Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Three more!

Go down 
+3
Matilda
pigeonwriter
plamenh
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Three more! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Number 1 - finally i took his pictures. Until today he was kept separately as I wanted to make sure that is clear of canker.
Three more! - Page 2 Image076
Three more! - Page 2 Image077

As for plastic containers this is the one iI use for hospital cage:

Three more! - Page 2 Image078
Three more! - Page 2 Image079
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Such a beautiful pij.
Thanks for the pictures, Plamenh. Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:31 am

Please tell me when I become banal with my rescues.

Number 5 - Bad case of canker. Beak full, difficulty breathing, foam coming out of the mouth, very thin. Found him sitting in the bucket of water unable to drink.
First step, I cleaned his mouth with diluted Iodine the best I could.
Second step, managed to pass through Spartrix pill in the throat.
Third step - four hours later one pill Metronidazole down the throat.
Fourth step - 5 ml baby formula with honey. Silicon tubing greased with olive oil had difficulties passing through.

Today throat was clear and despite remaining traces of liaisons I could actually see his tongue. On the first picture you may be able to see white cover on the tongue.
Three more! - Page 2 Image082
Three more! - Page 2 Image083

Number 6 - This morning I found bloodied squeaker infested with crawling things. One drop of Ivermectin between shoulders, Spartrix pill and four hours later 20 ml baby formula. He has eaten seeds alone and that was the only reason to give him full dose. He begged for more but that will be enough for today.
Three more! - Page 2 Image084
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 am

plamenh wrote:
Oh no! Not for me now and I very highly doubt that could ever be the case coming from you -- for me, the simpler the better and repetition makes it sink in all the more!
Thank you, I learn a lot from your posts on how you treat your rescues and very enjoyably so, too :)

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 am

Joyfulsongtree wrote:
plamenh wrote:

Oh no! Not for me now and I very highly doubt that could ever be the case coming from you --
for me, the simpler the better and repetition makes it sink in all the more!

Thank you, I learn a lot from your posts on how you treat your rescues and very enjoyably so, too :)

Best wishes,
I agree with you 100% Three more! - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Plamenh, your reports could never be boring or banal - they are excellent lessions on how to potentially treat similar cases with success.
I am grateful for all the time you spend on the computer to let others participate from your experience. # 1 Great job Way To Go
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Plamenh, your reports could never be boring or banal - they are excellent lessions on how to potentially treat similar cases with success.
I am grateful for all the time you spend on the computer to let others participate from your experience. # 1 Great job Way To Go

I couldn't agree more! Great job

I'm glad that no. 5's canker is improving rapidly. Poor thing, I'd never seen any case as bad as that!
No. 6 is beautiful!
And I love no. 1's colouring, so unusual! Has he got very short legs or is it just the angle of the photo?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:54 am

Quick update:
Number 1 - fully recovered. It has been some bad rainy weather these days and this is the only reasone he is not released. His beak is slightly overgrown and I'll trim him before he goes. His legs are fine, just the squating pose makes them look short.

Number 2 - she is gaining weight and in any other aspect is fine. It will be released with Number 1. Both of them have their flying time inside and she is like wacum cleaner. Can't leave a dish with food without her being stuck in. Couple of times I took her out of the dust bin as she saw seeds in.

Number 3 - she stays. One of my boys convinced her to move in his cage and they are having their honeymoon. (need bigger cage though)

Number 4 - he is so tame with me and so wild with others. He can't coo still so he does squeak bow thing and fights even old cocks. When I finally take him away, he looks at me with his big eyes - "What did I do?" way.

Number 5 - canker cleared and he is gaining weight now. His poop is still watery though so I'll be checking him closely.

Number 6 - smallest of the gang. Eats, squeaks, sleeps and walks all over meas he is scared of others. Needs bath desperately, but weather is bit cold...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for the update, Plamenh.
So glad to hear things are going well with the group.

Congratulations to the new couple. Thrilled

Looking forward to the next update. Smile
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 am

Three more! - Page 2 373410 Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:30 pm

Number 1 and 2 were banded and released today (nice sunny day after weeks of rain). I feed them, gave them one last immune boost pill, trimed No.1's beak and left the loft door open. Hour later there were more pigeons inside the loft then out in the garden. Took me some time to convince them to leave. Wink
Number 1 refused to go. He was roosting on the top row of cages and waited to be let in his own. Number 2 were long gone, I'll se her in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:07 pm

So one is a keeper?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 am

Matilda wrote:
So one is a keeper?
Up to her (looks female so far) to decide. I have some lonely males and if she decides to stay, she is welcome.
Number 2 if doing well with the flock. First on the queue for feeding and she managed to find her place on the palm.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

I must say, that is quite a sight...all those Pigeons on the palm tree. Very exotic looking to me because palm trees hee are so rare.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 am

Number 7 – another squeaker unable to fly. As there were recent transfers of the cages, one was left outside by the loft door waiting to be washed and re-furnished. He was sitting on top of the cage on the rain, drenched to the bones. I took him in. Heater on, warm chamomile tea with honey and dish of seeds. He ate with gusto.
What I noticed is that he has no feathers below his beak. Usually this means that he is under-nourished. First thought was canker, second worms. While in doubt what to do and should I flip a coin what to threat first, because I couldn’t find a coin in the loft, Spartrix and Ivermectin was final choice.
Next morning, newspaper I used to cover bottom of the basket was covered with tapeworms. He is gaining weight since and energy too.

Number 8 – weaned squeaker. Entered a loft in extremely bad shape. Thin, canker and mycoplasma infection (so it looks). His beak and breasts were covered in dried yellow-brown saliva and slime. Mouth clogged with dirt. First I washed him with diluted in warm water hydrogen peroxide. Second mouth and throat were carefully cleaned with Lugol’s Iodine (2~3 drops in 50ml warm water). Spartrix pill in the morning and Bromhexin hydrochloride at the afternoon plus hand feeding. Today is the second day and he is more lively and started eating alone.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 am

Plamen...that's good news about the ivermectin working on the tape worm, as I have always read that it doesn't.

I hope both birds continue to improve and can rejoin the palm tree flock. Three more! - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:32 am

Appreciate the updates, Plamenh. Three more! - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:24 am

Ivermectin does not clean tapeworms and this means that I'll need to repeat procedure with Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate, but only after they have gained enough energy.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 am

# 7
Three more! - Page 2 Image011
# 8
Three more! - Page 2 Image012

Not the best pics, as it was getting dark and rain was not helping much.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:50 am

plamenh wrote:
Ivermectin does not clean tapeworms and this means that I'll need to repeat procedure with Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate, but only after they have gained enough energy.

Thank you for clarifying that, Plamen. Three more! - Page 2 4134 I wouldn't want someone reading this thread in the future to think they could treat tape worms with ivermectin.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 pm

I use Ivermectin as first line of defense when treating new bird mainly because is safe. It is not perfect wormer, but when you have bird weakened by disease, one cannot risk using other wormers. Despite what I heard, read etc. it has some effect on tapeworm and funny enough big effect on feather mites.
Most of other crawlers disappear three days after use of Ivermectin. If there is anything in the poop and I check it carefully, combination of Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate is my second choice. Sometimes I use Piperazine Citrate, but it is also one of these drugs where a lot of resistance has been built.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 pm

plamenh wrote:
I use Ivermectin as first line of defense when treating new bird mainly because is safe. It is not perfect wormer, but when you have bird weakened by disease, one cannot risk using other wormers. Despite what I heard, read etc. it has some effect on tapeworm and funny enough big effect on feather mites.
Most of other crawlers disappear three days after use of Ivermectin. If there is anything in the poop and I check it carefully, combination of Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate is my second choice. Sometimes I use Piperazine Citrate, but it is also one of these drugs where a lot of resistance has been built.

That is my experience as well.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

I apologize for the gross picture to all members, but it may be useful to show how the pigeon tapeworm looks. Just if you come accross one. YUK

Three more! - Page 2 Tapewo10
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 am

Love the poop picture. We need to hsave a poop thread with picture of different kinds of worms. This one would be a perfect start.
I have had birds with tape worm too but never have I seen worms themselves. The worm has been identified through evidence of the eggs in the feces.
It is not unusualy at all for a bird to have worms and not see them in the poop. Also important information to note, birds with worms don't shead worms or eggs in every poop and so it's easy for a vet to miss them during a fecal exam.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am

I have to agree with you, Plamenh. YUK YUK YUK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three more!   Three more! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Three more!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: