Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!

Go down 
+2
plamenh
AliBlack
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AliBlack

Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Got a dove in with severe canker in the beak/mouth nearly 3 weeks ago, I've given 14 days metronidazole, he's had 4 spartrix, most of the canker from his beak has gone, but there is one stubborn lesion by his glottis which is still there. What do I do now?
Not safe to give Met any longer? (kidney damage??)
Any suggestions?
Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I would use diluted Lugols Iodine and swab growth twice a day. Also ACV in the water may help. If you can find Emetryl - DIMETRIDAZOLE you can make paste and swab with it too.
Back to top Go down
AliBlack

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Thank you, not sure where to get these from, I'm in the UK. Hoping Cynthia will reply too :)

plamenh wrote:
I would use diluted Lugols Iodine and swab growth twice a day. Also ACV in the water may help. If you can find Emetryl - DIMETRIDAZOLE you can make paste and swab with it too.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 pm

AliBlack wrote:
Got a dove in with severe canker in the beak/mouth nearly 3 weeks ago, I've given 14 days metronidazole, he's had 4 spartrix, most of the canker from his beak has gone, but there is one stubborn lesion by his glottis which is still there. What do I do now?
Not safe to give Met any longer? (kidney damage??)
Any suggestions?
Thank you Smile

Hi Aliblack. Sounds like your dealing with a stubborn case of canker. I had a 2 week old pigeon baby that had canker so bad that she had a large lump protruding from the side of her neck, and the throat was so closed off, that I could barely get formula into her. The vet wasn't so sure that she would make it, but today she is healthy and happy and almost a year old. I too tried the Spartrix first, then got the liquid flagyl (Metronidazole) from the vet. She was supposed to be on it for 5 days. Well, the lump went down fairly quickly, but 2 weeks later she was still on the Flagyl. It took that long to get rid of the last of it in her throat. Like your bird, that one piece just hung on. When I spoke to the vet on about the 10th day, even in light of the danger of keeping them on it too long, taking them off would be worse, as it would just come back, and be stronger for having stopped before wiping out the canker. I would give it for a few more days, and if still not gone, maybe try the ronidazole. Some cankers are more resistant to different drugs. But if it has cleared it up this much, I'd stay with it for a few more days. Then switch over if need be.
Plamenhs suggestion for dabbing it with a Q-tip soaked in half betadine half water was good. Just be very careful not to knock it off as you could cause a bleed. Keep us posted as to how it goes. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I think you received some great advice from both Plamen and Jay.

As there are different strains of Trichnosis, switching medications at this point would be a good thing to do as the strain you are dealing with may be resistant to spartrix and metronidazole.

Jay...do I remember correctly that the baby you just wrote about, was on both spartrix and metronidazole for a while at the same time?
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 pm

No. I tried the spartrix first, then the Metronidazole.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:31 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
No. I tried the spartrix first, then the Metronidazole.

Thank you. Someone did...I just can't remember who it was. Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! 106767
Back to top Go down
AliBlack

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Many thanks for the help, would I get Betadine from a chemist? I've not used it before. Can I ask what ACV is? Thanks :)
The canker is much better, he did have much more in the beak and big lump in the neck.
If there is canker actually right in the glottis would that mean those lesions cannot be got rid of?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:38 pm

ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar[must be unfiltered organic]
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm

The apple cider vinegar makes the crop environment more acid, and most bad bacterias and the like do not live in that environment. Yes, you get the Betadine (povidone-iodine 10%) at a chemist or drugstore. Once the canker is cured, all the lesions will be gone.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your little rescue, Ali. Very sad
Will think positive thoughts that all goes well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 am

Some times back I had the same situation.
Carnidazole,
Metronidazole,
Dimetridazole,
Niadizole,
Secnidazole and other bunch of zoles
nothing would work. But Iodine managed to clear it.

You may try this new drug:

Nitazoxanide – brand names Alinia, Annita, Daxon, Dexidex, Kidonax, Pacovanton, Paramix (Mexico), Nitax, Zox, Nitazox, Toza (Bangladesh).
It is used in resistant Trichomonas insted Metronidazole and Carnidazole.
It is broad antiprotozoal drug that has also limited antiviral and antibacterial activity.
Fast acting – used either as single dose or 3 day treatment.
Safe – on overdose indications (from 50~150 mg/kg body weight)
Comes in 500mg tablet form or 100mg/5ml oral suspension.
Back to top Go down
AliBlack

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 am

I will get some Betadine tomorrow :)
I heard back from Janine Perlman (one of the Mac diet creators)
>Longer use of metronidazole shouldn't be a problem at the proper dose. It's also possible to attempt curettage on the lesion if it's life-threatening---sounds like the bird isn't in crisis, though.

I'd continue with both metro (twice daily) and Spartrix (one, once per week), along with good supportive care (plenty of all vitamins, and good protein offered in the form of tiny dried insects, crumbled egg, and excellent seed mix). Do that for three more weeks and get back to me then or sooner. <
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:15 am

Please let us know how the little Dove does.
Back to top Go down
AliBlack

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Matilda wrote:
Please let us know how the little Dove does.

I will do :)
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes indeed, please do keep us posted.
Get well wishes are on their way. Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! 193770 Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! 193770
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

I hope your little dove will soon be rid of the remaining canker!

Just a note on Betadine, here it is sold in different forms depending on what it's going to be used for, and each is colour-coded. If it's the same in the UK you'll want the green one, recommended for gargling with.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:45 pm

That's interesting, Teresa. As far as I know, there is only one strength available here in the states and it is expensive. It would be nice to have more choices.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 am

Matilda wrote:
That's interesting, Teresa.

As far as I know, there is only one strength available here in the states
and it is expensive.

It would be nice to have more choices.

I'll have to agree with you, Charis. I've never seen it in different strengths here either.
It would be great if we did have an option.

I believe there is a 'generic' brand that isn't as expensive.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 am

I'll look for that, Cindy. Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! 753594
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:07 am

I found it at Target. At least I think ( Oh brother ) it was Betadine.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 am

I Googled it and it is available for a fraction of what I have paid.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 am

Link doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:17 am

You must have just removed the link.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 am

I did remove it because the link didn't work. Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!   Stubborn canker lesion-HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stubborn canker lesion-HELP!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next