Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Aviary Renovation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 am

We have been discussing my aviary issue in Cynthia's thread Rescued Pigeons Swapping Nests regarding Malio and Dolly being total birdie brats. :For Shame:

I decided to start a new thread so the two issues (Cynthia's and mine) won't get confused.

I so appreciate all the input I received in the prior thread.

Update:
The other evening Charis and I were hashing over the situation and she was thinking maybe the birds are bored. Hmmm , that makes a lot of sense. When you think about it, what do some kids and some adults do when they are bored? They get into trouble.

Charis suggested:
* I put up a few more nest baskets and perching areas so the birds have a variety to choose from and hopefully Malio and Dolly will be detoured from Mikko's place.

* Give them some nesting material.
I explained they love, are offered pine needles. Give them a variety of twigs and such along with the pine needles. Great Idea/thought .

* Put in a couple 'toys', e.g., a small ball or a couple of little stuffed animal for them to explore.
So off I go, with list in hand, to my favorite store 'The Dollar Tree'. YESS!!
I found 2 clusters of dried fern leaves, and misc twigs one would use for a floral arrangement and a couple more baskets. Lst night I cut some of them up and intermixed them with some pine needles.

I also have three 1/2 baskets (that go flush against a wall or cage in this case) that will work well. I have one in Little Dove and Blueberry's home. Blueberry absolutely loves it. Tickled Pink

As soon as I get the guys fed and do my cleaning, I plan to get started. Our mornings are finally beginning to cool down so it will be great working weather. Aviary Renovation 142829

Again, Thanks for all the :Need some help and suggestions that have been given to me.
If anyone has more suggestions/ideas please do post them. Smile
Will keep everyone posted on how the renovation goes. And of course will get some Picture(s)/video .
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:28 am

Good. You know how we love those pictures. Right on
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am

Yep! That's too funny
We love them so much we feel like doin' the Happy Dance in anticipation of what's to come. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 pm

You might try to find something to use for nests that is more enclosed. I know most of my pairs like secluded nests and don't like anyone, me or other birds, looking at them while they are sitting. Maybe they want a little privacy? Smile

I also like to spread various nest material around the place for them to find. I offer pine needles, twigs, shredded paper, hay and tobacco stems. A couple of my indoor birds do like toys, especially small soft ones tied up so they dangle. Bells are good too. Muffin has an old soft caterpillar he likes to beat up like a punching bag. It's starting to fall apart now LOL. Some enjoy mirrors. Pick pots they love, especially the hens.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Great ideas, Jen. Right on
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Jen. I really appreciate the suggestions.
It seems that moving the aviary outside has caused the problem. Disappointed
Due to my health, moving it back inside is not an option.

I have had Malio vacationing, out of the aviary view, for nearly two weeks. Dolly was vacationing in an unoccupied cage in the aviary for about the same amount of time.

Today I put up more baskets, some mirrors, scattered some various nesting materials (twings, pine needles, dried pieces of fern, etc) around and then decided to put Malio and Dolly back with the others.

Things seemed to be going OK. Malio was dancing around Sadie, Dolly and Dumpling were in and out of their basket minding their own business.

I went inside to cool off for a bit and when I walked into the AZ room I looked outside and Malio was chasing the devil out of poor Sam. Everytime she landed he would follow, nipping at her heals until she flew somewhere else. He absolutely would not leave her alone. I'm guessing this started soon after I went inside as Sam was exhausted when I went out there.
Then he would start in with Mikko. Mikko would wing slap him silly. Malio could care less.

I removed him again (this is the third or forth time). After he was gone then Dolly started in. I just DON'T get it

So now we're back to where we were this morning. Malio and Dolly have been removed and everything is great. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aviary Renovation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aviary Renovation   Aviary Renovation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aviary Renovation
Page 1 of 1