Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hello from Bangkok!

Go down 
+9
Teresa
rattyfied
Capuccino
Matilda
pigeonwriter
Cynthia
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Siam Sam
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 pm

You really have the activity on your balcony, Sam. That's too funny
Love the updates. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Junior is attacking Susie.
I've been asking for advice for a similar problem with Hercules and Piper, and then as soon as they reconciled, it started with Pippin and Sammy Sue. Does Junior do that all the time, or is it just at the height of the mating season?
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm not sure Junior's old enough to be involved in mating season. We think he's maybe 3 or 4 months old. He and Susie will eat together okay, but then Susie crosses some sort of invisible line, and Junior chases her away.

Nothing much new has been happening lately. I did see another young Henry-looking pidgee, possibly the next-to-last one we saw before, not the one last one with baby fuzz. Definitely a male, it was doing the Angry Dance over on the window frames and cooing belligerently at a gray pidgee. He flew off after the gray when it flew away and has not been back. That was a couple of days ago.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Well...I suppose it's a distinct possibility, that all the pigeons that frequent your balcony, are some how related.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 6:52 am

Appreciate the update, Sam. Smile

Matilda wrote:
Well...I suppose it's a distinct possibility, that all the pigeons that frequent your balcony, are some how related.

I think that's a very good possibility. Wink
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 8:42 pm

We think there are new eggs somewhere. Maggie rarely stops by now, and we think that means she's busy with that. But why she wouldn't stop by during Henry's shift on the eggs we don't know. She stopped by yesterday (Friday) for the first time in a while. Henry keeps coming by all the time. Before Maggie stopped coming by regulalry again, they were doing it regularly.

Most mornings, Susie and a normal gray pidgee will be waiting on the window frames, and when I stick my head out the door, they'll both come flying over to the rail. We think the gray one must be Susie's sibling despite being completely non-Henry-looking. Must just take after Maggie. There's no apparent romantic involvement whatsoever, but they're always together. And when they eat, they shove sideways against each other, like they're trying to push each other out of the way, but it's not a fight.

But most of Henry's children have that Dalmation look. There's no use his denying paternity. A new one just started coming by in the past week. May be the one we saw before with baby fuzz on the head, but there's no fuzz now. Seems a bit awkward. And this is cute: The first time we saw her, she walked ever so cautiously up to the dish of water we keep out there, gave it a tentative peck and then FREAKED OUT. Flew straight up in a panic. She obviously expected that to be a solid surface, and when her beak penetrated the water, her "danger" alert must have gone off big time. We think that may have been her first encounter with water. She did return after a while and take a couple of sips. We've named her Karen, because she has a tubelike pattern on the back of her neck that makes her resemble the long-necked Kayan people of Burma.

Suddenly, I can no longer get the Insert URL command to work, so here is some info on the Long Necks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayan_(Burma). Note: Ah ha! I think it's the "(Burma)" part that's screwing it up. Can't seem to make it be part of the URL. It must be included in the address, or alternatively you can just click on the link that's here and then go to the entry for the ones in Burma.

Anyway, there are some in Thailand, in Mae Hong Son province bordering Burma, and they are part of the Karen group. Although it's actually pronounced Ka-REN (and the Thais say Ga-Riang), we're using the normal Western pronunciation of Karen. Pretty sure she's female, as she seems feminine.

And Henry has taken even more to jumping up on the little ledge the sliding glass door runs along on and pressing up against the window to get our attention for food. Smart guy! Happy

Will try to post new pics soon, maybe this weekend. Always seems to take forever for me to do that.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I think you could write a successful soap opera using your pigeon flock members as the characters. Laughing
I'll be looking forward to the pictures...especially Karen.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:59 pm

I agree! Happy
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Teresa wrote:
I agree! Happy

Me too!! Happy Dance
I loved your update, Sam.
Things pretty much stay 'hoppin' on your balcony, that's for sure. Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 4:05 am

It IS a soap opera. Laughing

No photos of Karen, I'm afraid, but she did stop by briefly this morning, so maybe I can get one of her. And yet ANOTHER little Henry offspring came around. This one had the barest vestige of baby fuzz left sticking out a little on the head and back; you really had to look closely to see it. How many kids does he have??

Someone asked me whether pidgees won't nest in their feeding area. Pointed out that back when Big and Little Pidgee were nesting here, we weren't feeding them, just giving them water. Then we started putting out food in a futile attempt to prevent Little Pidgee from abandoning poor little Bob, and now we can't get Henry and Maggie to nest here.

Of course, Big and Little Pidgee picked our balcony to begin with because we were upcountry, and they must have thought it was peacefully abandoned. But they did keep nesting here. Do you know if they won't nest in their feeding area?

Will work on those photos.
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 4:43 am

Siam Sam wrote:
Do you know if they won't nest in their feeding area?

i'm no expert but my two have a nest just inches from where i feed them
they've build, removed and re-built it and take turns to sit or snuggle up together
no eggs yet, but New-Missus is sitting on it as i type

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattyfied/sets/
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 4:58 am

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. Henry did try to stay here one night but seemed rather put out that we did not go to bed at sunset. The lights and activity inside made him clearly anxious. Whereas Big and Little Pidgee thought at the time that they were getting an abandoned unit, then possibly just stayed out of inertia.

I think I heard it's the male who chooses where to nest? Since Big stayed elsewhere at night, maybe he wasn't too worried if Little Pidgee was disturbed at night, but he did take to staying here some nights himself. I think we may have failed the test with Henry though, but he does enjoy our cuisine.
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 am

Siam Sam wrote:
Henry did try to stay here one night but seemed rather put out that we did not go to bed at sunset.
my 2 don't mind when i go to bed but can't understand why i don't rise with the sun...me sticking to the human mechanical clock makes their breakfast "late" Oh brother

Siam Sam wrote:
I think I heard it's the male who chooses where to nest?
yes, but the wife may not approve!
he has a scout around and when he finds somewhere he calls his wife
if she likes it he will bring nesting materials and she arranges them
New-Missus did not like Apollo's 1st choice (where he raised his previous kids)
but he does keep trying to persuade her
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 am

And now, the promised new photos! Happy

Thursday, May 20
Lazy Susie. Yes, she's eating while lying down. That's Dad on the right, of course.

Sunday, May 23
Susie and Henry enjoy separate servings. Henry often chases Susie away if she gets too close while eating, so we sometimes try to give separate portions. Susie's head is a blur because she's pecking away quickly.

This one is good, as it shows the little Eurasian tree sparrow that stops by several times a day. The pidgees always ignore it, and it must think it's one lucky bird to have found this treasure trove of food. Nervous little guy, always hopping around. I think the wife took this shot.

Wednesday, June 23
Jumping ahead a full month, we see daughter and Dad still eating. Whether Henry's here or not, Susie will wait for me most mornings over on the window frames, flying over as soon as I poke my head out the door. She's usually with a gray pidgee that I thought must be her sibling, but the wife has convinced me it looks too old to be her sibling. Just friends, I guess.

Saturday, June 26
Henry up on the little metal ledge that the sliding glass door runs along. That's Maggie on the right. Henry jumps up there every time he wants fed now, having learned this is a good way to get our attention. Smart little man! And you can't help but notice him, as his claws make a scratching sound on the metal, and whereas he does not tap on the glass on purpose -- at least, I don't think he does -- when he turns his head, his beak inadvertently taps.

Sunday, June 27
A better view of Henry on the ledge. He's not shy about us coming up to the window, and again, he has learned this is how to order breakfast. Or lunch. Or his mid-day snack or dinner.

"Please, sir, may I have some more?"

And a right profile. There is just enough room for him to turn, causing his beak to tap on the glass.

And again, you can see all of Henry's photos over the past 10 months on one page here.

Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 am

it doesn't take them long to work out how to have us running around after them does it? Wink
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Appreciate the update and pictures, Sam.
Such beautiful pijjies. Star quality
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 pm

The new one is starting to show up regularly now. Not the one we named Karen; haven't seen her for two or three days. It's the other one I mentioned, still sporting the very last vestiges of baby fuzz. Yesterday (Sunday) she (seems feminine, thus "she") did what we've seen other young pidgees do when eating near their parents: Squealed like a squab while pecking at the food. Even though they are not asking for a feeding, it's like a habit that they squeal while eating, at least near the parents. Susie did the same thing. This new one followed Dad here again this morning and has been hanging around. I haven't heard any squealing today.

I have managed to take a few shots of this one and will post them soon. Don't know if the baby fuzz will show, it's so slight now.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 am

Word is spreading yet again, and we're starting to have another problem with too many pidgees coming around. A lot of new grays out there. But with Henry's active assistance, we've developed a workable system.

As you saw in the last batch of photos, Henry now knows to ask for food by hopping up onto that little metal ledge the sliding glass door runs along and staring inside at us. So when I see Henry first thing in the morning, I'll pour out a pile of birdseed for him. If he wants more, he'll hop up and ask. Really! If any of his family are around, such as Junior or Susie, they can eat too. Many of the grays are monitoring us and will then show up, and Henry usually spends a lot of time chasing them away. If Henry does not want any more, he won't jump up, and I don't pour any more out. He'll usually leave after eating a couple of piles, then we have to stop feeding the others, even Junior and Susie, at least for now.

(Junior is becoming like the lazy son who lounges around all day and won't go out and look for a job. He knows all he has to do is wait long enough, and we'll pour him some food, so he just hangs around all day long.)

I'm usually out and about in the afternoons, but when the wife comes home, Henry is out there waiting for her more often than not. As soon as he becomes aware of someone inside, he'll start cooing, then jump up onto the ledge. It's become obvious he's cooing for food and not for his mate. He'll be facing the glass, staring intently and cooing away, then he'll jump up. (It's too awkward for him to coo while on the ledge.)

This system of feeding Henry only when he asks (except his first serving of the morning) actually seems to be working. I find it amazing that a wild animal has learned how to place an order of food with us, but that's exactly what Henry's doing. Again, here he is up in the window asking for food. And here. Both of these are repeats from above.

Meanwhile, Karen has not come back after her first couple of appearances more than a week ago. The new one seems to like it around here though, but we've not named her yet, in case she disappears; still squeals like a baby when eating. Susie and especially Junior are becoming fixtures. We wonder where they all sleep at night. And Maggie only stops by once in a while now; we figure she's busy with new eggs somewhere.

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 am

I find it amazing that a wild animal has learned how to place an order of food with us, but that's exactly what Henry's doing. Again, here he is up in the window asking for food. And here. Both of these are repeats from above. quote

They are very smart birds and capable of so much more than placing a food order. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 395766
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 am

I so enjoy your updates, Sam. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 395766

As most of us have found out, the 'word' definitely gets out around townon where the 'hospatality' places are. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 46723

"(Junior is becoming like the lazy son who lounges around all day and won't go out and look for a job. He knows all he has to do is wait long enough, and we'll pour him some food, so he just hangs around all day long.)"

That is too funny!! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 pm

How are things going, Sam?
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 10:24 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
I so enjoy your updates, Sam. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 395766

As most of us have found out, the 'word' definitely gets out around townon where the 'hospatality' places are. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 46723

"(Junior is becoming like the lazy son who lounges around all day and won't go out and look for a job. He knows all he has to do is wait long enough, and we'll pour him some food, so he just hangs around all day long.)"

That is too funny!! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 321758 LOL LOL LOL
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Everything's settled into a regular pattern. Henry will sit and coo at us if he wants fed, and if we're not fast enough with the goodies, then he'll jump up into the window. Sometimes he'll bypass the cooing stage altogether and just jump up into the window right away. we always feed him then even if there are other pidgees around, because he's formally asking. But he often gets into fights with the others, and we'd prefer to put out food when it's only him around. Maggie disappears from time to time but always shows back up, so we're not too worried; must be busy with eggs during her absences. She's around regularly now. Junior keeps staring at the spot where Dad jumps up, as if he's trying to figure out what exactly Dad does there to get us to bring out food; a little dense, he can't quite understand the jumping-up bit.

Some days when I'm out and about, the wife will return home late in the afternoon to find Henry already standing staring into our place. Not up on the rail, but on the balcony and close to the window, staring inside expectantly. We hope on the days we're not home until after dark that he finally gives up and goes to look for food on his own. And the rains have returned with a vengeance; we've had several tropical downpours lately pushing the bugs up out of the ground. Have seen other pidgees hunting around on the mansion grounds next door.

I'll be in Laos for a few days this week or next. The wife may or may not go with me. Her availability depends on exactly when I go. It won't be a long absence like Vietnam in April, will be just a couple of days, but there go poor Henry's meals again.

Meanwhile, this morning (Sunday morning), a frail black-footed one showed up. We're wondering if it's old, as it's turning white on the face. Do pidgees start turning whilte like humans do with their hair? That's the impression this one gives anyway. Seems exhausted and tired. Just wants to rest. We're wondering if it's the former Blackfoot returned; he disappeared ages ago. This one keeps hiding behind the tree pots to keep from being hassled by Henry and the others, who all want to chase it away.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 am

I so enjoyed your update, Sam. Thanks

I'm glad things are going smoothly. Smile

You mentioned Henry being without food for a couple days while you, and possibly your wife, are gone. I was just thinking . . . There are feeders for dogs and cats where you fill it up with hard food and it disperses slowly so they have food available all the time.
Do you think that might be an option for your Henry (and Maggie), providing you can find one of those feeders?

"Meanwhile, this morning (Sunday morning), a frail black-footed one showed up. We're wondering if it's old, as it's turning white on the face. Do pidgees start turning whilte like humans do with their hair? That's the impression this one gives anyway. Seems exhausted and tired. Just wants to rest. We're wondering if it's the former Blackfoot returned; he disappeared ages ago. This one keeps hiding behind the tree pots to keep from being hassled by Henry and the others, who all want to chase it away."
With regard to this little fella, my guess is he might be feeling a bit under the weather, for whatever reason. Not feeling well
Would you be able to catch him and check the inside of his mouth for any signs of canker?

Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks. Looks like the wife and I will both be heading into Laos on Wednesday. Just for a couple of days. No, I doubt I could find a feeder here, and even if I could, it wouldn't be just Henry and his family using it. Others would be swarming over the balcony. We're hoping our time away this week will thin out some of the crowd again, it's just becoming too much. We put a little down for Henry at his request, it looks like no one else is around, then Wump! Nine or 10 appear out of nowhere. If that wasn't noticeable enough, Henry then starts brawling with them all. It's becoming too high profile again. But we figure Henry and his family will still be around this weekend; they were still here after three weeks in April. And the rains are so heavy now that lots of bugs are being pushed up in the ground; we've seen groups of pidgees over on the mansion grounds feasting away.

That "old" one left, but then it showed up again today briefly. The other pigeons, including Henry, all attack it. Seems to want to belong to a group. Left again after a while. :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bangkok!
Page 12 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Balcony Pigeons-
Jump to: