Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

One stubborn hen & her mate!

Go down 
+3
plamenh
Matilda
EgypSwiftLady
7 posters
AuthorMessage
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

One stubborn hen & her mate! Empty
PostSubject: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:05 pm

I have moved this hens nest about 4 times and they always move back to the same spot...

One stubborn hen & her mate! Little10

which is right in front of the pigeon door on the floor!
One stubborn hen & her mate! Little11

The only reason I let them sit the egg is because it can't be fertile with the amount of rolling
it has taken and sitting on a cold floor... I hope it's infertile! :eek:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:07 pm

One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_wink ...Don't fool yourself. I'll bet it's fertile.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Place something else on that spot and be careful not to trip on it when entring loft. She likes the view maybe. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
I have moved this hens nest about 4 times and they always move back to the same spot...
which is right in front of the pigeon door on the floor!

The only reason I let them sit the egg is because it can't be fertile with the amount of rolling
it has taken and sitting on a cold floor... I hope it's infertile! :eek:

Only time will tell!! One stubborn hen & her mate! 764214
Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 pm

plamenh wrote:
Place something else on that spot and be careful not to trip on it when entring loft. She likes the view maybe. Smile

There have been a few pigeons I've read about that like to nest on the floor.
Seems so odd to me because they usually like to be high so they can get a real bird's eye view. One stubborn hen & her mate! 714583
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 am

They're very single-minded! :That\\\'s so f Your hen is very beautiful! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:00 am

plamenh wrote:

I've tried putting a med.size clay pot, upside down, in the spot but since it's right in front of the pigeon door the birds push it out of the way. Anything bigger would block the door since her nest is so close to the opening.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
plamenh wrote:

There have been a few pigeons I've read about that like to nest on the floor.
Seems so odd to me because they usually like to be high so they can get a real bird's eye view. One stubborn hen & her mate! 714583

We have three pairs that will not nest in the boxes, only two of the 7 nest boxes are currently being used.
We even have 3 boxes that sit directly on the floor and they won't use them.

I don't care if they don't use the boxes since we pull the eggs anyway I just worry about her getting cold.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 am

Have the pair that nest on the floor ever used nest boxes or is this something newer?
I had a couple that used to nest on the floor and so I that and I bought a plastic cat tray, put bedding in it and then put the hen and her eggs in the tray and the tray in the exact same spot on the floor. Maybe that will work for your couples. You could even put a towel in the bottom of the tray to insulate it from the coldness of the floor.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:52 am

Matilda wrote:
Have the pair that nest on the floor ever used nest boxes or is this something newer?
I had a couple that used to nest on the floor and so I that and I bought a plastic cat tray, put bedding in it and then put the hen and her eggs in the tray and the tray in the exact same spot on the floor. Maybe that will work for your couples. You could even put a towel in the bottom of the tray to insulate it from the coldness of the floor.

That is a good idea but at this particular spot it wouldn't work Very sad there's just not enough room in front of the door for a tray with the pigeons going in & out plus its the only pij door to that part of the loft.
I have a couple of plastic milk crates that sit on the floor on their sides and I tried moving the nest in that but they moved it back to the same spot.

I put extra straw in the loft for them so she's been adding that to her nest. Happy
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Then maybe something like thick doormat? Once she settles on top, you can move it inch by inch daily until she is out of the way.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Good idea Plamenh Idea/thought I never thought of that, I'll give it a try. Hmmm

Thanks! :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

What a clever idea! LOL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Good suggestion, Plamenh. One stubborn hen & her mate! 142829
Please do let us know how it works, Robin. Smile
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: UPDATE....   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

This morning as Plamenh suggested I carefully put the hens nest on a matt, after I added about an inch of ground corn cobb to the loft floor for more insulation.

The hen walked over to took a look at her nest and walked away :eek: Thinking that maybe if I left the loft she would go back to sit the nest.... an hour pasted & no change.
Fearing that the egg had already suffered from being cold too long I took the egg and put it under Greta & Birdy who are busy incubating a wooden egg. Happy

I didn't bother candling the egg because it was cold, I know its either fertile or
rotten. Disappointed

So I guess we will just have to wait and see.... I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Appreciate the update, Robin.
Please do keep us posting on how things are coming along.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:25 pm

LOL not easy butting heads with a pigeon. Laughing Not long ago I wrote in another thread about fighting in my loft over a nest box high up. McGee and his hen won the box and sat on eggs there one time. Guess where they are nesting now??? On the floor of course! I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Jenaka wrote:
LOL not easy butting heads with a pigeon. Laughing Not long ago I wrote in another thread about fighting in my loft over a nest box high up. McGee and his hen won the box and sat on eggs there one time.

Guess where they are nesting now??? On the floor of course! I have NO idea

:That\\\'s so f One stubborn hen & her mate! 321758
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Jenaka wrote:
LOL not easy butting heads with a pigeon. One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_lol Not long ago I wrote in another thread about fighting in my loft over a nest box high up. McGee and his hen won the box and sat on eggs there one time.

Guess where they are nesting now??? On the floor of course! One stubborn hen & her mate! 466834

One stubborn hen & her mate! 164371 One stubborn hen & her mate! 321758

I'll ditto that! One stubborn hen & her mate! 982130
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 am

ah you have such a stubborn hen there Robin That's too funny Does she miss the egg now that it's with the other pair? Disappointed Hope she doesn't get all cold sitting on the floor

Jen that was hilarious That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Matilda wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:
Jenaka wrote:
LOL not easy butting heads with a pigeon. One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_lol Not long ago I wrote in another thread about fighting in my loft over a nest box high up. McGee and his hen won the box and sat on eggs there one time.

Guess where they are nesting now??? On the floor of course! One stubborn hen & her mate! 466834

One stubborn hen & her mate! 164371 One stubborn hen & her mate! 321758

I'll ditto that! One stubborn hen & her mate! 982130

Me too! LOL This is turning into quite a soap opera!... ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One stubborn hen & her mate!   One stubborn hen & her mate! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One stubborn hen & her mate!
Page 1 of 1