Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Empty
PostSubject: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Geraldo has come to me for treatment once more. He simply flew in through the window, as before. Clever boy!

This was his story before:
http://www.pigeonangels.com/t2390-string-injury-found-me
http://www.pigeonangels.com/t2531-sssh-there-s-a-feral-in-the-room

The day before yesterday I thought one of Geraldo's toes looked a bit discoloured, and took this photo to help me monitor him:

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9174-Ger-cr400

Then yesterday I was alarmed at the change... I tried to catch him, but no luck.

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9202-Ger-cr400

This evening, he just flew right into my study. I closed the window, then the shutters, and picked him up.
What I saw horrified me. His toe was black and split from end to end, looking like a shrivelled chilli pepper. There was dried blood on his feathers, and his foot was hot and a bit swollen.

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9232-r550

I gave him an antibiotic and a drop of Metacam and went to get the basket ready for him, including the heating pad. Then I examined his toe and soaked it in dilute hydrogen peroxide to disinfect it and kill any bacteria or parasites in the wound.

He wasn't at all stressed at being put in the basket. I think he recognised it, as well as the familiar sounds of Piper and Hercules's voices. He ate and drank by himself, then settled down to sleep.
If the necrotic tissue hasn't dropped off by morning, I'm taking him to the vet. My gut instinct tells me he needs injectable antibiotics.

Just as a point of reference, I labelled some older photos and marked the position of the toe that has just turned bad, after 6 months!

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB7778-r500-1

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB7781-r500-1

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB8218-cr400

Last edited by Teresa on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 am

Dr. Ana Luisa won't be in till Monday, so it's been arranged I continue giving him antibiotics and Metacam and check his progress. If necessary, one of the other (non avian) vets will see him.

Geraldo is very lively, eating, drinking and pooping well. Trying to climb up the sides of the basket, too!!
Geraldo The Fearless indeed!!! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

The bad toe has fallen off without bleeding, Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic 44767 leaving only a couple of flaps of dry skin which I trimmed. The swelling has gone and the foot doesn't feel as warm.
I'm stopping the Metacam now and continuing with the antibiotic and the regular foot disinfection.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Today's developments:

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9234-r550

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9235-cr550

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9238-cr550

Even though when I removed the string I made sure to remove also all of the callous material that was under it (or interbedded with it)...

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB8220-cr180

... it is clear from the photos above that it grew back again... Disappointed

God, I hate string injuries!!! Evil, wrong doing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 1:25 am

Oh my goodness!! What a time poor Geraldo has had with these darn string problems. Very sad
It's absolutely amazing what they can tolerate. Bless their hearts. Pigeon angel

You are truly a godsend to all of them, Teresa. Universal hug

Your labeled photos are wonderful. I have to say, as bad as his foot was, it's looking remarkably good now.

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 am

Teresa - this is really awful. Thank you so much for thinking of Rudi and sending me an alert. This is exactly what I am worried about all the time. Thank heaven I can monitor Rudi closely when something is wrong because he sleeps here with Pina.

And as the devil wants it he injured the middle toe of his bad foot - it was somehow cut. But I detected it on time and treated him. It was swollen for a couple of days and he limped again but now the swelling has come down and the inflammation is nearly gone. I am watching the part though where the string has cut into the flesh so that not a new callous is coming back. From time to time I am removing carefully everything that looks like dirt or dried poop and old skin and wash his feet regularly.
The difference to Geraldo's badly strangled toe is that the lower part of Rudi's toe still has a good connection to the tarsus or "dorsum" - so the blood circulation is okay. The toe was strangled "only" on the top.

I think Geraldo knew that he was losing the toe and he tried to get rid of it - that's probably why it looked so terrible. He must have picked on it like crazy.

Sending healing thoughts for Geraldo. Poor little chap - I hope he is getting well soon again!

Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank you, Cindy and Petra! Thank You circling

Cindy, I couldn't agree more with you about how much some poor pigeons have to endure, and how brave they are!
String injuries, in particular, break my heart, because they wouldn't happen in a pigeon's natural environment -- they are a hazard caused by humans, and if people were a little more careful about what they throw away and how they do it, this wouldn't happen! Disappointed

Petra, I thought the bad news about callous constriction rings growing back would be important for you, considering Rudi's convalescence and any other string injuries you may come across.
Thank you for the update on Rudi, it was great to know he's doing well and the injury to his middle toe has healed well.
Give him and Pina a kiss from me! Dove right Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic 983488 Cute Dove

Geraldo is doing remarkably well! He had some time to exercise today, and he was walking with no indication of discomfort. What a trooper!!! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 4:06 am

Yeah - it is not quite over yet with Rudi's toe but it is definitely getting better.
Yesterday I washed his feet again and with a needle I could remove some tiny stuff again from the constriction ring. So this means to me that if I don't do this from time to time a new callous would grow back here as well. Oh man - I really hate these string injuries - they cause so much more problems than any other illness because it just does not stop... Oh no
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm so glad that Geraldo is doing well. YESS!! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Thank you, Cindy!
He's doing great and the skin has now closed over the wound. This boy is getting ready for take off, and no mistake! Celebrate Great job
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 am

Teresa wrote:
Thank you, Cindy!
He's doing great and the skin has now closed over the wound.

This boy is getting ready for take off, and no mistake! Celebrate Great job

pigeon 1 Fly safe, sweet Geraldo pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

And he's away!!!

Don't get into trouble, Geraldo The Fearless, and visit any time you want!
pigeon 1 Feeling great Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic 116281
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Geraldo today! cheers Feeling great

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic DSCNB9313-r550-1
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thank you, Cindy and Petra! Thank You circling

Cindy, I couldn't agree more with you about how much some poor pigeons have to endure, and how brave they are!

String injuries, in particular, break my heart, because they wouldn't happen in a pigeon's natural environment -- they are a hazard caused by humans, and if people were a little more careful about what they throw away and how they do it, this wouldn't happen! Disappointed

Petra, I thought the bad news about callous constriction rings growing back would be important for you, considering Rudi's convalescence and any other string injuries you may come across.
Thank you for the update on Rudi, it was great to know he's doing well and the injury to his middle toe has healed well.
Give him and Pina a kiss from me! Dove right Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic 983488 Cute Dove

Geraldo is doing remarkably well! He had some time to exercise today, and he was walking with no indication of discomfort. What a trooper!!! I love it/them

We humans couldn't tolerate a fraction of what these incredible birds do in the manner in which they do it. Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic 559177
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:13 pm

I agree I'm a bear with a sore head if I get a bad headache, goodness knows what it would be like to live in so much constant pain!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic   Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toe turned necrotic in 3 days!!! -- Beware, graphic
Page 1 of 1