Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Senegal Dove With Bad Canker

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Empty
PostSubject: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 pm

It was promising to be a quiet Sunday morning. Alas, it was not meant.
This little fellow was sitting in front of my cote in desperate need of help.
Very bad case of canker almost totally obstructing trachea opening.
I cleaned throat with Lugols solution diluted in water and gave him ½ tablet Spartrix. I’m giving him some time to warm up and I’ll give him some formula with honey to boost his energy.
Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Canker10
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Poor little thing. He looks very ill.
What is, Lugols solution ?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:00 am

Iodine...right?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:01 am

Oh dear, he sure does look like he's feeling under the weather. Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_pale
Do you have him on supplemental heat?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 am

Lugols solution is Iodine for internal and medical use. I dilute it in warm water 2 drops per 100 ml and use it on q-tip to swab throat. Helps with infection and it is very efficient with canker growth.
It was freely available on the market 15~20 years ago in USA until someone started using it in narcotic production. Luckily in SA is still available in better-supplied pharmacies.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 am

Yes I'm gradually heating him up in the hospital cage. Putting him straight in warm environment may send him to shock and/or worsen his condition.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 am

I remember my grandmother using it. She even gargled with it. Shock She used to eat dirt sandwhiches too...but that's a whole other story. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 am

Is your hospital cage like an incubator?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:15 am

plamenh wrote:

Lugols solution is Iodine for internal and medical use. I dilute it in warm water 2 drops per 100 ml and use it on q-tip to swab throat.

Helps with infection and it is very efficient with canker growth.

It was freely available on the market 15~20 years ago in USA until someone started using it in narcotic production. Luckily in SA is still available in better-supplied pharmacies.
That's very interesting.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 am

plamenh wrote:

Yes I'm gradually heating him up in the hospital cage. Putting him straight in warm environment may send him to shock and/or worsen his condition.
Senegal Dove With Bad Canker 142829
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:57 am

Hospital cage is DIY thingie. I spent lot of time researching for best solution and ended up with plastic box from OMO 20 Kg detergent, heating pad, thermostat, electronic thermometer and small plastic box from air freshener with sponge inside that you can pour water and keep humidity. I’d love to add oxygen bottle on some stage to the overall setup.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:03 am

Iodine is absolutely awesome in all cases of throat infections. I use it on myself too. My grandmother used to keep three medicines in her drawer, Valerian tincture, Mint drops and Iodine. After years she added Aspirin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:32 am

How is the Dove doing today?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 am

Actually for me is still today when I posted first message it was 6:30 in the morning, but because of time difference showed almost 23:00. Presently it is 17:20 in SA.
She is getting better. Started eating alone and managed to slip between my hands when I opened cage to give second half of the pill, so I gave a chase around the room until I finally grabbed her. Presently is refueling on the feeder and it seems planning another mischief just by the looks she’s throwing my direction.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 am

That's good news. cheers
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am

Little dove did fully recovered. She’s eating alone, it is full of energy now one will never recognize it from this picture I posted. I’m still keeping her inside, because I want to make sure she gains weight nicely before release.
:arrow: I have another one though with the same problem plus possible respiratory infection.
Sigh! Never ending story!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:32 pm

So glad to hear that the Little dove is improving, plamenh. Senegal Dove With Bad Canker 26340

I'm sorry to hear about the recent incoming. Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_sad
Best wishes to you both that his recovery is swift.
Just a thought, you might want to start a new thread on this little guy.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

plamenh wrote:
Little dove did fully recovered. She’s eating alone, it is full of energy now one will never recognize it from this picture I posted. I’m still keeping her inside, because I want to make sure she gains weight nicely before release.

That's really good news! Senegal Dove With Bad Canker 142829 There's nothing like a happy ending. Dove right

plamenh wrote:
:arrow: I have another one though with the same problem plus possible respiratory infection.
Sigh! Never ending story!

Best wishes for the new patient's full and rapid recovery!
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm

A bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Both doves are recovered and gaining weight.
Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Redeye10 Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Redeye11
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 pm

That's wonderful, plamenh. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Great news, plamenh. Senegal Dove With Bad Canker 526287
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 3:01 pm

The dove that you see on the picture (first with the canker) was released today. Second one stayed. I planned to release both of them but I always give them a choice. Both stayed when I opened doors two days ago, today first one fly away. I have three doves ready for release still.
Yesterday I’ve got new PMV pigeon and today orphaned baby dove.
Hmmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senegal Dove With Bad Canker   Senegal Dove With Bad Canker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Senegal Dove With Bad Canker
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: