Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Feral Lurking!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Augerbit

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello all, I found your forum while searching for information on feral birds. I have a feathered guest outside my home and I'm not sure what to do about him.

Feral Lurking! 2011-06-02_pigeon

I know very little about birds, but I suspect this is a Texan Pioneer Pigeon. The bird has lurked about my house for two days, waddling around the driveway and up into the bush area shown in the picture. He is capable of flight, occasionally perching on the rain gutter. He seems outwardly healthy - no limping, clear eyes, solid beak, no overt sign of injury.

He is, however, not going anywhere and he isn't building a nest. He is fearless to the point of a deathwish, nothing phases him - my car approaching, the noisy garage door, lurking window-cats, curious teenagers... he calmly stares it all down and waddles about to keep a two-foot distance.

I'm in south Texas and we're suffering a drought with record high temperatures. Perhaps he is dehydrated and resting? I've placed water out for him.

So, pigeon aficionados, what should I do about this fella? I don't mind him hanging around but if he is ill or needs relocation I'd like to do it.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Welcome to Pigeon Angels, Augerbit. Hi there/Bye
It's nice to have you here.

Many thanks for being such a kind host. Pigeon angel

Your beautiful little visitor isn't your typical 'feral' pigeon. This is not to say he isn't a feral, just not the common checker or blue bar.
The fact that he isn't phased by noises or movements makes me think he may be a pet that, for whatever reason, has found himself living life on the wid side.

Does he have a band on either or both legs?

It would be great if you could catch him and place him in a carrier or some kind of enclosure and observe him for a few days, just to make sure he's OK. Feral Lurking! 142829
As a temporary diet, wild bird seed would be good.

Please let us know how things go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Augerbit,

Your visitor is very handsome! I love it/them
My guess would be the same, that he is used to people and doesn't understand about predators, so he must have been raised in a safe environment, probably as a pet, and he's just a bit freaked out at the moment being a stranger to the place.

That kind of heat has also been known to dehydrate birds and tire them out. There's been some pretty serious weather in parts of the US in the last few days, and that may have something to do with him getting disoriented and lost.
If he is wearing a band on his leg (can't tell from the photo) it will be possible to know where he came from and to trace the owner.

Water and bird seed are a great idea. Perhaps he'll fly back home when he's rested.
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 am

How are things going, Augerbit?
Back to top Go down
Augerbit

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:47 am

Apologies for the delay in response. I kept some water out for my driveway guest over the weekend. He perked up by Monday and, apparently, has decided to become a local resident. I'm not certain where he is roosting but I suspect it is nearby, I see him occasionally in the yard. He's fluttering and waddling about more animatedly and enjoys when I water the yard in the early morning.

I'm pleased he's doing better, thanks for the fine advice.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you so much for the update, Augerbit! Feeling great
It's wonderful to know that he's doing better, and decided to stick around and enjoy the company of a friendly, very special human! Feral Lurking! 142829 Happy Dance

I also have a very pretty visitor who decided to stick around. She's a pedigree racing pigeon and I reported her presence here to the Federation, who contacted the owner -- who couldn't be bothered to do more than say, 'Please set the bird free'.
I did, but she stayed around. She may be one of many to him, but to me she's special! I love it/them
I've called her Principessa, my little princess, and this is her story:
http://www.pigeonangels.com/t2725-463210-10-por

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 10:55 pm

We so appreciate the update, Augerbit. Thank You circling
I'm glad your visitor has decided to stay around your place. Sounds like he is very comfortable and feels safe. Feral Lurking! 142829

Please let us know how he is doing as time permits. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi, Augerbit! Hi there/Bye

Is your visitor still around?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feral Lurking! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Lurking!   Feral Lurking! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feral Lurking!
Page 1 of 1