Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby

Go down 
+4
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
pigeonwriter
plamenh
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Empty
PostSubject: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I have new member of the family as from today.
When I was feeding my birds this morning, I noticed small baby Senegal dove moving around pigeons, but after that she disappeared and I forgot about her. It is baby bird season in SA and there are fledglings everywhere.
During my afternoon feeding, she was there again. This time she went strait to pigeons and started begging for food. At first it was funny because baby is smaller than sparrow. It jumped in front of ten times bigger pigeon and raised wings and started slapping him right wing left wing exactly the way baby pigeons do. Pigeon almost fell on his tail of surprise. Then decided to run away. Baby then jumped in front of another. This one decided to teach him manners.
At this moment I realized what is wrong. Baby doves do not run around begging food from pigeons. They wait patiently for parents to come and feed them. Even when out of nest they are quiet and one can step on them as they are so motionless. This one was very hungry. I went and picked it before pigeons hurt it and it started begging me for food immediately. Diagnose - crop empty and baby very tin. While preparing food it was whistling at me permanently. Baby Senegal doves emit strange whistling sound when calling parents for food. (almost ultrasound)
Once fed, baby made itself comfortable in the seed dish and fell asleep.

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image014
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Geez - what a sweet little guy. Hope you can help him survive! I have never seen a dove like this one - so cute!!! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 401707 What a sweet little doll baby, plamenh. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 73518
Such beautiful feather coloring. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 142829

I'm so glad you were there to make the rescue. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 803589
Please do keep us posted on how things go. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 12:07 am

This morning, baby was still alive, with more energy and most of it was put into whistling and flapping wings at me. Yesterday I was afraid to feed it too much and I gave 5 ml watery mix. Couldn’t see any poop.
This morning there were two firm balls on display. 8 ml stronger mix did not fully satisfied him, but this will do for now. Usually 10~12 ml mix is enough for growing baby Senegals.
Baby doves are adorable and very good fliers. The moment they leave the nest one cannot catch them unlike baby pigeons.
I was lucky that baby decided that I’m potential food source and hungry enough to ignore my size.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:30 am

plamenh wrote:
This morning, baby was still alive, with more energy and most of it was put into whistling and flapping wings at me. Yesterday I was afraid to feed it too much and I gave 5 ml watery mix. Couldn’t see any poop.
This morning there were two firm balls on display. 8 ml stronger mix did not fully satisfied him, but this will do for now. Usually 10~12 ml mix is enough for growing baby Senegals.
Baby doves are adorable and very good fliers. The moment they leave the nest one cannot catch them unlike baby pigeons.
I was lucky that baby decided that I’m potential food source and hungry enough to ignore my size.

Wonderful update, plamenh. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 526287

I'd say you were BOTH lucky. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 789920
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Day 2 Afternoon updates   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

Baby is well, allways hungry. Whistling all the time at me while preparing food.
Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image015 After feeding baby scared
Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image016 Baby intrigued
Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image017 Back in the cage
Nex step was to go in the dish and fall asleep (I didn't want to disturb so there is no picture)
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 am

I missed this thread until just now. Sorry

That baby is so cute and lucky she ended up in your yard.
I would love to hear a recording of the whistling...hint...hint. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 am

No problem Charis,
I will record it (it sounds non-stop when I'm arround) but you must guide me how to publish it to the forum. :Rolling eyes: That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:28 am

plamenh wrote:
No problem Charis,
I will record it (it sounds non-stop when I'm arround) but you must guide me how to publish it to the forum. :Rolling eyes: That's too funny

I'm afraid I would be a very poor guide but we can call on John or Cindy. Happy
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:55 am

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 766985 More baby photos. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 26340 Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 686336 plamenh.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 am

Matilda wrote:
plamenh wrote:
No problem Charis,
I will record it (it sounds non-stop when I'm arround) but you must guide me how to publish it to the forum. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 432120 Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 982130

I'm afraid I would be a very poor guide but we can call on John or Cindy. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_biggrin

I don't mean to 'pass the buck' but better make that John, plamenh. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 466834 how to do that.
John created our homepage greeting from our feathered friends. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 52853
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm

What an absolute sweetheart, my heart melted as soon as I saw the pictures.
To think it was so hungry it had to beg anyone or anything for food.
Thank goodness you spotted it. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 am

Ok I have record of the baby dove call, now only to find abouth technicalities Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Suspect

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image018 Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image019
I'm small but...
Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image020 Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image021
When I grow up!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 10:27 am

Capuchino is the one to get the sounds loaded. How about you send him a private message?
I'm very excited to hear the sonds and I appreciate you recording them.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 am

I love your updated photos, plamenh. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 334215
What a difference in his alertness compared to the original photo. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 526287
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:52 pm

O yes, baby is much more energetic and in constant motion. Preening, wing streching, flapping, walking up and down... No wonder why is always hungry. Today was the Day-3 and we are allready used to tube feeding. It became hyper exited when I showed syringe and started slapping my hand with wings when feeding. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 3:51 pm

plamenh wrote:
O yes, baby is much more energetic and in constant motion. Preening, wing streching, flapping, walking up and down... No wonder why is always hungry. Today was the Day-3 and we are allready used to tube feeding.
It became hyper exited when I showed syringe and started slapping my hand with wings when feeding. Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 982130

Don't ya just love that? Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby 893919
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Quote :
Don't ya just love that?
Sure I do Happy It keeps on amazing me how quickly babies adapt to any unnatural environment though. Adult dove won’t let you closer than 4 m but as baby has no choice, guess it decided to get the best under these circumstances. Smile
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 6:04 am

This is just lovely Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Isn't it strange sometimes how a sweet little creature can give us so much love? Often more than another human being... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Call of Baby Senegal Dove   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:51 am

Specially for Charis (she asked first) That's too funny
Everybody is wellcome to hear of course.

BabyDove.mp3 - 0.09MB

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image022 Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Image023
Baby perching on my finger and seeds on the floor are better tasting then one in the dish.
Today updates - baby started pecking seeds - sigh - my role as Mama Dove will soon be over.
Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:58 am

Ah...such sweet sounds I love it/them. Thank you for recording the sweet sounds and posting them . It's so fascinating to be able to hear the voice of a little Dove thousands of miles away. Way To Go Pigeon angel

Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:47 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
This is just lovely Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Isn't it strange sometimes how a sweet little creature can give us so much love? Often more than another human being... Embarassed

Because human beings tend to complicate things. Little creatures bond to you unconditionally.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:58 am

Matilda wrote:

Ah...such sweet sounds I love it/them. Thank you for recording the sweet sounds and posting them . It's so fascinating to be able to hear the voice of a little Dove thousands of miles away. Way To Go Pigeon angel

Something about 10344.4 miles or 16647.7 km give or take couple. ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:16 am

plamenh wrote:
Matilda wrote:

Something about 10344.4 miles or 16647.7 km give or take couple. ROTFL

Yep...a long ways.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 am

Last two days I was on business trip to Durban. During my absence, despite my specific handling instructions, baby managed to escape. Upon my return (last night) when I was told what happened, I felt devastated. Baby will starve to death, be killed by predators or who know what horrific fate expect him. Nightmare! I searched around the garden till late to no avail.
……………………………
This morning I looked everywhere, couldn’t find it. Plenty of baby doves and youngsters but mine nowhere to spot.
……………………………
This afternoon when I was feeding ferals, I left coop door open. Something small and blurrily zoomed by my head and when I turned to look in, there it was Baby, sitting on the cage, flapping wings and loudly chirruping to make sure I know that it is very, very hungry. So Baby sleeps happily in the cage warm and fed, me, sitting in front of computer with the glass of red wine celebrating happy ending of the trip (not mine).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby   Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hungry orphaned Senegal dove baby
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next