Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hello from Bangkok!

Go down 
+9
Teresa
rattyfied
Capuccino
Matilda
pigeonwriter
Cynthia
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Siam Sam
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, we just finished our rainy season, and everything was getting wet. The bags of seed we buy have expiration dates on them, the ones we have now saying they were produced in July and good for a year.

Meanwhile, not much on the pigeon front over here. Very little feeding now, as even when Henry is here, he gets overwhelmed by all the others most of the time. We manage to feed him when not too many are around; rare now when he can be here alone or just with Maggie, as the others seem to have learned he's the key to the food. We leave out water, and a few use the place as a daytime community center. One young one really likes sleeping in the flower box in the mornings. One or two take baths in the water dish. Big Eyes will chase any pigeon out of "his spot" in the tree pot we call the "living room" regardless of whether he himself wants to use it. But no one wants to stay here over night now.

Ladyboy was here alone yesterday, so I did feed him a little. After a while, Big Eyes showed up, so I relented and fed him a little, too. But the cutting back does seem to be thinning out the pigeon flock to a more manageable level most of the time.

The one named Som has left, but we don't suspect anything untoward. That one was only here briefly. I promise to do photos sometime in the near future.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 pm

As always, your updates are so appreciated, Sam. Smile
Any sign of Scruffy?

I'm glad Henry and Maggie are doing well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Not much new. Our balcony has become a pigeon community center, a bit reminiscent of the dog cafe in the Pooch Cafe comic strip. We'll feed Henry and a select couple of others, such as his son Ladyboy, if not too many are around. If there are, we'll close the curtains, and Henry knows that means no food, and he'll go away. But if he's really hungry, he'll jump in the window anyway -- we can hear him and see his little shadow -- so we'll try to put out a little.

Maggie has not been around for about two weeks, but she's disappeared for weeks on end before, and we're hoping it's just another case of that. I'm afraid Junior, Moe and Scruffy have probably all kicked the bucket somewhere. Everyone else appears healthy. And there are a few new ones around, including a dark one with glowing orange eyes. A small new gray who loves to soak in the water dish. One we call Brownie, due to a brown streak across an otherwise-normal gray body, has been having sex with a large gray in the designated sex area. How is it they all pick about the same spot on the floor? confused
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Sam, Hi there/Bye
It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the update.
I'm glad to hear all seems to be going well. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 142829

To Junior, Moe and Scruffy, wherever you are . . .
Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Angel_42
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 am

The long-promised photos. Just a few. I hadn't realized I'd been saving them on my camera for three months now! Some pidgees have come and gone in the interim.

Two pidgees. I believe that's Moe on the left and Joey asleep on the right. Both gone now.

Henry and Junior eating. That's on September 21. Junior seemed sick 22 days later and disappeared suddenly. RIP, Junior. :(

Ladyboy in the Living Room. This is on September 26, exactly two weeks after he first appeared. An obvious Henry offspring. Very smooth and elegant, we initially thought he was female and called him Sweetie. But he soon started exhibiting male behavior -- puffing out his neck and doing the Angry Dance at other pidgees. But very feminine-looking. So he's been Ladyboy ever since. Happy

Ladyboy on October 5.

Max on October 8. Beautifully marbled. He disappeared shortly after Junior did, as well as seeming a little ill himself, although much less so than Junior.

Ladyboy trying out the flower box.

Som on November 4. The word som is Thai for "orange," and you can see a small orange streak mid-wing. (No, that's not the dirty window.) She stayed around only a couple of days or so. We don't suspect anything untoward happened to her.

The elegant Ladyboy takes a meal, November 19.

And that's all the photos for now. Meanwhile, Henry comes to eat every day. He had something like an eight-day absence two months ago, and we feared the worst. but then he started showing up every day again. Maggie has been gone three weeks now, but she's disappeared before. This is about as long as she's been gone in the past, so we hope she shows back up soon. Ladyboy is a regular fixture, too. As is Big Eyes, a small gray male. One of the two Pretty Ones is still mourning the loss of his mate Scruffy but acts mean towards the others. Worse, one we call the Dark One is a complete and total bully, and we have to chase him away. In fact, to allow Henry eat in peace, we often have to stand guard while he eats, chasing away the Dark One, Evil Gray and that one Pretty One, because they'll try to bully Henry. And Henry seems to know we're helping him. While the others take flight, he stays. Still won't let us touch him, though.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 am

I so enjoyed the pictures, Sam. Thanks for sharing them with us. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 142829
They definitely all look like they are relation to Henry.
The picture of Henry and Junior look like twins.

Have Junior, Moe or Scruffy ever come back home? Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:39 am

I really enjoyed the photos, Siam Sam, Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 219375 and Ladyboy really is very handsome! His markings are similar to those of a beautiful feral I often see at the local park -- I called him Bling! Laughing I've been finding that most of the ferals with really striking colours and patterns are male.

I still hope that Junior, Moe and Scruffy are alright somewhere, but if not, may they be at peace in a beter place.

I have no idea why your pigeons have a designated sex area... Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 106767 ... but here's a suggestion: how about calling it The Moulin Rouge? It gives it a certain je ne sais quoi... Tickled Pink

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 am

Teresa wrote:
I really enjoyed the photos, Siam Sam, Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 219375 and Ladyboy really is very handsome! His markings are similar to those of a beautiful feral I often see at the local park -- I called him Bling! Laughing I've been finding that most of the ferals with really striking colours and patterns are male.

I still hope that Junior, Moe and Scruffy are alright somewhere, but if not, may they be at peace in a beter place.

I have no idea why your pigeons have a designated sex area... Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 106767
... but here's a suggestion: how about calling it The Moulin Rouge?
It gives it a certain je ne sais quoi... Tickled Pink

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 142829 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 46723
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Teresa wrote:
I have no idea why your pigeons have a designated sex area... Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 106767 ... but here's a suggestion: how about calling it The Moulin Rouge? It gives it a certain je ne sais quoi... Tickled Pink

Hehe. Laughing

No further sign of Junior, Scruffy or Max. (I think I said Moe in the past when I meant Max.) For Junior, it's been a full two months just about, and he seemed very sick when we last saw him. No further sign of Maggie, and it's been more than three weeks. Very sad
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 8:26 am

I will continue to send positive thoughts that Maggie is OK. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Me too! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 395766
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 pm

There's been a startling development over here. Ladyboy, whom we determined to be male following his angry dances and neck puffing, decidedly male characteristics, has started having sex with The Pretty One, the widower who lost his beloved Scruffy! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 279675 Ladyboy first showed up exactly three months ago this past Sunday, and we figure he/she is between four and five months old. Must just now becoming sexually active. But Ladyboy seems to be the one instigating the relationship, preening Pretty One's head and crouching down low as if to say: "Come and get it, big boy!" The wife was startled yesterday to see them kissing and then doing the deed -- in the designated sex area, of course. They must like it there because it's out in the open and no pots or water dishes nearby to get in the way. And I've noticed Ladyboy is staying close to Scruffy today (Tuesday) too. Could Ladyboy be a lady after all? Or is he really a ladyboy in true Thai style, and he's fooled The Pretty One?

Still no sign of Maggie. Been four weeks now. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm

It sounds to me as though Ladyboy is a girl. I noticed two of my females 'posture' like males sometimes, and Charis confirmed they can mimic the males very convincingly. You'll know for sure if you see any eggs! Tickled Pink

I'm sorry Maggie has been nowhere in sight... Disappointed I hope she's alright somewhere. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Woo Hoo! And Maggie's back. After four weeks. Just found her out there kissing Henry. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 116281 cheers That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Woo Hoo! And Maggie's back. After four weeks. Just found her out there kissing Henry. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 116281 cheers That's too funny

YESS!! I'm so glad Maggie's back.
That is the best news, Sam. Appreciate the update.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Thrilled Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 35455
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Wednesday morning, and Henry and Maggie are both out there eating right now. Henry's always more forceful about keeping other pidgies away too when he's with Maggie. When he's alone, he's sometimes a bit timid.

Maggie keeps disappearing for three or four weeks at a time. My theory is maybe she just stays on the nest full time once she lays eggs? Then when the squabs are grown, she leaves? But she'd have to eat sometime. Dunno.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Your theory about Maggie seems quite possible, Sam. Smile
Perhaps she has a 'semi' food source near her nest. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 106767
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Whatever the answer, they're inseparable again. Keep stopping by for food together and to "do the deed" in the designated sex area. And Maggie eats A LOT.

It's official too that Ladyboy and The Pretty One are an item. They seem inseparable themselves now. Sadly, that means Ladyboy is now off following her new hubby around most of the time instead of hanging out here. Fed them a couple of times this morning, though. I guess The Pretty One has gotten over Scruffy.

And here's a good article:

http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/british-wildlife/feral-pigeon-flying-rat-or-urban-hero
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 8:18 am

If Maggie was raising a couple babies, they are probably grown now since she and Henry are back together non-stop. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 983488

Thanks for sharing the article, Sam. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

The article is very interesting, Sam. It's funny that both you and Charis posted a link to it -- don't they say great minds think alike? Tickled Pink

Here's a thought about Maggie's absence: it could well be that Henry is feeding her. I've seen that with Piper and Hercules -- she spends most of the time on the nest, and then begs him for food. That way she doesn't have to get out to eat much.
Another possibility is that someone nearby is giving her food. A few years ago I had two couples nesting on the rain guttering of my annexe roof, clearly visible from my balcony window. With a bit of practice, I learned to throw moist bread to within a couple of centimetres of the nesting parent's beak... Happy They appreciated the extra food, and I gained a skill which makes me extremely dangerous when armed with an over-ripe tomato... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 8:15 am

Teresa wrote:
The article is very interesting, Sam. It's funny that both you and Charis posted a link to it -- don't they say great minds think alike? Tickled Pink

* Here's a thought about Maggie's absence: it could well be that Henry is feeding her. I've seen that with Piper and Hercules -- she spends most of the time on the nest, and then begs him for food. That way she doesn't have to get out to eat much.

Another possibility is that someone nearby is giving her food.

A few years ago I had two couples nesting on the rain guttering of my annexe roof, clearly visible from my balcony window.

** With a bit of practice, I learned to throw moist bread to within a couple of centimetres of the nesting parent's beak... Happy
They appreciated the extra food, and I gained a skill which makes me extremely dangerous when armed with an over-ripe tomato...
That's too funny

* That's very interesting, Teresa. Hadn't thought of that. Hmmm

** Way To Go

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 321758 LOL
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:31 am

Henry and Maggie are showing up regularly again several times a day to ask for food. Henry will jump up in the window, Maggie will stand and stare intently like she's trying to hypnotize us. She showed up alone early this morning and just stood and stared and stared until I fed her. Then they both came by several times later. And they're going at it like teenagers again. I suspect Maggie will be disappearing in a couple of weeks.

And we've even had a mynah bird or two checking us out. Very nervous guys. Can't get a photo without scaring them away.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 3:40 pm

It's great to know they're both coming over -- it's always such a pleasure to see old friends!

Mynah birds are cool! We don't get any around here. Apart from the pigeons, I get to see collared doves and magpies sometimes, and lots of sparrows and seagulls.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks for the update, Sam.
I'm glad that Henry and Maggie and doing so well. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 116281
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bangkok!
Page 16 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Balcony Pigeons-
Jump to: