Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Unrequited dovey love

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Capuccino

Capuccino

Unrequited dovey love Empty
PostSubject: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Jack the collared dove was not best suited for the 'doviary', as it is not really large enough for fully flighted permanent residents. We had hoped he would be company for Dovelet(te), who is disabled, but they didn't show any great interest (we think they may both be males).

So, Jack is in the main aviary now, the domain of Poppet dove, tormentor of woodpigeons and wing-slapper of even the fiercest ferals. We wondered how they'd get on, and I thought that there might be some enmity between them, but we have another situation.

Seems that Jack sees Poppet as an ideal mate, and is intent on pursuing her in best amorous dovey manner. I caught him twitching a wing at her, then hopping onto a nearby perch and doing a dove bow and coo.When Poppet gives out her soft, melodic coos, they are followed or duetted by full-throttle male dovey coos. Where Poppet goes, the past couple of days Jack has followed. Just one problem - me :)

Poppet grew up with a family a few miles from my home town, having been saved from cat-dom outside their house. She was very tiny when found, and by the time I collected her to give her a permanent home, she was confidently flitting from human to human, and wandering the kitchen work surfaces, like she was born to be a house dove. Well, for whatever reason, while Poppet was inside at Cynthia's, she became fixated on me as her substitute mate, I guess. Even now, after some years in the aviary with all the pigeons and occasional temporary dove or two, she is forever on my head or my shoulder, or cooing at me from the nearest nest box when I'm cleaning out poop, waiting for me to preen her and give her affection. Woe betide a woodpigeon to whom I show any attention, and if I offer them lettuce or peanuts, there's Poppet doing her best to elbow them out of the way. One time, she picked up a little twig from a nest box and placed it in my hair - a sign for me to build a nest, maybe?

Well, today I had Poppet cooing at me from a box as I cleaned, but Jack in the next available box cooing at Poppet. As I moved around the 'shed', and Poppet followed box to box, so did Jack. Poor little fella is going to wear out his coo-er, the way he's going. Yesterday, Jack (who went into dovey panic mode at human presence in the 'doviary') was eating lettuce held out for him. I strongly suspect he'd been watching Poppet cheerfuly chomping on a leaf and decided "this is what a dovey must do to prove he is fearless"

We would love to see Poppet finally accept another dove, and do dovey things, but so far it looks like Jack really has his work cut out. I just hope he can persevere and - in my absence - get at least a little further with his wooing :)

Unrequited dovey love Poppet10

Poppet in foreground (of course) with Jack on the next perch (being camera shy)

Last edited by Capuccino on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 pm

What's a Dove to do?!

I would suspect that if Jack is persistant enough, he will win her over.
For a couple of years, Romy was my one and only. I had raised her from the just hatched state and where I went, she wanted to be. She slept at night on a towel at the foot of my bed. I would wake in the morning with her standing on my chest, staring down at me. Once she started nesting, she began sleeping on top a large wardrobe in my bedroom. Life was perfect until Sammy came along.

He was just a couple of days old when he arrived and quite sick. I pulled him through it and once he was weaned he started to follow Romy around. Where I went...she went...where she went...Sammy followed and that was the problem...she just hated him. Having a bad day She was mean and it went on for months.

One day I was speaking with my sister on the phone. She had asked if Romy was still mean to poor Sammy. As I said yes, something odd caught my eye...Sammy and Romy were kissing. Thrilled
Persistance does pay off.

In the mornings I would wake to 2 pigeons standing on my chest and staring down at me, waiting for me to open my eyes and greet the day. Celebrate

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks John and Charis for sharing two great stories. I love it/them

Don't give up, Jack.
I'm sure you will soon be # # 1 dove in Poppet's eyes. Wink

Way to go Sammy and Romey. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:03 pm

I'll bet Jack wins in the end. If he is persistant enough, he may just win her over with his charm. Cute story. I love the part when she placed a branch in your hair.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
I'll bet Jack wins in the end. If he is persistant enough, he may just win her over with his charm. Cute story. I love the part when she placed a branch in your hair.

I liked that too. I thought it was quite charming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unrequited dovey love   Unrequited dovey love Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unrequited dovey love
Page 1 of 1