Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HowdoIPigeon

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Empty
PostSubject: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I have very little knowledge on baby bird raising.

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Fxtqy11
This is him.

I don't have the resources or knowledge to raise a pigeon, so I don't really know what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Looks to me like your rescue is about 10 days old. Keep him inside and keep in warm. A heating pad, set on the lowsetting works well.

As you don't have experience with birds, follow the included prewritten instructions. Where are you located, incase we know of a rehabber near by?

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas make the crop feel lumpy and squishy.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 am

Thank you for your prompt help and advice, Charis!

HowdoIPigeon, according to the time zone of your post, you could be in Australasia or Australia, is that the case? Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find rehabbers over there, but if you follow Charis (Matilda's) instructions, you will be able to look after the little one without much difficulty or expense until he's ready to fly out on his own.
The baby appears healthy, just a little too young to fend for himself. In 2 1/2 or 3 weeks time he should have his feathers fully developed, and before that he will have learnt to eat and drink for himself. If you are going to release him as soon as he's ready, it's best to avoid too much contact with him outside meal times, or he will think you are his parent! Laughing

Just a note about how to provide water:
The best way to introduce a baby to drinking is to gently dip his beak in a bowl of tepid water, making sure that his nostrils don't go in the water. This photo will show you what to look out for:

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. DSCNB6138-rc

The reason for using tepid water is that, at this stage, the baby won't have experienced any food or drink that wasn't at body temperature, so giving him water at body temperature makes it much easier for him to accept it. You may need quite a few tries before he gets the idea, but he will! Smile And once he's got the hang of it, you can give him the water at room temperature.

Best wishes for you and your little guest, and thank you so much for taking him in and giving him a chance to make it! Please keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:25 am

Welcom to Pigeon Angels. Hi there/Bye
I hope you don't mind, but I reduced the size of your photo.
Many thanks for taking in this adorable baby.

As Teresa mentioned, little contact, other than feeding, watering and cleaning quarters is best. Once they have become imprinted on a human it's more difficult to fend for themselves in the wild.

A little note about the crop:
Here is a comparison photo of a full and semi full crop (these babies were a week old). This may help you gauge the baby's crop.
These two were also fed by their parents. The one on the right had just been fed.

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. 2008-021

Please do keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:49 am

LOL, he IS full!!! I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. 46723 Great photo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.   I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have an estimated 1-2 week old pigeon.
Page 1 of 1