Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lorimansell

Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Empty
PostSubject: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I was on my way home today and saw a pigeon rolling around in the middle of the street street. I stopped and picked it up very carefully and have placed it in a box in my livingroom, with a towel and a small bowl of water. I am afraid to mess with it too much, in case it has injuries. It is not using it's wings and it's tail seems very crooked. It is turning it's head to the right repeatedly (constantly) and blinking it's eyes. It is not interested in food or water. I suspect it has a neck or spinal injury? It is not making any noise. I am very worried that it is in pain. I don't know what to do. I don't have any funds to take it to a vet, or I would. Is there anyone in Tucson that does pigeon rescue and rehab? I can take a picture/video with my phone and email it. I'm not sure what to do. It's breaking my heart!
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Forever Wild?   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:38 pm

I was told to take him to Forever Wild Animal Rehab - Darlene - or take it to Valley Animal Hospital 4984 E 22nd Street. Does anyone know about these places?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Oh the poor little thing! Very sad You could well be right in your diagnosis, it's very likely he was hit by a passing car.

Here are some rehabber contacts for Arizona -- unlike vets, they don't charge for treatment, but I believe in most cases they will ask you to make a small donation to help with the expenses.

Arizona (Rehabbers)

East Valley Wildlife
Nancy Eilertsen
Chandler, AZ
(480) 814-9339
EastValleyWildlife.org

Fallen Feathers
Jody Kieran
Peoria, Arizona
623-533-2348
www.fallenfeathers.org

Closest to you is the Tucson Wildlife Center (520-903-1104, 520-290-wild after hours, http://www.tucsonwildlife.com/ )
but according to our records they're very good with raptors and songbirds, but not pigeons or doves.
I'll see if I can find any more information.

In the meanwhile, try to give him a few drops of hydrating solution at body temperature (Pedialite, or a mix of 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 litre of water), simply by dipping your little finger in it and running it along his beak opening. That way you won't have to touch him until his condition can be assessed.
If you have any Metacam in the house, one drop in the beak twice a day (for a maximum of 4 days) will help alleviate the pain.

Thank you for helping the poor bird. From what you said he seems very badly injured, and I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Universal hug

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:58 pm

lorimansell wrote:
I was told to take him to Forever Wild Animal Rehab - Darlene - or take it to Valley Animal Hospital 4984 E 22nd Street. Does anyone know about these places?

I don't know those, but I'll ask our Arizona members. It would be a good idea to contact them by phone first and ask about their policy concerning the birds that are taken to them, like for example if they euthanise those that could be saved but cannot be released and whether they would let you have him back after treatment.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 7:37 pm

I've messaged our two members nearest to you and sent them the link to this post. I hope they may be able to help. Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 983488
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: UPDATE   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 7:55 pm

He is not interested at all in taking anything by mouth. I've "force fed" birds and fed orphaned baby birds back in college (20 years ago) so I could do that to him. I am afraid of causing him any pain. Right now he has his head tucked in and is resting. I could take him to Phoenix (Chandler/Peroria) tomorrow - they are both about 100 miles from me. I will contact both those rehab people. I do have Metacam, which I had for my dog - but it's not in liquid form - I'd be happy to crush it and mix it in liquid, but I want to make sure on the dose. I don't want to bother him if he's happy resting or is controlling his pain by not moving - but I also don't want him to be in unnecessary pain or hungry/thirsty. Last time I found an injured pigeon it was very interested in eating and drinking - this one is not. He seemed very disoriented earlier. I'm worried because noise (although I am keeping it quiet for his sake) and my looking in on him doesn't bother him - he barely moves when I do so - but he is in the resting position that my "pet birds" used to rest in (before I knew better and was against pet birds of any kind). Not sure what to do! I will try again to give him something via dropper and keep trying to contact the rehab people you listed. Thanks so much. If anyone wants my email/phone number or to see a picture/video or see him on webcam, please PM me.
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Oops    Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm

I read that wrong. I won't try to give him anything with a syringe or anything. You advised running it along his beak with my finger. I will try that. I don't want to mess with his head/neck if he has an injury. Thanks. I will keep you guys posted.
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Okay. I got a hold of a rescuer in Chandler (about 75 miles away). I will take him to her tomorrow. In the meantime, he is resting in an open box in a dark room, on a towel, with water and food available. I am worried that he is in pain as he's not moving much at all - and he was moving quite a bit before. But he is calm, sleeping, and is moving his head to the right and left now, which makes me feel better. I won't handle him except to run some water on his beak with my finger. I will take him to the rescue person tomorrow. Thanks, everyone.
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Just read this on rescue site   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Please note that older wild birds show stress by becoming very still and quiet. People often interpret this as "the bird knows I am trying to help it"; but in reality, the bird is in extreme stress. Prey animals (animals that are preyed on by predator animals...including humans) think they are going to die. Don't handle juvenile or adult birds any more than necessary. Don't pet the bird as you will be causing it fear. While baby birds just want someone to feed them, the older birds need dark, quiet containment away from people and pets.

So I guess he's not calm, but stressed and scared. I'm sure he is wondering where he is and what my intentions are, and I'm sure he suspects they are bad intentions! Anyway, he's in a dark, quiet room alone and away from people and pets. I left the box half open so he's not so enclosed but he also has privacy and maybe feels a bit more secure?

Let me know if there is any other advice or any ideas on what to do while we are driving tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi there/Bye Just want to say..... Thank You and your EVER so KIND heart for actually stopping and helping this poor baby! Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 983488 cheers

I am wondering who it is that will see the bird in Chandler?

Did you ask about the bird being treated vs. PTS if it can not be released?
I only ask this due to the fact that, if they are treatable injuries but they require a vet to treat, sometimes they haven't a choice but to PTS. Dr. Funk who is in Mesa is a VERY reasonable $ vet....please let him know I've (Jenn Phipps) sent you, if you need to use him. I have worked closely with him on a few cases now. I haven't anything but pure LOVE to speak about him or his staff.... he and THEY are EXCEPTIONAL beyond words. They have given many of my angels their very life back. I live in Tucson as well, and I will FOREVER make the 1 and half hour drive.
His office can be reached at: (480) 833-7330 Address: 858 North Country Club Drive, Mesa, AZ

As for the car ride, with an injured bird it is not easy on you ... nor them. ((Oftentimes I have questioned if it was worth it... and I can ASSURE you ... until QUALITY ....care can be found here in Southern AZ, Phoenix is where the proper care is for these birds. Trust me.
Many see them as throw aways....and sadly their fate when you leave them in hands you thought would care ....is a death sentence. keep this in mind))
With our temps headed over the 100's tomorrow.... make sure to wrap his cage ... so the air conditioner doesn't chill him. Keep the radio low. If he isnt walking around...or even if he is... find a small basket and line it with a dish or hand towel...and create a mock nest to place him in... it will also help to keep him stable...for the turns and bumps... another things that helps is the "bumpy" placemats that are like foam... they also make a drawer liner of the same material.... it helps them to grip on and find a stable position.

I wish you the best of luck, AND THANK YOU Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 142829 for helping to advocate for him!
I send all my best wishes for tomorrow!

Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Thanks   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks for the advice on transporting, and the vet advice. I will give them a call as Mesa is pretty close to Chandler. The place is one that was recommended in the thread. She was very nice, seemed very concerned about him, took time to talk to me and respond to my email as well, to look at this pictures. He is awake and alert now, moving around and drinking if I put water on his beak. Not too interested in his food yet. I will keep you up to date, and I won't leave him anywhere that won't either rehab and release him or keep him.
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Where the little guy is going:   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:44 pm

This is where he is going to:

East Valley Wildlife
Nancy Eilertsen
Chandler, AZ
(480) 814-9339
www.EastValleyWildlife.org
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Thank you so much, Jenn! Thank You

Lori, it's great that he's managed to get a little to drink! Your concern for the fact that he appears so calm is justified, as wild creatures only stop being wary of humans when they feel very unwell. But he's had a very traumatic day, and it's just possible he's very tired and glad of a warm, safe place to rest.

I'll be thinking about you and your patient, and hoping he gets better. Let us know how it goes! Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I forgot to mention the Metacam dosage...

The suspension I use has 1.5 mg per ml, and you only need one drop (0.04 ml), equivalent to 0.06 mg of active ingredient.
So if the tablets you have for your dog are 2.5 mg, you need to give him 1/4, and if they're 1 mg, half a tablet or just a teeny bit over a half.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:35 am

Hi Lori,
Thank you so much for taking in this little one. Pigeon angel
Many thank to you and Jenn, Teresa, for your help and support. Universal hug Universal hug

Jenn, Nancy is a veteran rehabbers up this way. Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 142829
She was recommended to me back in 2002. Since I've been very fortunate to have my little backyard flock healthy and haven't found any ferals in general needing assistance, I've not seen her in quite a while but she was my main 'rehabber' contact early on.
She will only recommend PTS if there is no other alternative.

I will be thinking the most positive thoughts and wishing you and your little rescue the best, Lori.
Please let us know how your visit goes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
lorimansell

PostSubject: On his way to Chandler today at 11am   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:35 am

The pigeon is on his way to Nancy in Chandler today! Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 983488
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Feeling Better?   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:51 am

It seems he may be feeling better because he doesn't want me anywhere near him, is eyeing me warily even if I am in the same room, and won't let me close enough to put water on his beak. He also moved around quite a bit in his cage last night and made a big mess, which I hope is a good sign! I can't really tell if he ate or drank, but I hope he did. I'm getting him ready for his trip now. I'll make sure he's cushioned, the carrier is strapped in, and it's covered to protect him from the AC and being more frightened. Hopefully Nancy can figure out any injuries and get him back on his feet (and wings). I'll ask her to keep me up to date, and then share it with you guys. Thanks for this site and all of your help and advice and referrals. I'd be lose without you guys.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

I hope you had a good trip up to Nancy's and she had a chance to diagnose what was wrong with your little patient.
Please keep us posted! Smile
Back to top Go down
lorimansell

PostSubject: Update!   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm

He made it to Chandler yesterday and she could not find any injuries! He's in with another pigeon of his approximate size and age and is apparently doing well! I am hoping the assessment is accurate, and that maybe he was just disoriented or had a concussion. I know there is no guarantee since he hasn't been x-rayed or anything, but she is experienced and feels that he's doing well - so that makes me happy! Except now I feel guilty because I picked him up and sent him 100 miles away! What if he isn't injured and I moved him far away from his friends/family/familiar environment? If she thinks he can be released, I will go get him and bring him back here an release him in the park near where I found him.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:55 pm

That's really good news, I hope all he had was concussion and it's wonderful to hear he has no injuries! When you said that he was acting suspicious of humans, that was a very good sign.
He's a very lucky pigeon, especially considering how unwell he was when you picked him up!

It's very kind of you to consider bringing him back to his native environment to be released one day. I look forward to that day! Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 395766

By the way, how did your other rescue from last year fare?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 116281 Can I just say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE pigeon people! Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ 395766

So happy to hear the great news!

pigeon 1 @ Cindy, I need to talk to you too, I'll call you sometime this week! (( its GOOD news for once LOL))) Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ   Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found Injured Pigeon in TUCSON, AZ
Page 1 of 1