Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zian

zian

Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Empty
PostSubject: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 am

hi there everyone
im new to this site would like some advice please if anybody can help.....
ok well iv rescued 3 pigeons from a farm where i kept my horse, the lady who owns the place let someone shoot some pigeons which in effect has left orphans,

I bought home a couple of months ago a tiny little baby which i hand fed she has now grown up and can fly but still lives with us, iv also got little george who is about 4 weeks old he has most of his feathers he does eat seed from a bowl but still likes his breakfast and tea from a syringe im not too worried about him hes looking good, the problem lies with tiny "georges" sister she is way behind george she still looks like a baby she only has a few feathers i have to feed her around every 4 hours by syringe, she is very active and vocal but because she is so small i keep her in a box with a blanket and her heat mat, i get her out of thebox often and she practices
eating seed like George and Snowy which is great, any idea why she might be so behind with her growth?
Iv had George and Tiny for 2 weeks they both came from same nest as both their parents were destroyed ( the farm owner was trying to knock their nest down with them in it and later nature take its cause) any advice would be great thanks also i can supply pics
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Zian. Hi there/Bye
Welcome to Pigeon Angels. It's great to have you here.

Bless you for taking in and caring for the little orphans. Pigeon angel

Since Tiny seems alert, active, squeaking and attempting to eat on her own, I would guess that her slow growth may be due to not getting enough to eat while in the nest. Sometimes the smaller sibling gets pushed to the side by the larger one. Shame on them

It's aways good though to be on the lookout for any signs of illness (e.g. becoming quite, listless, not wanting to eat, fluffed like she were cold).

Any chance of posting a photo of Tiny and George?
Keeping her warm but allowing her is eat with the others is good. Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please 142829

Others will be along to offer their thoughts and suggestions.

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 9:42 am

Welcome Zian...nice to meet you.

How long have you had little George and his sister?
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 am

hi again and thanks for the replys , ive had George and Tiny for 2 weeks now ill put some pics on if someone could tell me how to do thanks
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 am

Hi, Zian and welcome! Hi there/Bye Welcome

Here's a link with instructions on how to post pictures in the forum:
http://www.pigeonangels.com/chitter-chatter-f19/instructions-for-posting-pictures-t709.htm

If Tiny seems healthy, itmust be what Cindy said, that she was a malnourished baby. But look out for signs of salmonella or canker, as both can affect growth. Pictures of poops would help too!

Link for symptoms: http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php

Last edited by Teresa on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm

If you've had them for 2 weeks now, it could be they have canker or a bacteria infection. Both would be very common and could keep one form growing more than the other.

Do either have stinky poop...rings of clear liquid around the droppings or yellow in the poop?
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 pm

[img][/img[img]http://i20.servi[url=https://servimg.com/view/15800994/1]Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please 71410mg.com/https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/15/80/09/94/george11.jpgu/f20/15/80/09/94/th/71410.jpg[/img][/url]]really dont know if i done it right george is the black and white one and the other is tiny.
Tiny's poo is really watery i thought it was because i make her feed with warm boiled water, iv got a horrible feeling inside that she is ill.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Sorry...the link doesn't work.
How much and what are you feeding her?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 pm

A good place to start is to follow this link and order Spartrex. It's one you need to have on hand if you have pigeons.
Would you like a veterinarian referal that treats pigeons?

http://pigeons.taylorschoice.co.uk/categories/pigeon_health_hygiene.php?startpos=176

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:20 pm

This for bacteria would be a good choice.

http://www.pantex.net/pigeons/datasheets/Salmonella-tab.pdf
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Here's a link to vets, rehabbers and sanctuaries in England .

http://www.pigeonangels.com/pigeon-resources-f8/matilda-s-list-england-t256.htm
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

sorry guys im having real trouble sending pics George is almost fully grown he has nearly all his feathers poor Tiny is the picture on my profile that pic was taken 2 days ago so there is a real difference in growth , i am worried sick now that theres something wrong with her.
I feed Tiny every 4 hours i give her a weetabix soaked in boiled water i mix in some conditioning seeds (very small) leave it to cool so that its just warm, iv cut the end off a 10ml syringe Tiny puts her beak into it and kinda sucks the mixture out she'll take around six tubes full approx 60mls i feed her at 7am and carry on through the day till around 7.30pm i hope this is ok
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Perhaps you can find a hand feeding formuala designed for baby birds, in a pet store. I don't know what you have available in England but we use Exact, here.

Only feed her when her crop empties which may or may not be 4 hours later. If you add new food to older food that hasn't moved through the crop, the risk is run of the baby developing a bacterial infection.
I am very suspicious the baby has canker and perhaps a bacteria infection. If you follow the links I gave you a few posts back to pigeon supply companies, it would be a good idea to oder them directly. The other option is taking her to a vet to have her poop analyzed.
She is very adorable, little thing and you are wonderful to have taken these precious feathered creatures under your care. Bless you...bless them. Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please 983488

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Here they are! cheers

Tiny:
Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please 71410

and George:
Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please George11

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm

That's a huge difference, for sure.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for helping zian with posting the pictures, Teresa. Great job
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Tiny really is 'tiny'. And such a little doll baby. Tickled Pink
There's definitely something going on with her though.
She does look alert. Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please 142829
When you feed her, is she eager to eat?

George is stunning. Star quality

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi again everybody, good news i took Tiny to the vets this afternoon, she was examined vet thought she was bit on the thin side and decided to put her on a course of antibiotics called baytril oral she is to have 2mls daily for five days, vet hopes diahorrea will have cleared up after 2 days and wants to see her at the end of the week so fingers crossed, the vet said she is very lively and is not too worried as yet... she is sleeping at the moment after a nice warm feed ah bless her thanks for all your help and i shall keep you all posted x
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 pm

thanks so much for helping with the pictures, i really am rubbish on computers lol, i really do love these little birds and would be totally heartbroken if anything was too happen to any of them, iv got quite a few rescued animals inclusive of 3 hens 2 dogs and a pony i and i adore each and every one of them x
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 3:51 pm

zian wrote:
Hi again everybody, good news i took Tiny to the vets this afternoon, she was examined vet thought she was bit on the thin side and decided to put her on a course of antibiotics called baytril oral she is to have 2mls daily for five days, vet hopes diahorrea will have cleared up after 2 days and wants to see her at the end of the week so fingers crossed, the vet said she is very lively and is not too worried as yet... she is sleeping at the moment after a nice warm feed ah bless her thanks for all your help and i shall keep you all posted x

That's great news! Let us know how she's doing. Could be her brother should have the antibiotic too, as he likely is carrying the same bacteria which may manifest later.
Ask the vet about also giving nystatin. My experience is that baytril can cause a yeast infection as id destroys the good bacteria as well as the bad.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:22 pm

zian wrote:
thanks so much for helping with the pictures, i really am rubbish on computers lol, i really do love these little birds and would be totally heartbroken if anything was too happen to any of them, iv got quite a few rescued animals inclusive of 3 hens 2 dogs and a pony i and i adore each and every one of them x

Many of us here, only have rescued animals.
I have 5 hens, 2 parrots, 1 cat, 1 dog and currently...25 pigeons. All are rescues here.
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm

i shall ask vet tomoro i will ring in the morning, i asked about george having some medicin and he said as george seems healthy not to be too worried, i shall keep a close eye on all my birds.
Iam having real trouble finding a baby formula for Tiny no one seems to want to help any suggestions i would be grateful, when you say the baytril cause yeast infections would a little live yoghurt help or am i way out lol!
thanks for your help and i must say you guys are briliant at giving advice thankyou x
Back to top Go down
zian

zian

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 pm

its so nice to hear that other people care for animals as much as i do, a lot of people think im nutty for taking in strays etc dont knowwhats wrong with some people , animals are so loyal i find pigeons totally facinating,
the vet we seen today was really lovely he didnt charge me for Tinys treatment so i left a donation for animals in need instead x
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 pm

zian wrote:
i shall ask vet tomoro i will ring in the morning, i asked about george having some medicin and he said as george seems healthy not to be too worried, i shall keep a close eye on all my birds.
Iam having real trouble finding a baby formula for Tiny no one seems to want to help any suggestions i would be grateful, when you say the baytril cause yeast infections would a little live yoghurt help or am i way out lol!
thanks for your help and i must say you guys are briliant at giving advice thankyou x

Try ringing up a pet shop that sells bird products and ask them if the have a hand feeding formula for baby birds. The one we use here most often is called Exact by K-Tee.
If you can't find any, buy some powdered rice cereal for human babies, applesauce for human babies and some jars of peas for human babies. You can mix them in equal parts, warmed and use for a hand feeding formula.
You can use yogurt, with active cultures...1cc per feeding but I would get the nystatin if you can. Also, do treat the other baby....wouldn't want you to have a tragedy.
Also be a good thing to order the spartex I gave you the link to as all babies should be given a tablet after they are weaned.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Here are some wearning instructions for when the time comes. They are pre-written.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please   Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby pigeon doesnt seem to be growing advice needed please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next