Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pigie

Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?) Empty
PostSubject: Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?)   Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 am

Several days ago my pigeon started picking his wing and bleeding increased. When I got fed up with amount of blood, I washed her and bandaged the wing. Now, after couple of days of being bandaged, there is almost no bleeding, just a drop or two. But when I change the bandages, the bleeding slightly increases. So far, this looks to me like Blood Feather broken.
Also, the skin around the bleeding is bluish. I presume that is where the pigeon pecked it in attempts to deal with broken feather. The blood is not coming from the feather itself. The blood is coming from around the feather's shaft, from the follicle of the skin in which the broken feather's stub sits. The feather itself appears to be old one, not a blood feather: it is white, hollow, etc. It might be that the bleeding from real blood feather has stopped and there is a blood clot there. But the feather next to it has bleeding from the follicle (not from the shaft) perhaps because bird pulled on it in attempts to deal with bleeding of real blood feather?
I will look at it more closely next time I change the bandages, and take macro photographs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (4/01/2012): looks like problem is going away. Bleeding stopped. She is being a good bird now - not pecking her wing into bloody mess, etc. She is going to be fine.

Last edited by pigie on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigie.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?)   Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 8:15 pm

This article may help, but according to it you need another pair of hands. However, if you're not sure that's what the problem is, it would be best to get an opinion from a vet.

http://www.pigeonangels.com/t2496-what-is-a-blood-feather-and-when-and-how-to-pull-one
Back to top Go down

Anybody in Portland wants to help me to pull blood feather (possibly cancer?)
Page 1 of 1