Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

To Clip or Not To Clip?

Go down 
+2
pigeonwriter
TwinTails
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TwinTails

TwinTails

To Clip or Not To Clip? Empty
PostSubject: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 6:49 pm

So I've come to a cross roads with the birds. I love having them out and about, pooping on everything and having a wonderful time. My concern is that we don't have screens for our windows nor out patio door (and we live in the desert, so having everything open when it's nice is needed, esp. with 5 indoor cats [re: cat pans!]). So, my thought is to clip their wings so they can't fly out the door. but I am not sure if I should do it? They don't attempt to go for the open window (there is usually a cat sleeping there, plus the rats are right there too), and we can close the curtains so that it looks like the door is closed. I am just wanting your opinions on weather it would be safer for them to be clipped or not? I do realize that I can't control everything, and that if they one day decide to fly away there won't be much I can do (other than call for them, leave food out and pray I can get them back). They have no fear of anything, not even the cats (they have learned that pecking them scares them off, lol). Any opinions? I still don't have bands for them, so that's another big concern - I don't want them to escape then be treated like common street birds Disappointed
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 am

To be honest - never ever I would clip the wings of a bird! Rather take precautions - such as a net or screen in front of a window than clipping their wings and deprive them of what they are made for - flying!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:14 am

I wouldn't, either. It would be very sad if they couldn't fly (my flightless pet Piper would give anything for that chance) and that would make them very vulnerable to predators.
A bird determined to escape, WILL escape, even if that means walking. The more experienced pigeon keepers here will be able to advise you on how to train them to come back.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:25 am

Agree with Petra and Teresa.
Is it possible for you to buy those expandable screens that fit in windows? You can buy them at most hardware stores. For the sliding door, you can buy a screen curtin. NiteOwl know what they are called and I will ask her to comment.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 am

The worse thing you can do is to clip the wings of a bird that can fly. If one of your cats should decide to play "cat and mouse" with one of your birds, pecking may not do it. In last defense, they can always fly away. If they can't fly, they have absolutely no protection. That is their greatest defense. Being able to fly. Taking that away from them is cruel and unfair to the animal.
The half screens that you can buy, VERY CHEAPLY, can be put in all the windows. And the heavy screen curtain that Charis was talking about is called Pet Sreen. You can buy different lengths of it at most hardware stores today. They come 36" wide, and 45" wide. A friend recently bought some, just a bit lighter in weight than what I use. He got it at home depot for about $13, and it is large enough to cover a storm door. I believe it was 84" (7 feet), by 36" (3 feet). Even the sliding door could be covered with it by sewing twoo lengths together.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone Smile You confirmed what I felt deep down. They are doing very well, not going for the door or windows, they would much rather sit behind me and peck my hair, lol. So I won't clip their wings, ever, thanks again! pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 2:40 pm

TwinTails wrote:
Thanks everyone Smile
You confirmed what I felt deep down.
Generally going with your instinct is the best bet.
I also agree with the others.
We wouldn't want anything happening to those two sweet babies. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 6:31 pm

TwinTails wrote:
Thanks everyone Smile You confirmed what I felt deep down. They are doing very well, not going for the door or windows, they would much rather sit behind me and peck my hair, lol. So I won't clip their wings, ever, thanks again! pigeon 1

You may need to put them outside in a cage for periods of time, some where that they could see all around your place. It would be like putting them in a settling cage for people who fly their birds. Eventually, if those windows remain open without screens, they will find their way outside. Better if they are familiar with the outside of your place just in case they should fly off. Maybe they would be able to recognize it and come back. I know you may not want to, but I'd definately put half screens, the expanding type, in the windows. And a pet screen on the slider. Just give it some thought. You made a great decision to not clip their wings.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:30 pm

It's not that I don't want to put screens in, it's that we can't. We're in a rental and we're not allowed to do anything like that, heck we can't even put Christmas lights up in the winter :( But yes, I will let them get to know this area by having them out on the balcony (in a cage) on nice days Wink
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:59 pm

TwinTails wrote:
It's not that I don't want to put screens in, it's that we can't. We're in a rental and we're not allowed to do anything like that, heck we can't even put Christmas lights up in the winter :( But yes, I will let them get to know this area by having them out on the balcony (in a cage) on nice days Wink

The screens are something that you expand and push to the sides of the window frame, under the opened bottom window. They don't screw in or anything. You take them out when you close the window. Why would you not be able to use those in a rental? They aren't permanent, and don't hurt anything. I never heard of not being able to use a screen that removes when you close the window.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Hmm, I will have to look at those :) We have sliding windows (the kind that slide left & right), so maybe those screens would work too?
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm

TwinTails wrote:
Hmm, I will have to look at those :) We have sliding windows (the kind that slide left & right), so maybe those screens would work too?

Those screens work with double hung windows that go up and down. The pet screen could be hung over them though, when the birds are out.
Don't know what to tell you. I really hope you can solve the problem. If you do, please let us know.
I would probably build a frame that would fit into the open part of the window, and put screening in it. Put it in the open part, then just pull the window back toward it until it holds it in place.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Awesome, thanks :)
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

I wish you luck. Please let us know if you figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Clip or Not To Clip?   To Clip or Not To Clip? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Clip or Not To Clip?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon and Dove Pets-
Jump to: