Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!

Go down 
+7
Jenaka
wolfwood
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Teresa
Matilda
Capuccino
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Capuccino

Capuccino

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Empty
PostSubject: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:22 pm

This one is Floyd, named by Ben, the boy who found him standing around in a field doing not much of anything, and brought him home.

Floyd is a 2009 racer (now ex-racer!) from Bristol, only about 75 miles from where he was found but who knows where he'd flown from. Not sure whether Floyd was just tired out, or maybe had a near miss with a hawk. He's lost some tail feathers, and looks like maybe a little feathering from his head. He couldn't fly at that stage, but can now take off across a room. Not sure what his ability is yet, though, so I'll try him tomorrow in my 'pigeon room'. He weighs in at over 450 grams, anyway. He seems friendly, being fine about being held but preferring to stand on my hand as he did with Ben. Funny thing was, though, after putting him in a hospital cage to settle, he gave me a halfhearted wingslap when I put my hand in :) "Now I'm here, it's my territory!". He relented, though, and got on my hand so I could take him out to weigh him.

Ben and his folks cared for Floyd for just over a week, but they knew he really needed a home where he could be with other pigeons. Emily, Ben's mother, posted on PT and after a couple of days I contacted her by email, as we had no further response. I talked with her on the phone yesterday and arranged to go collect Floyd after work tonight. They are such nice people, real soft-hearted animal lovers, and looked after Floyd well. He even got real pigeon food, and Ben told me he really likes his corn.

The thing that upset the family was when Floyd's owner told them that if he had the bird back, he'd simply 'neck him' as he wouldn't be any good for racing. Well, they weren't going to have this pigeon killed just because he lost a few feathers, no way, so the idea of getting him fully fit and letting him fly was out of the question.

His first poops here are a little watery and small, but I hope that's just due to upheaval - I'm told he has been very prolific in his poops so far, to go along with his good appetite. So, I'll be monitoring him awhile.

'Pretty Boy' Floyd shortly after arrival

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Floyd_1
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Pretty Boy, sure sums him up.
WOW...the Angels were sure looking out for him...great save. Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm

What a handsome boy! Beats me how anybody could consider 'necking' him -- he may not be a racer any more but he's still a winner!
Well done to Ben and his family, and of course to you, John! Floyd is going to be one spoiled pigeon!
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Floyd is one lucky bird!
I’m glad his sports career is over and even more that he lost this race. Many people in pigeon racing have no idea about this sport and how to treat their birds.
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 4:31 pm

I need not have been concerned about Floyd's poops! He's been hanging around on the bed most of the day and he has been a real pooper trouper Smile Big, round and well formed poops everywhere.

He hasn't tried flying, which is unusual, so I suspect that he has a problem with one wing. I did see him kind of fly off the boy's hand yesterday, and they said he flew onto the top of a door, but I have a feeling it's straight line flying without much strength or lift. Wing feathers are kind of rough in a small patch, so he could have some bruising. I'll get him checked over by the avian vet.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Floyd sure is a good lookin' pij, John. Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 52853

It seems like many people could learn from Master Ben, including Floyd's previous owner.
Now worries now though, he's in good hands.
Glad to hear he's a true pooper trouper! Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 164371
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
wolfwood
Special Pigeon Angel
wolfwood

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Floyd may have lost that race, but he sure seems to have won THIS one!!! No question that he's got angels watching over him! Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 789920
Back to top Go down
http://4winds.zenfolio.com
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 pm

I'll never understand how some people can just discard a bird like so much trash. Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Shame on them! :For Shame:

I hope little Floyd makes a complete recovery. Way To Go To Ben and family!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 am

I do not understand the whole "sporting" theme either and the stress the birds are put under. Pigeon racing in my opinion is about the ego of the owner and has nothing to do with love for birds.

Sorry if I upset anyone but this for once has to be said. Reading about all those rescue stories and how much people who do this really care for the birds makes me get really pissed about those who create a big part of the whole problem! Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:23 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
I do not understand the whole "sporting" theme either and the stress the birds are put under. Pigeon racing in my opinion is about the ego of the owner and has nothing to do with love for birds.

Sorry if I upset anyone but this for once has to be said. Reading about all those rescue stories and how much people who do this really care for the birds makes me get really pissed about those who create a big part of the whole problem! Mad

I agree with you, Petra.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 am

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 121820 as well, Petra.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:51 am

That's why we created this site. cheers
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Before I get goiong on my RANT.... :Rolling eyes: Let me say he is just so precious John! THANK goodness he found HIS WAY -To a real home! That face... just says it all if you read it right....

Which brings me to this Major Rant I have just had it with people who are in the sport of flying birds who just chalk off half of their birds, not returning after a race as if to say ..."oh well... it's part of the sport!" GRRRRR--- It just really PISSES me off. I understand that they are homing pigeons ...BUT...when your talking a race that is hundreds of miles...IS JUST ABSURD and IMHO-INHUMANE! They are HOT, TIRED and DE-HYDRATED! It's like saying to a human if you ever come in second or fall during a sport....your getting ousted and sent to camp for NOT haves.. Its JUST Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I see someone new post that they have "just" gotten into the sport they are always ITCHING to let their birds out.... Holy Sheep!! WHY not EDUCATE them at a local club BEFORE they fly... UGH... I could just go on... and ON..and ON... BUT Ive raised my blood pressure enough! I just DON'T get it

Deep BREATH!-------------------------------Im gonna go LOVE my birdies now!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I also have reservations about flying pigeons for sport or profit, or treating them as trophies.

Starting with the way pigeon racers breed and race them, keeping the winners and neglecting to say what happens to the rest. Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad

Then there's the 'my birds must fly at all costs' attitude. One example comes to mind, involving someone who plotted the statistical distribution of his losses to hawks. That's just sick! Not feeling well Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad

I'm not a fan of bird releases for ceremonial occasions (surely that's what baloons are for!) even though some people do seem to love their birds and say it's good for pigeon PR. Hmmm

I hate seeing people boasting about their beautiful birds but keeping them in crowded, filthy conditions, with inadequate or dirty food and water, and no medication when they're sick. When they eventually ask for help for their birds, they want a quick fix, are nearly always rude, and a few months down the line they do the same all over again! Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad

And I totally fail to see why people should paint pigeons in unnatural colours for fiestas and such-like nonsense! 🇳🇴
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:30 am

I race my pigeons from the roof of the house to the feeding dish twice a day. That's too funny
The problem with people involved in racing is that they do not understand their birds.
Wherever there is a sport with lots of money involved, there are a twisting and degeneration of human mind.
I started reading a book called “Advanced techniques in pigeon racing” or something like that. I’m not sure of exact title because I’ll try to forget the book, the author and content.
So one of the “advanced techniques” is to race a hen that is about to lay egg. According the sadist who came to the idea, she will fly faster to come to the nest and finish the job.
As long as there is such information gets published they will be a followers.
Widowhood system has been abandoned in Belgium (where originates from) long time ago. The rest of the world is still using it and they try to exploit every single detail of it.
The positive side of the sport for me is that more people get introduced to pigeons and not all of them are mutants. Avian medicine and research has been boosted because of demand. More and more people get racers rejects for pets so it is no more only canaries and parrots in the house.
As I already mentioned I read and do research on pigeon racing. Arguing with someone in the “sport” is worthless if you are unable to give him better and more efficient (human) option. He/she won’t stop racing because of me, but maybe if I can move them an inch in right direction I’ll help their birds.
Hmmm
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am

plamenh wrote:
I race my pigeons from the roof of the house to the feeding dish twice a day. That's too funny
The problem with people involved in racing is that they do not understand their birds.
Wherever there is a sport with lots of money involved, there are a twisting and degeneration of human mind

I started reading a book called “Advanced techniques in pigeon racing” or something like that. I’m not sure of exact title because I’ll try to forget the book, the author and content.
So one of the “advanced techniques” is to race a hen that is about to lay egg. According the sadist who came to the idea, she will fly faster to come to the nest and finish the job.
As long as there is such information gets published they will be a followers.
Widowhood system has been abandoned in Belgium (where originates from) long time ago. The rest of the world is still using it and they try to exploit every single detail of it.
The positive side of the sport for me is that more people get introduced to pigeons and not all of them are mutants. Avian medicine and research has been boosted because of demand. More and more people get racers rejects for pets so it is no more only canaries and parrots in the house.
As I already mentioned I read and do research on pigeon racing. Arguing with someone in the “sport” is worthless if you are unable to give him better and more efficient (human) option. He/she won’t stop racing because of me, but maybe if I can move them an inch in right direction I’ll help their birds.
Hmmm

I couldn't agree more. It also seems that most racers view thier birds more as things than creatures that are living,breathing, feeling...
Mnay are locked into the old way of doing things and more likely to accept what the 90 year old pigeon keep advises that using common sense and kindness.
I could rant for hours. This is one of those subjects that makes the top of my head feel like it will explode. I just DON'T get it
Back to top Go down
wolfwood
Special Pigeon Angel
wolfwood

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Although we've only had birds for a year ... I have long wondered about pigeon racing ... how the birds are trained, fed, cared for, etc. I have been training and competing with horses and dogs for years tho....and have seen sooooo much inhumanity directed at these wonderful, innocent, trusting souls it just makes me scream.

Unfortunately, the behavior of the "fancier" towards the non-winning birds is so very much like the behavior of so many heavily trained, highly competitive "dog people" who I have competed against (and had the pleasure of BEATING!!). I won't bore you with the details of some of the things I've seen people do or how they've reacted as they've walked out of the ring without the blue ribbon....blaming a less than stellar performance on the dog. Hey - who's the trainer? Who's the one who "knows the rules"? Who's the one who gives a damn about a score or a placing? (My dogs just care that they get to play with JUST me and they get ALL of my attention .... when "training" or "competing"...it's all just one big happy game to them!!!) I've even pointed out to a few of them that this is a TEAM SPORT - human & dog .... and *maybe* - no - PROBABLY - it was the human who "failed" the dog. Whether it be birds or dogs, these owners are in the "game" for ego-building, NOT for the love of the animal or the partnership built between human & dog or bird. These are the people who train with hard voices and harder faces, rarely if ever touching the dog (or bird) just for the shear pleasure of the bond. These are the people who can't simply look into the eyes of the creature they are responsible for "caring for" and tell that the animal is sick or unhappy. And I can assure you, that there is very little money winning involved with Dog Sport. No, this atrocious behavior is about the human ego.

Major Rant Major Rant Major Rant Rant over.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Rant away, Wolfwood...I agree with you 100%.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:50 am

Quote :

Me too. I can't imagine anything that would persuade me to take one of my birds away from their home, mate, nest ..then and release it to see whether - and if so how quickly - it would make it back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 am

I totally agree with you as well, Wolfwood. Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 142829

Cynthia wrote:
Quote :

Me too.
I can't imagine anything that would persuade me to take one of my birds away from their home, mate, nest ..then and release it to see whether - and if so how quickly - it would make it back.

And that's what separates us from the racing fancier. We look out for the welfare of pigeons.
Back to top Go down
Effa
Special Pigeon Angel
Effa

PostSubject: Pigeon Racing   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:52 pm

I believe we could all go on and on about abuse of all animals. It is really sad, and it would be nice if we could all be vegetarians but that is not a reality in this world. But with knowledge we can change how people treat their animals. When Seagull came into my life I thought it would be nice to race him or a bird like him(since he had his wing in a wrap) but as I study about the racing I realized that it wasn’t a sport for me, I would not be able to let the birds go, and then if they did get lose I would just worry myself sick until they all return and if they didn’t return I really don’t think my Hubby would go for driving me around so I could scan the sky looking for my silly white babies.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! 23878
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Well, our litttle fella is certainly retired from racing at the tender age (probably) of 8 months. He's been checked over by our avian vet, who said he did have, as I thought, some bruising to one wing and possibly a cracked bone, but nothing apparently broken. He has now done his quarantine and we introduced him to the aviary yesterday morning.

Here he is having a look around. In the second pic he is being watched by Sleepsalot (the dark one, one of our PMV birds) and Bootsie.

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Floydinaviary1

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Floydinaviary2
Back to top Go down
wolfwood
Special Pigeon Angel
wolfwood

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Welcome to the "Big House", buddy!
Back to top Go down
Effa
Special Pigeon Angel
Effa

PostSubject: Welcome to the Big House   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 am

Way Cool pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:46 am

Looks like he will fit right in. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!   Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another pigeon who would have got the chop from his owner!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next