Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Empty
PostSubject: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 pm

This insect is a blood-sucking parasite which causes a great deal of discomfort to the pigeons, and can cause anaemia and transmit protozoal (and possibly other) infections.

You can always tell when a pigeon has this parasite, because the pigeon will stomp and preen madly, to try and dislodge it.

The pigeon fly is about the same size as a house fly, but thinner, and on close-up there are several differences. The most striking is that it walks more often than it flies, a curious, sideways movement, and when present on a pigeon you can see them darting in and out of the feathers sideways.

Today one of them landed right on my desk -- right on cue, to allow me to video it. Note the way it moves:

These are the best close-ups I could get of it:

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly DSCNB9545-r550

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly DSCNB9546-cc550

I'm sorry to say (no, I'm not!) that the model is no longer with us...

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly DSCNB9547-r400
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Teresa, thanks a lot to this video, it's really incredible! I'm also starting to get too familiar with this insect, because the feral pigeons that come here everyday, most of them have it (yes... Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 106767 Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 44767 ), and many of them also have strings attached to their feet, and as you know I've been trying to catch them for a few weeks with no sucess yet.... And the thing is, there were a couple of these flies that already came very near me, because I pass some periods of time just standing there, trying to gain trust to catch them, and sometimes they even fly out of the pigeon, so I already got the chance to check them very close, and they way they move is totally diferent from what I've seen till now, because they seem to walk to the side, and even their legs are long, just like if they were a fly with spider legs, it's really nutter

What do you recomend me to do, to help them with this? Should I get a spray and spray them? But you know how ferals are, they run away very quickly, and I'm also trying to catch them to take the strings off, so I really don't know what I should do... Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 106767
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Btw, Teresa: these are really nice pictures, good close ups, Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 395766 Congratulations

I'm sure the world will aprecciate your effort and work! YOU rock Good post Cool photos and video! Thank You

Last edited by Rosa on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to say thanks ! =))
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks, Rosa!

I know what you mean about trying to get rid of the flies on a feral that doesn't come close enough. I have treated my whole feral flock with Ivermectin, but today I saw a fly on a pigeon -- I don't know if he wasn't here the day the flock was treated, or if the treatment wasn't effective. I have NO idea I'll have to watch the others carefully and see.

The spray I posted a picture of is really the best I've ever tried. But it only works if we can catch the pigeons... or the flies (YUK!!!).

PS. PIGEON FLIES CAN STING CATS AND DOGS -- I wonder if they will sting us too.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 am

Serious EEK!! What a shock that must have been to see that fly land on your desk. YUK

Thanks for posting the pictures and video. Many people hear about pigeon flies but have never seen one, which is a good thing actually, but it's also good to know what to look for.

Thanks for the heads up about the spray too. Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 142829 Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 1:58 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
Serious EEK!! What a shock that must have been to see that fly land on your desk. YUK

Thanks for posting the pictures and video. Many people hear about pigeon flies but have never seen one, which is a good thing actually, but it's also good to know what to look for.

Thanks for the heads up about the spray too. Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 142829 Thanks

Yes it was... horrible things! But at least there don't seem to be any more in the veranda, now I've put up the screens.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm

The Ivermectin seems to be working...

I saw a fly on Achilles, after he had been treated, but it must have been a new one that had just come in through the window, because if flew off, in a wobbly fashion and disappeared from sight near a bookshelf.
I found it a couple of hours later, dead, on top of my unfinished map! Oh no Oh no Oh no YUK

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly DSCNB9568-r550
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm glad the Ivermectin seems to be doing it's job. Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 142829
Those darn flies really are nasty little critters. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pijipie

pijipie

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Guys just a quick tip if you get poultry dust and put it in the area where they land it will kick up in the air and land on their feathers. It will help stop the pigeon fly problem. Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly 395766
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm not sure how I could do that, as the flies come in through the windows and can be found in any room, often on the walls or ceiling, and they are usually only found after they've landed on a pigeon, another pet, or us. That makes it very hard to know where to put the powder.
I suppose it's the problem we get with pigeons that live inside the house, and areas that can't be systematically dusted because of children and cats.
Back to top Go down
pijipie

pijipie

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 am

You could also try putting up Fly paper i've seen a few pigeon suppliers sell that stuff.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 8:19 pm

I hadn't thought of that! Good idea, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly   Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pseudolynchia canariensis, the pigeon/turkey fly
Page 1 of 1