Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
txyellowrose

Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Empty
PostSubject: Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!   Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi all,

Yesterday a white racing/homing pigeon decided to stop off here. I read the band and called the appropriate contact for the racing chapter. That gentleman assured me he would contact the owner and that the owner would call me last night. I received no phone call and, after researching and finding that many "failed" racers are destroyed, I'm wondering if the owner will even claim this beautiful darling.

Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! IMG_4474_thumb%25255B1%25255D

Would I even send it back to a certain death? Don't know. Would have to ask the owner what will happen to "RP" as I'm calling him/her.

Thinking the owner would come today to get the bird, we brought RP in and he/she spent the night in a box. RP was obviously tired, as he/she ate, drank and then napped. Prior to capture, I could just see this beauty was tired.

RP appears very healthy and is quite the beauty.

This morning, not hearing anything from the owner, I got RP out of the box, which was only meant for an overnight stay.

RP has been hanging about, quite close, all day. This bird doesn't look like it knows what to do in the wild. It is becoming hungry and probably thirsty, although I have put out seed and water and have been coaxing him/her to eat. Looks like I'll be trying to get it again and put it in the cage I bought today for safekeeping overnight. We have predators on the property - fox, feral cats, etc.

Here's the deal. While I want to give RP a fighting chance, I really do not want or need a caged bird. We full-time in our RV and, although probably at this location for at least a year, a caged bird is impractical for our lifestyle. We also have a dog.

I'll call or send an email to the racing federation contact again and see if the owner wants the bird. Other than that . . .

I am open to it being here on the property and caging/bringing it in when necessary in extreme weather, etc.

Anyone want a lovely, sweet bird? Have any suggestions about helping this bird hold its own in the wild? It's like it doesn't know how to be a bird. We have lots here, so there are plenty of examples!! Smile

Thanks so much - contact me if you know a legit rescue group.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!   Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi txyellowrose! Hi there/Bye

Thank you for helping that pigeon! I think you're absolutely right in that he doesn't know what to do in the wild, he was obviously born in captivity and looks quite young.
Are you in PA? That's such a difficult part of the country to find rehabbers! Our resources are limited to 2 veterinary clinics and 3 wildlife rehab centres, but that's not what your foundling needs.

PA -- http://www.pigeonangels.com/t224-matilda-s-list-united-states-o-w

NJ -- Animal & Bird Health Care Center and Hospital
1785 Springdale Road
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Dr. David Kupersmith, DVM

Could you please post the registration number on the bird's band? In the meanwhile I'll see what else I can find. Our member Becky is an expert on racing pigeons. Maybe she can work another miracle. Smile

PS. He's gorgeous! I'd keep him myself if I was a few thousand miles closer...
Back to top Go down
txyellowrose

PostSubject: Trying to Get RP Home!   Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Teresa,

Thank you so very much for your reply. Since posting, I have been in contact with "RP"'s owner. He very much wants her home, has been giving me tips and encouragement for caging/capturing her, and will come get her if we can cage her. That's a drive of 60+ miles for him. That in itself says something and, in speaking with him a few times, I am very comfortable with returning RP to him if we can get her caged.

She is coming regularly to eat and has been in the cage, so I am still hopeful we can get the door shut!

Thanks again!

pigeon 1

Betty
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!   Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:12 pm

That's really good news! Happy

Is there any way you might be able to attach a string to the cage door to pull it shut from a distance? I'm so glad that her owner really cares about her and she will have a chance to go home soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!   Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found - Racing/Homing White Pigeon in NJ - Help!
Page 1 of 1