Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

the story continues...

Go down 
+8
joyful_pigeon
Jenaka
Teresa
AZJourney
pigeonwriter
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
rattyfied
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

the story continues... Empty
PostSubject: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:03 pm

it started back in aug09 when i spotted a white pigeon nesting in the corner of our balcony,
after that i saw her husband, then their squabs hatched
it's all here

as Luna disappeared before the squeakers fledged, i didn't know if Apollo would be back, but at the beginning of this year i was walking round our flat when i heard his unmistakable voice and, peaking through the letterbox, i spotted him checking out the differences to the balcony

a little while later i saw his new ladyfriend, another red bar but slightly pinkish in her main colour where he is more blue

over the weeks he tried to convince her to move in but i guess she didn't want to live in the ex's old place!

i tried to show her that it is a good location by sprinkling just a very few flaxseeds or breadcrumbs - a snacksworth so's not to alert all the pijies (& my neighbours)

they kept returning, more frequently and for longer it seemed - though they were checking out another flat meanwhile

last week Apollo was so loud and insistant with his calling i thought i might re-christen him "Foghorn", she took notice and a new nest-site was approved a few feet away from the original...and day by day the construction grew

the story continues... Rimg0610 the story continues... Rimg0611

wanting to keep an eye on them without disturbing them and, if possible, only pass by when they weren't around (difficult - it's the access to our flat!)
i decided to build a periscope

the story continues... Rimg0612

so here are some surveillance photos taken through it

the story continues... Rimg0613 the story continues... Rimg0614

that's Apollo, New-Missus is vary wary...i swear she can she me through the device but i'll try to sneak a pic soon

the front door is fitted with a spy-hole which is handy when they roost above the door to the stairs

the story continues... Rimg0615 the story continues... Rimg0616

New-Missus is on the left in both pics

updates soon Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattyfied/sets/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Appreciate the update, rattyfied.
I love the 'periscope' pictures. Way To Go Very cool, (and smart) idea. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Laughing ...I love it! You are a very good detective and quite smart your method of surveillance. I will be looking forward to pictures and up-dates.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 am

Very funny indeed, rattyfield, to "spy" on the pijjies like this! I love it/them Tickled Pink
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 am

I love it~ Hmmm Your a Pigeon P.I. (private investigator) Great pictures too! :Yes: I Will be waitng for the story to unfold! :Yes: pigeon 1 the story continues... 35455
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 pm

I love the periscope! I love it/them You clever thing, Rattyfied! Way To Go
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Yes...quite a sleuth, our rattified. Laughing
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

no new pics i'm afraid, but i do have an update :Yes:

a few days ago i sensed there were pijies on the balcony
i peeked through the letterbox and to my surprise saw a blue chequer eating seeds on the wall
peering down i found a blue bar...not any blue bar but the one that hatched here in the autumn
"he" was strolling over to the corner as if to say "...and this is where i was born"

suddenly they both flew to the back of the balcony the story continues... 106767 ...followed by New-Missus
quacking at them in disapproval she gave them a wing-slap and saw them off Laughing

they've been back, once Apollo told them off and when i spootted them watching me put seed out the other day
one of the pair flew to their roof as if to say"don't even think about it" Happy

Apollo & New-Missus are spending more time here and return almost immediately if disturbed...sometimes even if one of us is still out there
they talk to us too...not sure if it's "can you go away again?" or "more seed please?" but we try to oblige
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm

AZJourney wrote:
I love it~ Hmmm Your a Pigeon P.I. (private investigator) Great pictures too! :Yes: I Will be waitng for the story to unfold! :Yes: pigeon 1 the story continues... 35455
LOL that's a great new title you have there! :Yes: Love the homemade periscope. Maybe you could string 2 cans together and listen in on their cooing! the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Jenaka wrote:
AZJourney wrote:
LOL that's a great new title you have there! :Yes: Love the homemade periscope. Maybe you could string 2 cans together and listen in on their cooing! the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758

ROTFL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 am

Great update, ratthyfied. the story continues... 142829
It doesn't sound like the New Missus takes much feather nonsense. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 am

Jenaka wrote:

AZJourney wrote:

LOL that's a great new title you have there! :Yes: Love the homemade periscope.

Maybe you could string 2 cans together and listen in on their cooing! the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758

the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 am

:That\\\'s so f ...Cute and funny thread. I look forward to updates. Celebrating
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Jenaka wrote:
Maybe you could string 2 cans together and listen in on their cooing! the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758 the story continues... 321758
:lol!:

mind you Apollo is so loud he wakes me up some mornings...he could do with a volume control
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:49 pm

rattyfied wrote:
Jenaka wrote:

mind you Apollo is so loud he wakes me up some mornings...he could do with a volume control

Well...at least you won't be late to where you need to go... :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 pm

rattyfied wrote:
Jenaka wrote:

:That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

as promised...an update - with pics

Apollo and New-Missus are still hanging out on the balcony
some days they are hardly to be seen, others they seem to be here most of the day

the blues are also very interested in the location
New-Missus won't tolerate them but when she's not looking they pop down for a snack

here's the youngster that was hatched on the balcony
the story continues... RIMG0778acmp the story continues... RIMG0779acmp

and i guess this must be his girlfriend - it's always the same pij he turns up with
the story continues... RIMG0776acmp the story continues... RIMG0768acmp

the other day i spotted him in the ivy opposite - maybe he was checking it out for a nest-site...he kept looking around,
and he wasn't eating anything there,
but really it's not a good location - i did tell him as he lost his balance a few times
he's just looking at me here
the story continues... RIMG0801cmp

she waited up on the roof...not particulary impressed
the story continues... RIMG0802cmp
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:21 pm

We always look forward to updates and photos. :Yes: Thanks, rattyfied. the story continues... 142829
The pictures are great. Love the one in the ivy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:25 pm

I love the ivy picture too. He looks quite pleased with himself...as he should. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Nice Thread I just found this thread-- guess I missed it when you first started, rattyfied!

I love the photos! Jumpin for joy Each pigeon's unique personality really comes through when you look at them. My fave is the ivy pic, too.
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Apollo and New-Missus still haven't nested, they visit our balcony - everyday i think - but seem to be making another nest nearby
i've also spotted their night-roost...a pipe sticking out of the wall 1 floor up from us
they are becoming quite trusting now so my "surveillance equipment" is all but redundant

leaning on the wall of the balcony the other day i spotted Apollo on a delivery,
he made a note of my presence on the way past and on the next flight decided to stop for a snack
i had to laugh (silently) when he couldn't drop the leaf from his beak to pick up the crumbs, he shook his head but it was stuck
...he flew away and i guess New-Missus must have taken the gift as he re-appeared immediately and ate all the bread

in the last week both of them have been eating whilst i stand by the door
at first they would just take crumbs from the wall, but now they venture onto the balcony itself
yesterday i even managed a photo-shoot...they were only a few feet away but completely indifferent to the camera

the subtle difference in colour is quite noticeable here; Apollo's on the left, beak full...New-Missus definitely has a daintier head
the story continues... Rimg0813

she flew off once the crumbs were finished, but i still had the box in my hand, so he hung around...and it paid off
the story continues... Rimg0815 the story continues... Rimg0816

later i took a screen-break outside - didn't see anybody but as i turned to go Apollo swooped down and basically demanded a snack!
being empty-handed i told him to hang on while i popped back in to break off some crumbs
he was waiting and ate about 18" away from me, he snatched at the food and did a little tap-dance in between grabs
but got bolder

this morning he turned up as soon as he saw/heard me and ate about 6" from my knee, this pic was taken on zoom yesterday but
he was so close today he would have looked like this without zoom!
the story continues... Rimg0814

when i returned from work i popped out shaking the box of crumbs - they both turned up in seconds from goodness-knows-where
New-Missus wasn't sure about coming too close so Apollo got the snack to himself
he came right up to me, pecked all the crumbs and waited, so i put a few more down, he ate and looked at me
so i put my hand down flat and tipped the bits on the floor - he tap-danced a bit but took a piece on the floor right under my thumb!

it is so amazing to see him trying to work me out, he studies my face and talks to me but i have no idea what he's saying!

having their trust means that i can supply just the 2 of them with a snack, the blues will fly down and peck at the crumb-dust but i don't leave food out anymore...i've noticed other pijies watching and can't have them visiting too, much as i'd love to feed them all!
so with a mixture of training and New-Missus' feisty wing-slap to intruders we should be able to keep the operation low-key

pretty pij watching
the story continues... Rimg0812
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:01 pm

We so appreciate the update, rattyfied. Hi there/Bye
Apollo and New-Missus could pass for twins. :That\\\'s so f They are both quite stunning. Star quality
The little 'spy' looks to be quite stunning as well. the story continues... 142829
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes they are both quite beautiful. They are so smart.

You can try lentils and droed peas for a little snack too...maybe even chopped raw peanuts...yum. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 am

Matilda wrote:

You can try lentils and droed peas for a little snack too...maybe even chopped raw peanuts...yum. That's too funny

I also add barley to that combination. Smile
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Matilda wrote:

I also add barley to that combination. Smile

i tried them with peas a while ago, but they threw them to one side in protest!
they will eat flax seed
my plan is to introduce grains i buy for the rats
i guess being urban pijies i will have to wean them off junk food

the bread is my own special recipe - organic wholegrain with sunflower and flax seeds
so that's a good start
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the story continues...   the story continues... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the story continues...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next