Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Excessive Water Consumption

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

Excessive Water Consumption Empty
PostSubject: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:19 am

I have noticed that my newest little rescue Noel is drinking approximately 2/3 times as much water as all my other birds.

Is excessive water consumption symptomatic of any disease/condition?

Noel is acting perfectly normal..........poops are dark brown formed with lots of clear urates from all the water. Because she was so emaciated I have been allowing her to have seeds 24/7 and she constantly eats like a little pig. She has gained weight, is alert, flying nicely not puffed up at all. She was already treated for Canker, was treated with a 5 day course of Flagyl. Her mouth and throat are pink and clear.

I am just concerned about the amount of water she consumes........she empties her little water dish twice a day, whereas the little one with one eye that has the same size dish only drinks about 3/4 of one dish in a day.

Should I be concerned?........or is it just that she is real thristy because of all the seed she eats? She eats about twice the amount of seed that the other birds do. She has the best apppetite of them all.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 am

Louise, that is one of the symptoms of coccidia. Is she acting OK otherwise?
How does her poop look?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 pm

She is acting completely normal..........actually compared to the way she was two weeks ago when I fround her..........she has made an astounding recovery.

Her poops are brown, and formed, however there is always alot of clear fluid (water) because she drinks so much.

She has put on some weight, I can still feel the keel bone, but the surrounding breast has become much more prominent and full. She was totally emaciated and strarved when I found her so she has come a long way.

Doyouthink I should treat her for parasites?..........If so with what?........I don't have any meds on hand for that.

As always Charis...........thank you for your assistance.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Let's just keep an eye on her and please do weigh her every day and let's monitor her progress for another 5 days. I don't have wormer I can send you but I do have coccidia meds and I'm happy to send you some.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Increased water consumption may be because of
- Canker (ruled out as you treated her)
- Cocci (as Charis mentioned – I would monitor her)
- Worms (deworming would not hurt)
- Bacterial disease (probiotic and vitamins is my first choice)
- Increased grit intake (gizzard inflammation)
- PMV (then faeces would be changed)
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm

I hope everything goes well with Noel, Louise. Excessive Water Consumption Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 pm

I will be watching Noel carefully over the next few days. She does appear completely normal with the exception that she drinks so much water.

If the general consensus is that coccidia is propably what is wrong I think a trip to Dr. Hauck would be best.

How is it diagnosed? By a fecal? and what meds are usually used to treat it?

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Some coccidia is perfectly normal but a lot of coccidia is not. Dr. Hauck can tell by looking at a fecal under the microscope. There are a number of drugs used to successfully treat it. I like Albon oral suspension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Water Consumption   Excessive Water Consumption Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excessive Water Consumption
Page 1 of 1