Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
It sounds like Lillith had a mission in mind. No rest for the wicked - Page 2 193770
You did a Great job , Teresa.

[color=black]Here's a little revision of the Pigeon's Prayer for sweet Lillith.

Please watch over me while I fly,
Keep me safe from the predators that share the sky.

If I have any problems in any way,
Please lead me back to Teresa's where I am welcome to stay.

Oh, that's lovely! Circle of Love
I took this photo today of the building she came to land on. She's probably one of the little pin-pricks up on the ledge! Happy

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2294-r550
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Yep! I bet Lillith IS one of those pijjies on the ledge. Wink
Happy, content and grateful for your help, enabling her to rejoin her flock. Celebrate
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Ouch! Those poor pigeon feet! Amazing they can still go on with such severe injuries. With the string removed, will Paul's toes improve at all?
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Jenaka wrote:
Ouch! Those poor pigeon feet! Amazing they can still go on with such severe injuries. With the string removed, will Paul's toes improve at all?

Yes, poor Paul, he was really brave and patient while I treated him, but it will be worth it. I am very confident that he is feeling much more comfortable now, without all that string and the callous that formed around it effectively strangling his toes. He had already lost two but it looks like the others are safe now.
Even during the course of the treatment I could see the colour of his toes improving. And by removing all the debris and the old dried blood and dead skin, all that was left was healthy skin, and eventually flesh and skin will grow and fill up the gaps. My heart leapt for joy when I saw him standing on the scaffolding, as he hadn't been able to stand before.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Meanwhile, in the 'hospital' cage, Penny is improving visibly. The swelling on her knee looks just a little less, but more importantly, the colour is much, much better, there's none of that nasty yellow left!
Thrilled
She's very fidgety, very alert, and very wingslappy, and she has stood up several times today.
Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:12 pm

You are just full of good news tonight! Way To Go
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:44 am

I am Soooo glad to hear Penny is improving. Celebrate
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:13 am

Teresa - between all these sad stories this is wonderful to hear. I am so happy about this Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Dolly

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:38 pm

good for penny.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 7:40 pm

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 373410 on Lilth!!! Way to go --- Good for her... pigeon 1 The smile you feel from their hearts is just amazing, isn't it! I know she stopped up there to properly Thank you! Wink

With Penny; I don't know if the others would recommend this ... But Willow came to us with a bummed foot, swollen etc... and we soaked her foot 2x's day in Epsom Salts... She didn't mind it, and of course she is a homer not a feral- but maybe that would help??? It did help us tremdously. confused
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 pm

AZJourney wrote:
No rest for the wicked - Page 2 373410 on Lilth!!! Way to go --- Good for her... pigeon 1 The smile you feel from their hearts is just amazing, isn't it! I know she stopped up there to properly Thank you! Wink

With Penny; I don't know if the others would recommend this ... But Willow came to us with a bummed foot, swollen etc... and we soaked her foot 2x's day in Epsom Salts... She didn't mind it, and of course she is a homer not a feral- but maybe that would help??? It did help us tremdously. confused

That's very interesting, I hadn't heard that suggested before. Do you know the reason for Willow's swollen foot? Was it Salmonella too?
I gave her a bath on Sunday, because no matter how often I remove the poops, she always manages to drag herself over one or more of them, and she was getting mucky. After the bath she was happy enough, preening herself. But DURING the bath it was a war zone! :eek: She fought me all the way and made sure I got as much of a bath as she did!
I got covered in poopy water from head to toe...
Having a bad day crazy Having a bad day crazy Having a bad day crazy Having a bad day
By comparison, getting covered in Epsom salts sounds a lot better!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 pm

On a sadder note, in one of my visits to the park today to fill the pigeons' water bowls, I picked up a pretty little red hen, no more than 4 monts old, who I found staggering on the ground. I hoped it was PMV, but unfortunately she was just the latest victim of Young Bird Sickness, and in less than 2 minutes she passed away in my hands. There were no visible signs of sickness except that she was quite thin, with a prominent keel. I hate this illness, and the way it kills apparently healthy birds so quickly that there's nothing we can do.
RIP, little one, pray for your flock when you get there.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:44 pm

What a shame. I'm so sorry. Having a bad day
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 12:40 am

I'm sorry to hear about the little hen, Teresa.

It's incredible how they sometimes hang on long enough to be cradled in the hands of a caring soul, then they move on.
It's almost as if she knew you would be coming by. Wink

Bless both of you Pigeon angel s.

pigeon 1 "May you now fly free over the Rainbow Bridge sweet little red hen" pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Mixed blessings   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:47 am

Friday was a bad day.
I got a phone call from a student saying there was a pigeon at the park who couldn't fly, so I grabbed the carrier and was there in 5 minutes. The pigeon was unaware of his surroundings and stargazing, but when I picked him up he was so light I knew it couldn't just be PMV. He died a minute later.
A few metres away another one was lying on the grass, already dead, victim of predator attack. (I wish people were civilised enough to walk their dogs on a leash! Seeing red/mad )

Yesterday I took in two more.
One is a very young adult with the biggest Salmonella lump on her right elbow I have ver seen. She was dehydrated and too weak to fly. After stabilising her temperature, I gave her hydrating solution and then put her on Baytril.
A couple of hours later she readily accepted some small seeds and shelled peas and corn, but had some difficulty swallowing, so I put her on Flagyl too.
All day today she's been able to eat and drink by herself, but her poops look like text-book Coccidiosis poops, and I haven't got anything for that in the house. I'll get it first thing tomorrow.
Can I give her all 3, Baytril, Flagyl and Coccilyse at the same time?

Here's her picture, taken today. Isn't she beautiful? I've named her Firefly.
No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2355-r500
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 am

The other rescue was a string injury I'd been trying to catch for 3 days. The best thing about saturdays is that you have more time, and it paid off, I was able to catch him.
Easy job this time No rest for the wicked - Page 2 44767 , thick string, so Bluey was soon free to go again!
No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2340-cr500

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2341-r500

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2343-r500
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 am

Gosh Teresa you have been very busy!

I am so sorry about all the deaths, we had an episode like that in the white flock at River Green three years ago.

Good work on the string injury! String injuries can be sooo satisfying to help when there is no damage, you know that if you had left it there would have been significant damage and you get all the string off so the pigeon can go straight back home.

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 848164
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 am

Oh my Teresa, I can feel your rage about certain people. I really hope you can save beautiful little Firefly. She IS a beauty. But no matter how pretty a bird is, each and everyone of them is a soul... Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:59 am

Teresa wrote:
Friday was a bad day.
I got a phone call from a student saying there was a pigeon at the park who couldn't fly, so I grabbed the carrier and was there in 5 minutes. The pigeon was unaware of his surroundings and stargazing, but when I picked him up he was so light I knew it couldn't just be PMV. He died a minute later.
A few metres away another one was lying on the grass, already dead, victim of predator attack. (I wish people were civilised enough to walk their dogs on a leash! Seeing red/mad )

Yesterday I took in two more.
One is a very young adult with the biggest Salmonella lump on her right elbow I have ver seen. She was dehydrated and too weak to fly. After stabilising her temperature, I gave her hydrating solution and then put her on Baytril.
A couple of hours later she readily accepted some small seeds and shelled peas and corn, but had some difficulty swallowing, so I put her on Flagyl too.
All day today she's been able to eat and drink by herself, but her poops look like text-book Coccidiosis poops, and I haven't got anything for that in the house. I'll get it first thing tomorrow.
Can I give her all 3, Baytril, Flagyl and Coccilyse at the same time?

Here's her picture, taken today. Isn't she beautiful? I've named her Firefly.
No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2355-r500

Teresa...I'm not familiar with Coccilyse ...is it a pill? What is the recommended treatment?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:14 am

Matilda wrote:

Teresa...I'm not familiar with Coccilyse ...is it a pill? What is the recommended treatment?

It's sulphadimethoxine, in solution form. The manufacturers, Moureau of Chantilly, recommend 20 drops per litre of drinking water, but I don't know how many days for. It'll be in the info that comes with the bottle, I expect. They say it's so gentle on the kidneys that birds can take it at any time, even molt and racing season.
Last time, the cocci med they sold me came in a sachet, but I think they're only using this supplier now.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:22 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Oh my Teresa, I can feel your rage about certain people. I really hope you can save beautiful little Firefly. She IS a beauty. But no matter how pretty a bird is, each and everyone of them is a soul... Circle of Love

I totally agree, and I would add that no matter how hostile a bird is, each and every one of them is a soul. That's too funny Dealing exclusively with ferals, I have no idea what it is like to have a pigeon coo at me, or being really friendly, but it doesn't matter! The peckier they are Major Rant , the safer they will be when released. pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:25 am

WOW!! Your little No rest for the wicked - Page 2 803589 wings are really getting a work out, Teresa.

I'm sorry to hear that a couple of the pijjies didn't make it. No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_cry

Firefly is stunning. Sending positive thoughts that all goes well with her.

Glad to read that the sting injury pij didn't have any lasting affects.
It almost looks like someone tied that string on the foot.

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 6049 for Teresa.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:27 am

Teresa wrote:

I have no idea what it is like to have a pigeon coo at me, or being really friendly, but it doesn't matter!
The peckier they are
Major Rant , the safer they will be when released. pigeon 1
That's exactly right!! No rest for the wicked - Page 2 226817
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
WOW!! Your little No rest for the wicked - Page 2 803589 wings are really getting a work out, Teresa.

I'm sorry to hear that a couple of the pijjies didn't make it. No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_cry

Firefly is stunning. Sending positive thoughts that all goes well with her.

Glad to read that the sting injury pij didn't have any lasting affects.
It almost looks like someone tied that string on the foot.

No rest for the wicked - Page 2 6049 for Teresa.

I hesitated to mention it, but yes, I think that's exactly what happened. There were knots that only a human could have tied.
Equally worrying were the two totally black pigeons whose strings I removed a few months ago. The strings were black, and clearly tied and knotted by someone. An African lady I know had told me last year that some pigeons were used in voodoo, tied with black string for some kind of binding spell, and that it was awfully bad luck to try to free them. I didn't believe her at the time, I mean, we're in Europe! But I've changed my mind after finding those two. As for bad luck, I don't really believe in it, but I said a prayer just in case...
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:09 pm

And here is Bluey (centre) on the roof, about an hour ago.
You can see he's still favouring his right foot, but when I threw food he forgot the foot and RAN after the seeds!
YESS!!
No rest for the wicked - Page 2 DSCNB2390-c-r600
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 2 of 36Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next