Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

2 squeakers that need help

Go down 
+5
Jackie\'s Mom
AZWhitefeather
NiteOwl
Matilda
priya
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

2 squeakers that need help Empty
PostSubject: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Guys

Dev was put across to a girl who found 2 young pigeons that weren't flying. She has kept them with her as of now. She found them yesterday.

Dev has given her the basic steps on how to keep them warm and comfortable. Also the steps on hand feeding them defrosted corn/peas. But the girl isn't comfortable with the idea and doesn't want to hand feed them.

She said she has kept some soaked seeds and water in a deep bowl but isn't very sure if they have eaten or drank anything. I have just replied to her asking her to feel the crop and let us know.

She has posted a few pics of the birds. Could you help us in letting us know what the poor birds are suffering from? They seem to have some yellow projection under the eyes. Is it pox?

2 squeakers that need help Baby10

2 squeakers that need help Baby110

2 squeakers that need help Baby210

I am in touch with her and will ask her if she can hand over the babies to Dev tomorrow if she cannot manage

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am

Priya...looks like one has pox.
I can tell from the pictures that they look thin. and it's very doubtfull they are eating and drinking on their own. Because babies need a larger amount of food to grow and we don't know how long these 2 have been without food, they aren't going to live much longer unless they get food and water.
It breaks my heart because what she could do for them is so easy and could make a difference between living and dying. Very sad
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:35 am

Agree Very sad feeling terrible Charis. I am praying that the babies try to eat on their own and make it till tomorrow at least till Dev can go and pick them up.

Or what do you feel? Should i ask him if he can go now and get them? I don't know if that girl will be ok in him visiting her house this late or if Dev also can go with his exams Very sad damn everything comes together :(

Do you feel they look very critical Charis? Anything i should tell her to keep them going?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:56 am

I think someone needs to go right away, Priya.

They don't need soaked seeds because at this point they are old enough to eat on their own...they just haven't learned how to do that yet. There are little things she could do such as put seeds in a deep dish, infront tof them and use her fingers to play with the seeds to get their interest. Still...they won't undestand the connection between the seeds and that they are suppose to go in the mouth unless she will actually open the beak and puit some in the mouth. The defrosted corn and peas would be best to start out though.
The other thing she could do is put a bowl of water in fornt of them and from the back of the head, push the tip of the beak into the water to see if the baby will drink.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 am

Dev agreed to go over now. I have asked the girl if she is ok in him coming over now and taking the birds. But haven't got a response from her Disappointed

I agree with you. The birds should atleast recognise that as food and for that she needs to feed them first. I have passed on the info and steps on how she can hand feed them. Can only hope she does it Disappointed
Will keep you posted
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:20 am

I hope so too.

Tell Dev he is a hero for all the extra miles he travels and all the kindness he extends. 2 squeakers that need help 983488 Pigeon angel
You too Priya..for saying up late and trying to advocate for these foor little babies. 2 squeakers that need help 983488 Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 am

Feeding defrosted and warmed peas and corn is the easiest thing in the world. You are not going to hurt them by opening their beak, and they can't hurt you. Here is a video on popping the peas or corn into their mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

Now, granted, many birds are not just going to sit there and let you do this. So you hold the baby on your lap, and against your body. If you are right handed, then you face the pigeon toward your right hand side. Reach around his head with your fore finger and thumb of your left hand, and grab his beak. Now use your right hand fore finger and thumb to open the beak. Put in the pea and push it way to the back of the throat. Let him close his beak and swallow. If he spits it out, then you didn't push it far enough back. Do it again, and push it farther back. This is so very easy, and can mean the difference between him living and dying. It is very easy to control a tiny little bird, but if you have trouble, then wrap him in a small towel or something with his head sticking out. He can't struggle this way.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 11:57 am

At the very least, they should be given rehydrating fluids (adding a pinch each of salt and sugar to a cup of room temperature water).

It does look like pox, however, getting those birds hydrated and fed is definitely primary.

Many thanks to you and Dev, for helping out, Priya. Pigeon angel Universal hug

Please keep us posted.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, rehydrating is important, but if they can't get a pea into them, how are they going to get them to drink water?
Try dipping their beaks into the solution Cindy mentioned, and they may drink. If not, just keep trying. Dip their beak in up to their nose, but not over it.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Yes, rehydrating is important, but if they can't get a pea into them, how are they going to get them to drink water?

Try dipping their beaks into the solution Cindy mentioned, and they may drink. If not, just keep trying. Dip their beak in up to their nose, but not over it.

You can put a couple drops of the rehydrating solution just alongside the beak using an eyedropper. Do that a few times and then take a little break. And then repeat the process.
It takes a little while but at least they are getting some fluids and there is little chance they are going to aspirate.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

You can put a couple drops of the rehydrating solution just alongside the beak using an eyedropper. Do that a few times and then take a little break. And then repeat the process.
It takes a little while but at least they are getting some fluids and there is little chance they are going to aspirate.

Yes, you can try that.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:48 am

The birds still haven't come to Dev Disappointed Disappointed very very frustrating. I don't know what to tell some people who neither know anything nor want to listen to anybody else who knows Major Rant

Yesterday night when Dev spoke to her she said it was too late and her parents wouldn't approve of anyone coming over at that time. Also her mother apparently didn't know that she had got 2 pigeons home. She had hid them in her bro's room etc.
Then Dev told her to at least meet him somewhere mid point tomorrow first thing in the morning and hand over the birds as time was already running out. She agreed to that.

Today morning no calls from her. Then Dev again tried at 7 am. Then she tells him her dad isn't around and only he can give the directions and that she can hand over the birds only by evening I have NO idea When Dev asked where exactly she was put up she said she didn't have a clue as they had moved in recently to that house.

We both were very very upset on hearing this. Looks like this girl isn't serious about the whole situation? Then Dev asked if the birds had eaten anything, did she feel the crop. To which she gave some vague replies that yeah looks like they had eaten and that she tried giving them water by dipping their beaks in the bowl as we had told her and that the birds managed to drink a few sips.

But i really don't know whether to believe all this Disappointed

Anyways, she has finally agreed to meet Dev mid point somewhere in the evening and then hand over the birds. We are praying and hoping the poor babies make it. I hope they have had some fluids at least Very sad Would dread to think they have gone without food or water for nearly 30 hrs now.

Dev has gone for his exams and will return at 6 pm. After that he will go and meet this girl and collect the birds. I hope she doesn't change her mind again.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:51 am

NiteOwl wrote:
*Yes, rehydrating is important, but if they can't get a pea into them, how are they going to get them to drink water?
**Try dipping their beaks into the solution Cindy mentioned, and they may drink. If not, just keep trying. Dip their beak in up to their nose, but not over it.

* Agree Disappointed

** The latest when we spoke to her she said she tried this method and that the birds were able to take in a few sips. God knows the truth..hoping what she is saying is true
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:57 am

Thanks Jay for the video link and the detailed steps. Will bookmark it so that i can send that as a reference to others in future.

Cindy that's a good idea. The birds will also know that it's some fluid and will attempt to drink it if they are very thirsty isn't it. Will let her know about this too.

Charis, sure i will let Dev know Smile Thanks a lot Thank You
All the angels here are the same Pigeon angel # 1 Universal hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 am

We so appreciate the updates, Priya. Pigeon angel

What a shame, to be having such a time getting these poor little ones to Dev. Disappointed
Sending positive thoughts that it all works out and there is still time to help these sweet pijjies. Fingers crossed

Please keep us posted. Smile
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 am

Dev has just got them home. He told me that they both look very weak and hungry Very sad He has started feeding them water mixed with glucose and will be hand feeding them in sometime
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am

Thank you so much for the update, Priya. Smile

It's great that the little ones are now in the wonderful hands of Dev. Pigeon angel

Chuck and I are sending our very best wishes that these babies make a full recovery.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:08 am

Thank goodness!
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 am

This is the latest from Dev

Both the babies look extremely sick and weak. Dev told me he didn't know how long they had gone without food as their crop was totally empty and that he had never seen any bird that was so weak Very sad

We need advice from you all on how we should proceed next. Dev has hand fed them 30 seeds each and water. He said he found it extremely hard to handle them as the pox area is right on the spot he would hold them Disappointed So it might hurt them if he touched that spot...he has somehow managed to feed them though. He has kept a hot water bag for them.

Here are the pictures of the 2 birds with the affected area:

Bird 1:

2 squeakers that need help Bird1-10

2 squeakers that need help Bird1-11

Bird 2:

2 squeakers that need help Bird2-10

2 squeakers that need help Bird2-11

We will be getting the Tea Tree oil by tomorrow to apply on the Pox. Is there anything else (meds/ointment) we should try and get? Need all your help on how to go further with this.

Thanks a lot for all the support and help from all you angels
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 am

Priya...I wouldn't put the tea tree oil on these babies. I has been toxic to some birds and these birds in the weakened condition...it could do them in.
Once they have some food in them, they should be treated for canker as canker and pox seem to go hand in hand...probably because the pox weakens the immune system thus giving canker the go a head to take over too.
They need food but it's critical they be thoroughly warmed and hydrated first. I usually give 5 ccs warmed hydrating solution and once it's placed out of the crop, give 5ccs more and so on...
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 am

Matilda wrote:
Priya...I wouldn't put the tea tree oil on these babies. I has been toxic to some birds and these birds in the weakened condition...it could do them in.

OMG i didn't know that Serious EEK!! Thanks a lot Charis. Will tell Dev not to go ahead with it.

Matilda wrote:
Once they have some food in them, they should be treated for canker as canker and pox seem to go hand in hand...probably because the pox weakens the immune system thus giving canker the go a head to take over too.
They need food but it's critical they be thoroughly warmed and hydrated first. I usually give 5 ccs warmed hydrating solution and once it's placed out of the crop, give 5ccs more and so on...

Ok, then the first priority would be to warm them, give them fluids. Then slowly introduce solids and gradually increase the feedings. Great. Will pass it on to Dev and update you on how everything is going.

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 am

This is a great link that I think will be helpful in thsi situation.

http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/WLR/Emaciation.html
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 am

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:20 am

Priya, Would you please ask Dev click on this link and follow the steps. Thanks

Basic Life Saving Steps

Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank Goodness that the babies are now in Dev's cpa hands Pigeon angel

Poor little babies they look so sad. Not feeling well

I have nothing further to add to what has been already advised.

I would just go very slow with the amounts of solid foods and make sure everything is passing.

Louise
2 squeakers that need help 789920
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 squeakers that need help   2 squeakers that need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 squeakers that need help
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next