Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Favoring One Foot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AOndie16

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am

Our female favors one foot by holding it up most of the time. We took her to the vet, who gave us anit-botic cream and oral medication as she had a spot on her foot that look deeply creased and red.
The foot is now completely healed and she still refuses to use it much.
Any idea's?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:49 am

Although I can't say for sure, your bird may have an infection called bumble foot. Once a bird has an infection and pus build up, the pus needs to be removed by a veterinarian and the bird should be put under anesthesia.
Bird pus is different than ours. It's thinck and so it doesn't come to a head and flow out. Many vets, that don't commonly work with birds, don't understand this infact...people in genreal don't know that bird pus is different.
Odd that you should post this question because I just posted a video about bird pus yesterday. I'll go get the link for you.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 am

Here's a link to the video...

http://www.pigeonangels.com/pigeon-rescue-suspect-injury-f6/important-video-about-bird-pus-t2087.htm#28853

I don't know if your vet has experience with birds. If you want to tell us where you live, I may be able to direct you to a vet that is experienced with birds.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 pm

AOndie16 wrote:

Our female favors one foot by holding it up most of the time. We took her to the vet, who gave us anit-botic cream and oral medication as she had a spot on her foot that look deeply creased and red.

The foot is now completely healed and she still refuses to use it much.
Any idea's?

Welcome AOndie. Hi there/Bye
It's great to have you here. Favoring One Foot 116281

Did the vet have any idea what might have caused this?
Is there any mark (e.g. a scar or bump) on the outside of the foot that would indicate there was a problem?

When she does use the foot, does she limp?
Any chance of posting a photo of where the injury was?

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AOndie16

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 5:20 pm

We live in Oxford NJ near Pa.
We are going to check out the video about pus.
This is a GREAT site! I am so glad that we found you.
Thank you so much! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't know that your bird has bumble foot but here is some additional information for you to read.

http://www.avianweb.com/bumblefoot.html

As Cindy said, posting a picture may be helpful.

If you want me to help you find a vet, I'm happy to do that.

Also...I'm happy you found us too. cheers
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 am

I have found a veterinarian in Landing that treats birds although I was unable to speak with them to see if the doctor treats pigeons. I believe that Landing is about 30 miles from Oxford and so far, that's thecloseset hospital that treats bird, I've been able to locate.
I'm never comfortable suggesting a vet unless I am able to speak with someone in the clinic and ask questions first. I will do that on Monday. In the meantime, I will keep looking for one closer to you.
Once I have the info together, I'll post it and you can decide how you want to proceed. Smile
Back to top Go down
AOndie16

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Everyone!
Thank you so much for getting back to me with help.
After some research I do think that she has BumbleFoot. It has gotten bad very quickly. It looks awful. I would post a picture, but my son has the camera and he is away.
My vet does take care of birds and did mention Bumblefoot the last time we were there. She is good, but she does not specialize just in birds. But, I feel that she should be seen ASAP.
We will be calling tomorrow for an appt. I will keep you all posted.

Thank You! Great job
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 5:04 pm

AOndie16 wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Thank you so much for getting back to me with help.
After some research I do think that she has BumbleFoot. It has gotten bad very quickly. It looks awful. I would post a picture, but my son has the camera and he is away.
My vet does take care of birds and did mention Bumblefoot the last time we were there.

* She is good, but she does not specialize just in birds. But, I feel that she should be seen ASAP.
We will be calling tomorrow for an appt. I will keep you all posted.

Thank You! Great job

We appreciate the update, but sorry the little one's foot isn't any better.

* From what I understand, avian vets usually aren't all that knowledgable of pigeons specifically. Exotic birds seem to be their speciality.

My vet is a 'general' vet and I love him to death. He has seen two of my 'pet' pigeons and several ferals that I have taken in, all with excellent results. Favoring One Foot 142829

Please let us know how the vet visit goes. We always worry about the little guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 6:36 pm

You really don't need an avian vet to treat bumble foot but you do need a vet thqt does have experience treating birds.
I found the following vet Saturday but because of an emergency with one of my birds, I was unable to give the clinic a call and veryify that the vet that treats birds will treat a pigeon.
Here is the contact information...

Landing Animal Care center
175 Lakeside
Landing, New Jersey
862-781-1157
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Any up date?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favoring One Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favoring One Foot   Favoring One Foot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favoring One Foot
Page 1 of 1