans. I fed him a bit of this rubbish instead of his usual well conditioned natural wild bird food and veg. Why?? Because in the wild, he will mainly survive on rubbish, left-overs, scrap and cr*p that people discard. Over the next week, I intend to toughen up his digestive system, get his sweet body used to what he will mainly survive on. I can NOT release him knowing what he will eat out there, and knowing I have not helped prepare his body to cope with. He will have tasters of all the stuff we know we should never really feed a bird, simply because, what we should never really feed, will most likely be what somehow keeps him alive. I am starting to feed him junk food, I am, I hope, truly preparing him for release. I am also shaking him off my hand when he hops so trustingly on to it. he is simply not safe venturing out into the wild with too deep a trust of the human species.
This part is so very hard, I want so much to cuddle him, cosset him. And it wuld be sooo easy. But selfish, and cruel. I am being hard, because deep down I know, that for him, 'hard' is kind. He has to survive out there, and I doubt very much that his parents would have taught him that human cuddles and intimate contact are good. I am his parent now. I have to think like a wild bird, not like a soppy, soft hearted human.
It's not easy being true to the wildies, is it Very sad
But I owe it to him My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Oh, and by the way, I am crying as I type, because I guess I love him. Ok, I love him. The hard part is loving him 'enough'. That is so hard My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488 Very sad My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! 983488
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!   My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new rescue today! Baby Graham Pidgington!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next