Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Discussing Canker

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 am

Canker is probably one of the most common pigeon aliments. YUK

Cynthia has provided us with a 'must read' piece on this issue. Thank You
Here is the link to her post.
Canker

For those who have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to post them here.

Cindy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 am

I'm in total agreement with you Cindy.
Canker is especially deadly young birds. I honestly don't think we can ever get rid of it but we can manage canker.

When ever I receive a rescue, treating for canker is a given even if there are no yellow spots inside the mouth or in the throat.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Can either a canker lesion in the crop or severe Salmonellosis cause rupture of the crop lining?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 pm

I would think that canker can, Teresa.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:08 am

Some time ago I have found a very detailed article about Canker. Maybe it is of additional value for someone.

I have also started a major section about pigeon deseases on Pigeon Tales - i.e. whenever I find good information about any pigeon deseases I will add this information. I think you can never have enough referrals to these informations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:18 am

Cindy and Charis,
I know you have the "Pigeon and Dove Illnesses & injuries. Their symptoms and treatment" forum. Would it be an idea to add all kinds of additional links there, where people get more access to information? Then all this information could be collected in one place instead of spreading it through all forums which makes searching a bit uncomfortable and time intensive? You could keep it locked also, which means, people could send you a link and you check whether it is good enough to be added to the list?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:19 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Some time ago I have found a very detailed article about Canker. Maybe it is of additional value for someone.

I have also started a major section about pigeon deseases on Pigeon Tales - i.e. whenever I find good information about any pigeon deseases I will add this information.

I think you can never have enough referrals to these informations.

Discussing Canker 121820
Thank you for posting the link. Discussing Canker 142829
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:31 am

I totally agree with Cindy’s article!
My comment will be that there are cases when canker obstructing throat or trachea has to be removed despite risk of bleeding. In the situation when food and medication cannot be given or bird is gasping for air, using q-tip dipped in Iodine solution with water (this is my first choice), baking soda or glycerine, growth can be removed gently. Bird needs to be checked every couple of hours, as until medication starts working, canker grows with frightening speed and swabbing area will slow it down.
Feeding sick bird needs to be restored gradually, first with watery mix, in small quantities preferable with glucose or honey (no more than 5 ml mix). If one overfeeds starving bird, she will die.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:57 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Cindy and Charis,

I know you have the "Pigeon and Dove Illnesses & injuries. Their symptoms and treatment" forum.

* Would it be an idea to add all kinds of additional links there, where people get more access to information?

** Then all this information could be collected in one place instead of
spreading it through all forums which makes searching a bit
uncomfortable and time intensive?

*** You could keep it locked also, which means, people could send you a link and you check whether it is good enough to be added to the list?
* Absolutely, Petra. Discussing Canker 458406

** Yes, that's the intent of the forum. Easy access for folks who want to obtain information without having to shuffle through posts.

*** It is locked.
By all means, if anyone has a link or information they would like to share, please do post it here in the discussion forum or notify me, John, Cynthia or Charis by pm/email.
We will be happy to add it to the Pigeon and Dove Illnesses & injuries. Their symptoms and treatment forum.

I'll go ahead and post your link over there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discussing Canker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussing Canker   Discussing Canker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussing Canker
Page 1 of 1