Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

what can i do?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ohnos

ohnos

what can i do? Empty
PostSubject: what can i do?   what can i do? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 12:52 am

Meanie cat brought a dove in.looks like he only got ahold of a wing. Part is torn on the end. Can my vet do anything? And what can i do? I dont want to just put it back outside cuz we have too many cats around.right now i have it on my bed surrounded by large pillows. confused
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

what can i do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what can i do?   what can i do? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:44 am

Welcome to Pigeon Angels, Ohons. Hi there/Bye

For whatever reason (e.g. too young to fly, ill or possibly a preexisting injury), the dove was grounded and therefore allowing the cat to catch him.

The good thing is the cat brought the dove to you. what can i do? 142829

In what general location do you live? The reason I'm asking is a rehabber or vet, who treats pigeons, might be nearby who could assist you.
You can certainly call your vet and ask if they treat doves and if not, perhaps they know of a rehabber who can.

You are exacly right, in that you don't want to put him back outside.
If you have a small carrier or even a box, that you could line with a towel, to put the dove in would be good. It's best to keep them quite and away from family and/or animal traffic.

Is there any chance of posting a picture of the dove and the injured wing?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

what can i do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what can i do?   what can i do? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Ohnos,

Thank you for rescuing the dove! (Is he a collared/mourning dove, or do you mean dove=pigeon?)

Yes, your vet should be able to help the bird, even if he isn't an avian vet. The dove will need an antibiotic immediately, as it's not uncommon for birds who survived a cat bite to die within 72 hours because of the resulting infection.
Which antibiotic and how much will depend on his age and weight. If your vet's is open tomorrow (Saturday), please take the dove there, as the vet can give him an antibiotic injection. If not, try to get hold of Synulox 50mg tablets, and if you can weigh the dove we will guide you thought it.

Good luck! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

what can i do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what can i do?   what can i do? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:02 pm

How is your rescue doing, Ohnos?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what can i do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what can i do?   what can i do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what can i do?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon Rescue, Suspect Injury-
Jump to: