Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Teresa wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:

It almost looks like someone tied that string on the foot.

I hesitated to mention it, but yes, I think that's exactly what happened. There were knots that only a human could have tied.
No rest for the wicked - Page 3 5244 As if these poor birds don't have enough to endure without someone intentionally harming them. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 103255
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Teresa wrote:

And here is Bluey (centre) on the roof, about an hour ago.
You can see he's still favouring his right foot, but when I threw food he forgot the foot and RAN after the seeds!
YESS!!
That's cute. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 164371
I'm sure his foot will be a little sore for a while, but I think he'll do just fine. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Firefly has a good appetite! Look at this:

https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/?action=view&current=DSCNB2393.flv

Her more recent poops are looking better, too, better formed and a darker colour. Maybe it was part canker, part starvation. I'm gonna put the Coccidia treatment on hold and see how things go.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:02 pm

No rest for the wicked - Page 3 766985 She is really going after those seeds. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 7471
That's what we like to see. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:08 pm

That's great! Poor little girl.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 am

Teresa, this looks really good. I am so happy that Firefly is on the way getting better. But no wonder with all that love of a Pigeon angel

...and regarding those voodoo or whatever bitches - the curse will fall back on them twice YESS!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:22 pm

No new patients, thankfully.

Penny is continuing to improve but she still doesn't put any weight on her sore leg for more than a couple of seconds, even though the swelling has come down quite a bit. She still props herself up slightly with the wing, even when lying down. She flies really well and is impatient to be set free, so I really hope she will recover the ability to stand on both legs and walk.

Little Firefly is a lot worse, poor thing. Yesterday she had less interest in her food and didn't want to drink, and had to be kept warm all the time. I've been giving her hydrating solution and thawed corn dusted with a little formula, but she kept on getting weaker. Her poops turned bright green, mucous and very smelly. Her vent is fouled, and she keeps her eyes closed most of the time and has difficulty balancing.
Earlier on she was having some difficulty breathing, but a few minutes later she was breathing normally again. The signs aren't good, and I fear she may not last the night.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:25 pm

How much food are you actually getting down Firefly?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Not much more than 30 peas/corn per meal, that's why I added a bit of formula. She tires quickly when she's eating and then lifts her head to swallow -- that points towards crop canker, doesn't it? Her mouth and throat are clear, but her crop feels lumpy.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Yes...it does sound like canker. You can also try some applesauce for human babies.
Is she vomiting at all?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 pm

No, she hasn't vomited at all.
I just checked on her, and she's breathing with her beak half-open again. Perhaps it's all too much for her, such a nasty case of (probably more than one type of) Salmonella and canker too. And maybe something else.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 pm

I am so sorry to hear Firefly isn't doing too well, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_sad
Sending my best wishes to you both. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_wink
Please keep us posted.

I'm glad to hear Penny is improving. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 458406
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 5:48 am

Firefly is fighting back! Happy Dance

When I went to bed, at 5am, her breathing had stabilised, but she was still very poorly.
This morning I opened her cage fearing the worst, but found her standing up, fluffed up with cold, but aware. I 'microwaved' her beany pad and 20 minutes later we proceeded with breakfast. She was too weak to pick up corn, but she tried anyway. Tickled Pink
So I gave her 5ml tepid hydrating solution, followed by 20ml of soaked, mashed kitty biscuits (just a bit more diluted than baby food), then another 5ml hydrating solution.
Here are the pics:

3 am
No rest for the wicked - Page 3 DSCNB2694-r500

10 am
No rest for the wicked - Page 3 DSCNB2697-r500

11 am
No rest for the wicked - Page 3 DSCNB2699-r500

Oh I hope, I hope, I hope... Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 am

This one's for you, sweet Firefly. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Angel_10 Bless your heart!
Positive thoughts and a great BIG group hug is being sent your way, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_wink
No rest for the wicked - Page 3 6049
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

Poor little thing. ...Teresa do you have a heating pad?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 am

Matilda wrote:
Poor little thing. ...Teresa do you have a heating pad?

I've got an electric heating pad but I wouldn't trust it -- it 's meant to warm up your feet but it burned the soles of a pair of slippers before.
I use either a hot water bottle or one of those microavable bean bags you're meant to put over your shoulders and back. This is perfect because it heats up in 1 1/2 minutes and you can roll it out into a nest shape. I then put it in a plastic bag (so it doesn't get soiled) and wrap it in a towel or newspaper, then put 3 layers of soft kitchen tissue in the middle. (You can see the corner of it in the top picture). Downside is it only stays warm for about 3 or 4 hrs, and when I got up it was only luke warm, that's why she was fluffed-up. And that's why I last heated it at about 5 am and wrapped the top and sides of the cage in a blanket, so that by the time it cooled down the ambient temperature would be quite high.

She had a good meal at 3 pm, even ate 6 grains of corn by herself. She also had half her daily dose of Baytril and the Flagyl.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 am

Is the food moving through her ok?
You can administer the entire dose of Baytril once a day rather than spliting it in half. Baytril can't be administered that way with all birds but Bayer does recommend treating Pigeons with a full dose once a day. What a relief especially when the Pigeon needs injecable Baytril...I hate giving shots....not overly fond of receiving them either. :eek:
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:41 am

Teresa, mix honey with water and give her. She needs energy to fight disease and glucose, or honey are perfect source. I know that Firefly is on Baytril, but you can try also giving her activated charcoal (Carbo vegitabilis) it will neutralize toxins in her body caused by bacteria. Just it needs to be given at least two ours prior or post Baytril administration.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Matilda wrote:
Is the food moving through her ok?
You can administer the entire dose of Baytril once a day rather than spliting it in half. Baytril can't be administered that way with all birds but Bayer does recommend treating Pigeons with a full dose once a day. What a relief especially when the Pigeon needs injecable Baytril...I hate giving shots....not overly fond of receiving them either. :eek:

Yes, the food is moving through alright, but she has a small but hard lump in her crop. Maybe that makes her feel as though she's got some food in there, because it's a real struggle to make her eat and drink anywhere near enough. I'm worried about the danger of dehydration as she's got full-blown diarrhoea.
I'm going back to giving her the full dose of Baytril once a day. I had divided it because she always seemed worse after taking it, but maybe it was the stress and the effort.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:58 pm

plamenh wrote:
Teresa, mix honey with water and give her. She needs energy to fight disease and glucose, or honey are perfect source. I know that Firefly is on Baytril, but you can try also giving her activated charcoal (Carbo vegitabilis) it will neutralize toxins in her body caused by bacteria. Just it needs to be given at least two ours prior or post Baytril administration.

Thanks for suggesting the honey, it really is better than using sugar.

As for the activated charcoal, I can buy it over the counter as tablets. Could you please advise on how to administer it and how much?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Activated charcoal   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Depending of the size of the tablets, if big, cut them to size to swallow. 2~3 times a day is fine, you can't overdose. It is good inhibotor of toxins, that way speeds recovery.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 am

Teresa, I cannot give you any advice as I don't have the experience but I send all my good thoughts in your direction and hope very much that this little Firefly is getting healthy again. Somehow I have her in my heart - she is such a sweet one. Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 am

Thank you both! Thanks The patients are hanging on in there, but they don't make things easy for me or for them...
Penny is desperate to be free. I keep having to cover her cage to stop her hurling herself at the bars. The swelling on the knee has come down a lot, and I hope she doesn't injure her beak any further. (Shame you can't exercise pigeons on a leash to stop them headbutting things! Oh brother )
Firefly had moved right out of her warm nest by morning. I wondered for a moment if she felt warm enough and no longer needed it, but no, her feet felt really cold. Silly girl! But she's back on it now, and I keep checking up on her during the day.

Apple sauce for babies -- I got some and gave her a little, but I ended up wearing most of it... Is it just to be given as a meal or mixed up with something else?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 am

plamenh wrote:
Depending of the size of the tablets, if big, cut them to size to swallow. 2~3 times a day is fine, you can't overdose. It is good inhibotor of toxins, that way speeds recovery.

I've just got the charcoal, but it comes in 225mg capsules containing powdered charcoal. Do I mix a little of it with her food?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 am

We so appreciate the updates, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 458406 No rest for the wicked - Page 3 686336
Positive thoughts continue for Penny and Firefly. No rest for the wicked - Page 3 226817
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 3 of 36Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next