Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

A room for the doves...

Go down 
+4
AZWhitefeather
NiteOwl
Matilda
EgypSwiftLady
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

A room for the doves... Empty
PostSubject: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 7:31 pm

In the new building I want to let our 8 doves have a room of their own, they would all be loose to fly throughout most of the room. We would provide plenty of nest, trees, perches, a water feature & enough feeders to stop any bullying.

We are going to have a window that opens to an outside flight for the doves. The window would be the same size as a regular window in a house. A large landing board would be inside & out.

A few years ago I was told that Ringneck Doves are basically really dumb and that they wouldn't be able to figure out or remember to go out or come in.

My question is... does anyone have or ever tried this with doves? I don't want to go to all the cost & work if they aren't going to use it.

I welcome any comments.  A room for the doves... 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Dove are not dumb. Unlike pigeons, they do not have homing instinct and so if they happen to get out side of the the aviary, they may fly off and not know how to get home. Cockatels are the same way.
I think your loft/window/ aviary idea is wonderful. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:21 pm

I think it sounds great too. Even if it didn't work, you could always put them out there on the nice days of summer. I really don't believe that they are THAT dumb. If they are, then how do they find their nest? And how do they return to my yard year after year? I'd try it.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 9:47 pm

It sounds pretty nifty to me, Robin.  A room for the doves... 142829
And I'm quite sure the doves would really enjoy having their 'own' space.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 pm

That's how I keep my doves. They love it. Just make sure they have enough space to get away from bullies.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks all! I love the comments  A room for the doves... 116281

The person that called doves dumb is what I would call a "typical" breeder, by that I mean he bred for color & didn't have any pet doves so he doesn't think of his doves the same way we do.  A room for the doves... 559177

Luna Wolf- I plan to have plenty of sight barriers, silk hanging plants & such, around the different nest. I'm hoping that with enough branches trees & obstacles that any bullying won't even cross their minds! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 am

It sounds wonderful. And I think it will be a lot of fun setting it up. Pictures as you go along so we can enjoy it right along with you. It's so much fun setting things up. Wish I had room for another loft. And the money to be able to afford it! You learn as you go, and there are things that I would do differently the second time around.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:51 am

NiteOwl wrote:
It sounds wonderful. And I think it will be a lot of fun setting it up. Pictures as you go along so we can enjoy it right along with you. It's so much fun setting things up. Wish I had room for another loft. And the money to be able to afford it! You learn as you go, and there are things that I would do differently the second time around.

I totally agree with you on all accounts NiteOwl !

I tend to collect things that I might be able to use with the animals here and my hubby is quite the dumpster diver!!! Great job That's too funny Actually he's on the road all day and on trash day can find some treasurers! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

In the new building I want to let our 8 doves have a room of their own, they would all be loose to fly throughout most of the room. We would provide plenty of nest, trees, perches, a water feature & enough feeders to stop any bullying.

We are going to have a window that opens to an outside flight for the doves. The window would be the same size as a regular window in a house. A large landing board would be inside & out.

That sounds wonderful! I love it/them I love it/them I love it/them Can I move in with them?... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

I totally agree with you on all accounts NiteOwl !

I tend to collect things that I might be able to use with the animals here and my hubby is quite the dumpster diver!!! Great job That's too funny Actually he's on the road all day and on trash day can find some treasurers! Laughing

I know. Isn't it just amazing what some people consider to be trash!? Around here, once a year you can put everything out for the trash. And they will pick it up. It's like one huge yard sale! You just never know what you might find. You have no idea how many cages we have picked up that way.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:43 am

If things are being put out for trash pick up, I assume anything someone finds they might make use of is free for the taking.
That's like a double dose of chocolate frosting on the cake. YESS!! Thrilled Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am

Yes that's right. Except for the recyclables. You are not allowed to touch those around here.
Sometimes someone will also just put a cage or something else that is usable out at the curb. That means they are offering it to whomever can use it. We have picked bicycles up that way and brought them to the projects. The kids are more than happy to receive them. And it's a fun thing to do. Helped a lot when I had my Chevy truck. My little Sunfire makes it a bit impossible to do that now. But I can still cram a cage or something in there when needed. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am

The same is true here too and that's how Caleb goes shopping. His wardrobe is quite unique and I'm taking lots of pictures to share with him in the years to follow.  A room for the doves... 46723
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am

Matilda wrote:
The same is true here too and that's how Caleb goes shopping. His wardrobe is quite unique and I'm taking lots of pictures to share with him in the years to follow.  A room for the doves... 46723

A room for the doves... 142829
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:28 am

Matilda wrote:

Oh that's funny. You should make him an album, and save it for him.
Actually, some day his kids would probably enjoy looking at it. I work with elderly people and one was once making an album to pass down to her children and grand children. It was entitled "When Grandma Grew Up". She included lots of pictures of her growing up, pets, friends, report cards, movie tickets, clothing styles, boyfriends, family members, her wedding, etc. She then passed it down to her children. It was a great album. I loved the idea. You could make one about Caleb, and give it to his kids someday. I bet they'd love it. Include all those styles of clothes you mentioned. When he's grown and probably dressing more conservatively, I'm sure they'd love seeing how he was 'back then.' I know this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but the thought just came to me. I have no idea why. Idea/thought
Back to top Go down
bMaya

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 am

Pets should also be given shelter where they are comfortable enough to stay. Sometimes, it is advisable to let them have some spaces in our homes. We should always keep them attached to us to give them the necessary care they need.

My Pet: eclectus parrot

Last edited by bMaya on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 6:05 am

Robin, why don't you use chlorophytum instead of the silk plants for sight barrier. Pigeons love these plants and always do nibble on them. They are cheap, grow like crazy and you can multiply them yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 am

bMaya wrote:
Pets should also be given shelter where they are comfortable enough to stay. Sometimes, it is wonderful to let them have some space in our homes. We should always keep them attached to us to give them the discipline and the necessary care that they need.

I'm not sure I understand your statement bMaya. But let me explain a bit about how our sanctuary keeps pigeons & doves.

All of our animals recieve the best care & always will.

But here at our sanctuary we try to let the animals live in as close to a natural enviroment as we can, we prefer the pigeons live in flocks if possible... even if that flock consist of 3 birds. If a pigeon is placed with us and for some reason cannot be put into a flock & must live in a cage, the cage is large enough for the bird to stretch its wings & excercise. If the bird can have free time than it is allowed to spend time out of the cage.

When the pigeons & doves live in a "flock" here we only supervise them, we allow the flock to set their own rules. This is what happens naturally in a wild flock. We will definately step in if one of the birds is being bullied or for some reason just isn't fitting in.

I don't believe in keeping an animal "attached to us", as you put it, unless that animal wants to be there.
As for discipline I am the Alpha & when I need to step in I do.

Last edited by EgypSwiftLady on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:37 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Robin, why don't you use chlorophytum instead of the silk plants for sight barrier. Pigeons love these plants and always do nibble on them. They are cheap, grow like crazy and you can multiply them yourself.

I'd forgotten about them! Yes they would be a lovely addition to the doves room  A room for the doves... 395766

I would love to use as many natural non toxic plants as possible, the only problem would be the time it takes to maintain them indoors.  A room for the doves... 395766
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 5:34 am

Robin, chlorophytum is very easy to handle - it just needs water and light. And when they are growing out of their pots - a new one. I don't even fertilize mine - although that is a lie - I sometimes put pigeon poop into the pots Oh no - but don't tell anybody  A room for the doves... 46723  A room for the doves... 46723  A room for the doves... 46723
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 7:50 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Robin, chlorophytum is very easy to handle - it just needs water and light. And when they are growing out of their pots - a new one.

* I don't even fertilize mine - although that is a lie - I sometimes put pigeon poop into the pots Oh no -

** but don't tell anybody  A room for the doves... 46723  A room for the doves... 46723  A room for the doves... 46723

* It makes great fertilizer.  A room for the doves... 142829

**  A room for the doves... 559177 That will be our little secret.  A room for the doves... 46723
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 am

You mean spider plants? These are safe for pigeons to eat? I was thinking that something to grow in the aviary would be nice, but didn't know what would be safe. And they actually eat them?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 am

NiteOwl wrote:
You mean spider plants? These are safe for pigeons to eat? I was thinking that something to grow in the aviary would be nice, but didn't know what would be safe. And they actually eat them?

Yep thats a Spider Plant  A room for the doves... 395766 Happy

We got 9 doves, at the moment, that would be going into the dove room. So I'm thinking we will need quite a few plants so the doves won't concentrate on just a couple of plants.
I better start buying them now when I see them on sale! Laughing
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 am

Think I'll get some for the loft. Then in the summer I can put them out in the aviary. May have to place them back a bit where it isn't so sunny, as they don't want to be in full sun. You just need a couple, and if you can find some with babies already, just replant the babies. You can have a lot of them in no time! That will look nice in the dove room too.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 am

Spider plants are  A room for the doves... 219375 . I love it/them
We would love to see some pictures when you guys post get them situated?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A room for the doves...    A room for the doves... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A room for the doves...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next