Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Deliberate poisoning

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Deliberate poisoning Empty
PostSubject: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:07 am

I don't have the words to express my rage and my grief. Very sad
I just found out that on Mon. 14th the entire flock of pigeons from Praça 8 de Maio appeared dead, victims of deliberate poisoning. I haven't been going to that part of town and I hadn't come across any other pigeon people recently, so I didn't know. The police are investigating, but nothing is known yet. Animal lovers point an accusing finger at local shop-keepers, who 'didn't like the mess'.

I would appreciate any info/links relating to poisons commonly used in this way, namely
how to recognise when someone is dishing out poisoned food and first aid for chemical poisoning.

Sorry, can't handle this. I'm off to take a deep breath.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 am

This is the place, photo taken late last winter. (The arrow points to Noel).

Deliberate poisoning DSCN9599-r
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

Teresa wrote:
I don't have the words to express my rage and my grief. Deliberate poisoning 319297
I just found out that on Mon. 14th the entire flock of pigeons from Praça 8 de Maio appeared dead, victims of deliberate poisoning. I haven't been going to that part of town and I hadn't come across any other pigeon people recently, so I didn't know. The police are investigating, but nothing is known yet. Animal lovers point an accusing finger at local shop-keepers, who 'didn't like the mess'.

* I would appreciate any info/links relating to poisons commonly used in this way, namely

how to recognise when someone is dishing out poisoned food and first aid for chemical poisoning.

Sorry, can't handle this. I'm off to take a deep breath.
OMG!! This is horrific, Teresa. Deliberate poisoning 103255 Deliberate poisoning 103255

I am so sorry to hear this. Deliberate poisoning 319297
* Here in the states Avitrol is the poison of choice. Deliberate poisoning 103255
The way it's used is untainted seeds are put out for the birds for a few days.
Once they become 'comfortable' with them then seeds tainted with Avitrol is put out. Deliberate poisoning 103255

Here is some info on it: Avitrol
It makes me sick to the core that this stuff hasn't been outlawed.

Please do keep us posted on how the investigation is going.

I think it's time for a BIG Deliberate poisoning 6049 .
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am

OMG...this brings back horrible memories of my childhood. I'm too sad and angered to reply further right now. I know you understand.

Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 am

That is awful Teresa!

Avitrol affects the nervous system. But if you see a bird that you suspect has eaten food laced with avitrol, even if it is not having convultions, milk its crop by turning it upside down and squeezing the contents out as if from a plastic bag. Then give it activated carbon and get it to a vet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Teresa, I am absolutely speechless about this cruelty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 1:00 pm

I will not comment what I think about this act and killers. Evil, wrong doing
Just wanted to add that egg white straight in the crop after milking crop binds all poisons too. After that treatment with calcium helps get rid of the rest of the poison.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

The problem with Avitrol is that once the seizures start yoy might not be able to open the jaw so you have to act on suspicion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Many thanks for the advice, Cynthia and Plamenh, I've made a note of what to do should I come across a poisoned bird.

I've checked the list of pesticides approved for use in Portugal, and Avitrol isn't one of them. This is the list in English:
www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Country.jsp%3FCountry%3DPortugal+brodifacoum+Portugal+sellers&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pt" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:ClhckKCRHH0J:www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Country.jsp%3FCountry%3DPortugal+brodifacoum+Portugal+sellers&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pt

I suspect that what we are dealing with here is Brodifacoum, but I would discourage all but the toughest-hearted from finding out what it does.
God help the poisoners if I get my hands on them...
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 6:41 pm

This morning, somebody tampered with the park pigeons' water.

It was fine just after 4 am, when I went out with the dog, but at lunchtime today the two containers in the centre of the park were fuller and cleaner than they should be and the water was dyed a clear, dark brown. It was odourless.
The pigeons weren't drinking there, they were drinking from the rainwater pools instead. They were all fine.
I emptied the containers, washed them and replaced the water.

There's something really strange about that. Somebody took care to empty and clean the containers before refilling them (I know how mucky they can get overnight) and there's been no water at the park (again) for days, so that person would have to carry the water there, both to clean the containers and to refill them. Now... why would anyone go through all that trouble only to fill the containers with brown water?... Deliberate poisoning Suspect
Naturally, I started to wonder what could be clear, brown and poisonous, and the only such substance I know of is potassium permanganate. I asked at the chemist's and they confirmed it's odourless, but the colour of the solution isn't right.
I thought then I should have got a sample, but with two dogs in tow and the pigeons closing in when they saw me, my first thought was to get rid of anything noxious asap. But I've warned the chemist's (they're opposite the park) and one of the other people who put water there.
And I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on this.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:44 pm

I sure hope this isn't developing into another 'incident', Teresa, but it does sound like something might be amiss.
I will be 'thinking positive thoughts' that all the pijjies remain safe. Deliberate poisoning 803589

Please do keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 am

Not again Teresa, I cannot believe this! I really hope someone catches the Illegitimate squab. I am not going to tell you what I would do with him/her... Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Not again Teresa, I cannot believe this! I really hope someone catches the Illegitimate squab.
I am not going to tell you what I would do with him/her... Deliberate poisoning 64198 Deliberate poisoning 64198 Deliberate poisoning 64198

I hear ya, Petra. Deliberate poisoning 226817
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Not again Teresa, I cannot believe this! I really hope someone catches the Illegitimate squab. I am not going to tell you what I would do with him/her... Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad

My thoughts entirely. I am the world's greatest pacifist... until I see someone harming a defenceless creature. Then... Heaven help me

No brown liquid today. I'm keeping watch in between classes etc. During the weekend me and my camera will be able to spend longer periods of time there. Believe me, if I catch someone trying to harm even more pigeons or whatever, they WILL regret it.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:12 am

You will really need to be on guard now. Makes me so mad! Seeing red/mad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:05 pm

I went back a few more times during the day and there was no brown water. I also spoke to the nearest pet shop to 'Poison' Square (the pet shop owner is pigeon-friendly) and to a few people who feed the pigeons there: they believe whatever it was, was put in the water, but none actually saw it or knew what it looked like.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm glad there were no more 'brown' water incidents, Teresa.

Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Still ok -- fingers crossed.
Three of the containers were kicked to kingdom come between two of my visits. It really bugs me, when I've got to cart 10 litres of water there to fill them up, but at least nobody harmed any pigeon.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Wouldn't it be fun to put up a small camera to see just who is messing with the water?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the upset containers, Teresa but glad to hear the pijjies all seem to be doing OK. Deliberate poisoning 142829

Matilda wrote:
Wouldn't it be fun to put up a small camera to see just who is messing with the water?

I was just thinking that when I read about the containers being in disarray.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 5:15 am

The idea of the camera also crossed my mind, but apart from the logistical difficulties I think it may be illegal, for anyone other than a law enforcement agency, to put a camera in a public park -- as it is used by children and courting couples, I might be accused of all sorts! :eek:

Water container football is an established summertime/weekend activity, unfortunately. It just takes a kid with nothing else to do, an angsty teenager, or an adult in a bad mood.
Even yesterday, as soon as I'd refilled the water containers, a boy kicked a football in their (and the pigeons') direction. I shouted at the boy, the mother shouted at me, and I shouted back at them, calling one a vandal and the other a bad parent. Not at all satisfying, this kind of exchange -- it doesn't feel that anything was achieved, except maybe that the boy won't do that again when there's people watching. Having a bad day
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:01 am

Teresa wrote:

The idea of the camera also crossed my mind, but apart from the logistical difficulties I think it may be illegal, for anyone other than a law enforcement agency, to put a camera in a public park -- as it is used by children and courting couples, I might be accused of all sorts! Deliberate poisoning 443628

Although the camera is a good thought, I believe you're correct.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:39 am

Teresa,
would it be an idea to arrange some kind of watch between a few people, where you would not be noticed and then jump on the evidence with a camera? I don't know the location but perhaps you could take a book to read or something else.
I know I am sounding stupid because it is difficult to make time for such a thing and time is so precious. I am just thinking....

But what is obvious to me is there are some really stupid and ignorant people around and I just could not imagine what I would if I were around... Deliberate poisoning 106767
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:11 am

Or booby trap water containers. Splash of paint in the face will discourage poisoner and made it easy to spot when leaving the park. Watch "Home alone III" to get some ideas. That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deliberate poisoning   Deliberate poisoning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deliberate poisoning
Page 1 of 1