Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 am

I do not know whether it is appropriate to post this here but it is a call for help I received this morning from the Manhattanbirdclub - I am just passing this on:

"A woman from the Philadelphia area is looking for help with an injured pigeon she found. She suspects that the wing is broken. The bird is also breathing rapidly.

I cannot find a rehabber in Philly! Can anyone help out with this? I will paste her report and info below. (She already got the bird some seeds to eat and situated him safely and as comfortably as possible - not sure if it is eating or drinking though) Thanks!
-Jenny

Hi, I have an injured pigeon that I picked up in northern liberties. I have him in the back of my house, in the yard, in the shade under a canopy. I put him in a box and wrapped him in a towel to keep him warm. I hand "fed" him water. He doesn't seem to be drinking on his own. There is water and rice left out for him. Is there someone in Philly that would be willing to help? You can reach out to me on my email:lauree.hayden@gmail.com or on my cell 202 412 5906? He is breathing rapidly but is slightly more alert than earlier. I think he is in a lot of pain. Thank you for your help. best, lauree"

I apologize if this is not acceptable in this forum.
I just try to help from the distance....
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:29 am

Hi Petra,

It is very appropriate to post here. Charis is our USA resources person and might know of a place.

I googled for "wildlife rescue" + Philadelphia, I came up with some suggestions but I don't know whether they accept feral pigeons and so many restrict themselves to native wildlife.

There is also the question of whether they would euthanase an injured feral rather than treat. They will certainly kill if he is unreleasable.

She could try the Shuykill Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic, they are one of the ones that specify birds must be native to the US but they dealt with a racing pigeon rescued around 9/11. At the bottom of their webpage there are addresses of other centres in NJ, some of which take all species. She should be able estimate the travelling time from her home better that I can.

http://www.schuylkillcenter.org/departments/wildlife/
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks Petra for the heads up.

As Cynthia stated, it is quite appropriate to post here. Smile

As Cynthia also mentioned, Charis oversees the resource contacts here in the US and I believe she's working on trying to find this person some help.

Again Thank You for alerting us. That's networking at it's finest. Pij-n-Angels Rock

Cindy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Thank you!   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 am

Wow - that is awesome! This is true help and networking. I wasn't sure about this because I have experienced some strange reactions in other forums when you did such a thing like this. But then this is an entirely different case and an entirely different bunch of people who really love their animals. # 1 not just talking!!!

I am glad that you found me - Jumpin for joy
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am

I did work on this fro a couple of hours yesterday. I never make a referal unless I have personally confirmed that the organization or person I am referring to will take or treat a Pigeon or feral Pigeon.

I did find a veterinain...Karen Rosenthal, 215-573-8565... that will treat all pigeons at the clinic she works at but there is no break in cost for a feral Pigeon. Karen told me she really likes Pigeons which is a step in the right direction.
Dr Rosenthal suggested the Schulkill Center but I was unable to make a personal contact with them...just a recording. Again, If I can't verify that they will treat a feral Pigeon, I can't recommend them. Anymore the needless risk of euthanasia is high especially now that it's baby bird season.

A really good way to find a rehabber is to contact the local Humane Society and often they will have a list of private rehabbers. By the time I started the search yesterday, they were closed in Philadelphia.

There is another similar situation in Pittsburg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon   Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call for help from Philadelphia area - injured pigeon
Page 1 of 1