Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Go down 
+3
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
feathers111
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
feathers111

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Empty
PostSubject: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 3:57 pm

This past week several pigeons were seized in a cruelty/neglect case in Philadelphia, PA, and are now in animal rescue. There are two mated pigeons—one, I believe, is a king—and three unmated blue bars. I don’t have any details about the case, and when I visited the pigeons they all appeared to be fine, although this assessment is based only on a visual inspection, and I’m not an avian vet. IMHO, the two mated pigeons should not be separated, as they are clearly happy together.
I’ll provide links below to photos.
I am working as a liason to try to get these sweet pigeons fostered or adopted by good people. If anyone is interested in adopting or fostering these pigeons, please contact me privately via the list. Also, if anyone is aware of any reputable pigeon foster/rescue organizations in the Philadelphia area, please let me know.
Thank you,
Dan

PS If anyone wants to send me any other advice/suggestions for these pigeons based on the photos and/or the above, please feel free!

Photos (if these links don't work, I'll try to repost):

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8dHVe-zuR6FOTEzMjE5ZGEtMGYzNi00OGFkLThmNjItMTM0YzNhOTY0MmJh&hl=en&authkey=CMz3xO4E

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8dHVe-zuR6FMWZmY2M4YWUtYTc4Yi00M2M3LTljMjctYWZiNThlMTJjMTk1&hl=en&authkey=CMSYnagB

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8dHVe-zuR6FYmRlMTU3M2ItY2EyYi00NjM3LThlMjAtYTMzZDlmODFhNGE2&hl=en&authkey=CIrLn-8B

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8dHVe-zuR6FNzI1ZDE0NWItYmRmOC00ZTJhLWI5ZWMtMjM1YTZjNThhNTg0&hl=en&authkey=CIufnbEH

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8dHVe-zuR6FYWZhZjQ3ODEtNmFmNi00ZWJhLWI2NjMtMmE4MmExYzhhMmE2&hl=en&authkey=CJS42rMP
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Dan...the links didn't work. Maybe this will help...

http://www.pigeonangels.com/chitter-chatter-f19/instructions-for-posting-pictures-t709.htm

If not, you can email them to me and I will post them for you.

Nice to see you here. I was just wondering how your summer is going.
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks, Charis. I'll try again...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:20 pm

The links are working for me. YESS!!
Beautiful birds.

Many thanks for helping out with this situation, Dan. Pigeon angel
I will think positive thoughts that all find wonderful forever homes. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Dan... Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 310554 ...the links worked once I logged on to Google. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Sorry the earlier pictures didn't link.
The first two pictures are the mated pair; the next two pictures are the same pigeon; the final picture is another pigeon. There are a total of three unmated pigeons (in addition to the two mated), and I'll see if I have any pictures of the third (not included in pics below).

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 110

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 210

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 310

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 710

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 810
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks, Cindy and Charis, for letting me know about the pics. It looks like they reposted okay.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:54 pm

The only things that I notice would be to give them bricks to perch on and water/food dishes that clip on the bars of the cage. That way the birds won't be knocking their food over, getting it poopy and then eating the seed.
This would also be a good time to treat them for canker.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:52 pm

If our sanctuary was only closer we would take them Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 983488 Very sad

I hope someone can soon Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Does anyone know whether these pigeons are kings? The people at the shelter don't have much experience with pigeons, and I mentioned that these two may be these are kings, but I'm not sure. I'm concerned about them getting adopted by someone who is unaware of how poorly kings fly.
Thanks,
Dan

[quote="feathers111"]
Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 110

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 210

Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Dan from what I can tell neither of the pigeons look like Kings to me, the photos aren't great though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks, Robin.
Yeah, the pictures are pretty blurry/dark. I thought one of them might be a king, the one that's all white, but wasn't sure.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Are the pigeons you think may be kings, as big as Southy?
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

The pied white and pure white are about as big as Southy (450 grams) in terms of weight, maybe a bit less, but the pure white one is slender in shape, like a utility king, and Southy's a fancy king. My uneducated guess is that the pure white is a utility king and the other is a pied white homer, but I could be way off.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:39 pm

So there are only 2 ferals?
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm

There are a total of five in the shelter, including these two. I reposted these two because I thought they may be kings, in which case I'd be concerned about someone adopting them who doesn't realize that kings aren't very good at flying. I don't have details about the histories of the pigeons, because they were brought in as seizures in a hoarding case. I'm guessing that they're all ferals, given the location (urban), but that's only a guess.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Feral to me is a bird that was taken off the street or the off spring of birds taken off the street....city pigeons.
Back to top Go down
feathers111

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am

Matilda wrote:
Feral to me is a bird that was taken off the street or the off spring of birds taken off the street....city pigeons.

Yes, that's how I also define "feral." I'm guessing now, thanks to everyone's id-input, that they're all non-kings and ferals, although there's no telling how long they were off the streets before being seized in the rescue.
Back to top Go down
pigy

pigy

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 6:59 am

Hello, I live in Philadelphia and I found a baby pigeon last spring. She is about a year old and just recently she laid 2 eggs. I always see her spin, jump, bow in the cage and makes distressed sounds. This makes me really sad because I know she doesn't want to be in the cage but I know that the outside world would definitely be a bad idea. She lands on people's heads in the house; even guests! She's so cute and playful. Tickled Pink When she bites me, she doesn't let go, I love her so much but at the same time I want the best for this beauty. Here is a picture of her:

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) CIMG6578

If anyone is interested, let me know
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Pigy, I'm afraid your pigeon doesn't share your views on adoption being best for her... Wink
The actions you described, including the 'distressed' sounds and the fact she laid eggs, indicate that she has chosen YOU as her life-long mate, and that's her way of showing her affection. And the 'biting', more like nibbling I'd guess, if a request for a fuss and a treat.

Still, if you must give her up for adoption, I hope she will find a place where she will be as loved! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:21 am

What a pretty little one, Pigy. Smile
As Teresa has mentioned, it does sound like she has chosen you to be her mate.

Sending positive thoughts that all works out well. Fingers crossed
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigy

pigy

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Thank you, that's just adorable. Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 395766
For the past few days, she has been hiding herself inside the newspapers, could this mean that she will lay another egg? I just don't want her to be uncomfortable. Also, when I get her out at random times she presses her body to the ground so I preen her. Do you guys think she's happy in the cage though?

By the way, I just found a place who would take her... Disappointed
Anyone familiar with this place :

The Schuylkill Wildlife Rehabilitation Center?
I basically called the place and they said that I could drop her off at anytime and she will be with other pigeons... Sorry I am actually kind of scared because while I did read good reviews about the place online, the thought of them eventually releasing the pigeon to the wild gives me discomfort just because of the fact that I don't know if the outside world is for her. Does anyone think it's safe to give her for adoption?

It's just that she's so tame, she even slides, charges, and even jumps on my hand. It's almost like she's a performer... I love it/them Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) 983488 Dove right
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 pm

That idea isn't going to work, Pigy... sorry...

I checked them out, and their website is out of action, and most of the pages relating to them can't be found. The center doesn't appear to exist any more. There is only a clinic with that name:

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Schuykill

They state clearly that they only take in native species of birds, and only temporarily, and the idea is to treat them and return them to the wild. I have no idea why they would have told you they would take her in when you called them... I have NO idea
Note also, on the first page of this topic, that Feathers111 said he hadn't found a suitable place in Philadelphia to rehome the pigeons he'd rescued. Perhaps you know him...?

I suspect that your pigeon doesn't even know that she's a pigeon, but thinks she's a little human being with feathers.
Young pigeons who are hand-reared relate to their carer much more than to other pigeons, and may even be afraid of them. They are said to be human-imprinted. They can learn to live with other pigeons, but the change has to be made quite gradually.
Also, they are unable to recognise a threat, say a hawk or a cat, and are very unlikely to survive if released.

Her actions, and the simple fact that she's laying eggs (which pigeons only do when they're in love, and not on a regular basis like chickens) clearly indicate that you are her entire world. Parting with you will break her heart, unless it is possible to find her someone who will give her a forever home and care for her on a one-to-one basis. Can you not keep her at all?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

The place exists as The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education:
http://www.schuylkillcenter.org/aboutus/
Back to top Go down
kapsiuk

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Pigy,

I know that your post was over a year ago, but I'm wondering if you still have your pigeon? If so, and you are still looking for a good home, I would be willing to give her one. I have had a few pet pigeons over the past 20 years and just recently have adopted a new one who I'd like to have a friend for. I am having a custom coop constructed and it will be ready in just a few weeks.

I'm hoping that you were able to keep her and that all is going well with you both, but wanted to offer just in case you still need to find her a good home. (We live about 45 min outside of the city of Philly, in the suburbs, near West Chester and the King of Prussia Mall.) you can email me at kapsiuk@gmail.com if you like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)   Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeons in need of foster/adoption in Philadelphia, PA (US)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next