Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(

Go down 
+4
priya
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
spdevanand
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

He does look better. Great job. cheers
I would remove the thready thing underneath his feet though. He could get them srapped around his feet and freak out, causing him to hurt himself. An old cloth or towel underneath him would be good. Just not one with any strings.
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am

Sure Charis, will do that :Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Appreciate the update and photo, Dev.
Your little rescue is looking good. Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 142829
You're doing an aweson job of caring for him. Pigeon angel

Bless you both. Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 983488

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 am

Hey guys,

Just to update you all. Bird is continuing to be good, though not much of progress. Continuing with Enrofloxacin. Will keep you guys posted.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks Dev. How is the birds' neck...still twisty? Is she standing better ?
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm

He's awfully cute. Glad he's at least somewhat better.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Appreciate the update, Dev. Smile
I'm glad to hear that the little one is holding his own. Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Thank you for caring for this bird, Dev (and a thank you to Priya too, of course!). Pigeon angel Pigeon angel

I can totally empathise with the worry, the doubts and the difficulty in discovering what the cause of the neck twisting is.
My rescue Sammy (initially called Rambo) was very listless at first, unable to fly and with her head tilted to one side, before starting to twist her neck and fall over. I took her to the vet, but the vet couldn't decide between PMV and head trauma -- she thought it might be both. And as we found out later, it could also be a number of other things, so I went through some of the stages you're going through now, to eliminate other possible causes and also to fight any protozoal or secondary bacterial infections.

So what was it? I'd have to say I'm still not sure. She had hit something, she had the cracked beak to prove it; another bird I caught at about the same time died of a widespread virus infection and a worm infestation (maybe hairworms) to internal organs. So it could have been head trauma+PMV+worms. She needed handfeeding for 7 months! But she's big and strong now, leading a perfectly normal life, although she can't be released: she can't fly (except for a foot or two, in spirals) and I have to be very careful that she doesn't drown in her drinking or bath water. She still twists her neck sometimes, but don't let that fool you -- she can straighten up in seconds and peck your hand off!!

Whatever the cause is, weak chamomile tea will calm her down a little and help with the seizures, and Plamen also recommended some homeopathic meds that worked well for his birds. You can see the whole drama played out from page 9 of this thread: http://www.pigeonangels.com/pigeon-and-dove-illness-and-injury-discussion-forum-f21/no-rest-for-the-wicked-t506-120.htm and I hope the pics, videos and the advice I got then will be of help to you too.

Hang in there Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 789920 Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Actually...Teresa you jogged my memory...worms very well could be an underlying cause, if not the cause, as the larva can migrate to the brain and cause neurlogical symptoms.
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

@Charis: Yeah he frequently twists his head Very sad but the improvement is that, he has now got some strength to turn around and preen himself completely. He keeps doing this all the time. He opens his wings and tries to flap for few mins. And yes, he tries to scare me by pecking and making sounds. I can feel that he has got some strength in his body since the time he came to me.

@NiteOwl: Yeah, the first day when Priya found him, we both were so worried that he would not even make it till that morning. We both were praying that atleast let this poor bad have some peaceful last minutes. But things changed Smile

@Cindy: Thanks to all of you for supporting us.

@Teresa: Thanks a lot for sharing this info. Even this bird has got similar symptoms, head tilted to one side, head twisting & unable to fly. We are not blessed to have any good avian vets here Very sad I am feeding this bird Enrofloxacin once a day and also little yogurt. Priya saw this bird falling from her apartment at around 2 AM, there was no external injury. I somehow feel there cannot be chances for any bone breakage, because the bird is able to turn around and preen itself completely without any problems. But after he preens, he keeps his head tilted on one side. Often his head gets twisted Very sad Even we are not yet successful in diagnosing whether this PMV or any other problem. I am keeping him warm, in a padded box, hydrated, hand feed and in a quiet place. I will read through plamen's experience too Smile

Last edited by spdevanand on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Dev...do you have wormer?
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Charis, yes, I am right now at office so not 100% sure about this, but I remember having Ivermectin. I will check that out as soon as i get home.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Can't hurt.
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 6:50 am

Charis,

Just checked at home and I do have "Ivomec" & "Moxidectin" with me. Which one should we use and what is the dosage?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:27 am

The instructions I have for moxidectin from the Australian Pigeon Company are 0.25 ml per 400 grams.
If it is the ivermectin I sent you, the instructions would be 2 drops.

Either would be OK to use and you need to repeat after 10 days.

Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 am

Charis,

So, I use either moxidectin / ivermectin only once today and then repeat it after 10 days?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 am

Yes...one time treatment and repeat in 10 days.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Sending healing thoughts and best wishes to your patient.
Group hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm

I hope all is going well, Dev. My best to you both. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:44 am

Charis, I have given moxidectin today. Will repeat it on 12th July.

Thanks Cindy and Teresa Smile I am sure this bird will recover soon with all your prayers Smile

Last edited by spdevanand on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 am

Thank you for letting us know. Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Please let us know how it goes after the worming. If there were any worms. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

spdevanand wrote:
Charis, I have given moxidectin today. Will repeat it on 12th July.

Thanks Cindy and Teresa Smile I am sure this bird will recover soon with all your prayers Smile

And with all care, attention and love you offer. Wink Pigeon angel Universal hug
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:11 am

Hey Guys,

Just an update. Bird is continuing to be same. He still keeps head tilted to the side, rarely gets convulsion too. Today is the 11th day of Enrofloxacin to this bird. How many more days should we continue this?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 am

Dev...I would stop the enrofloxin. The ususal treatment time is 10 days.
Can the bird eat on his own now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(   Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :( - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescued another pigeon, perhaps with PMV :(
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next