Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hello from Bangkok!

Go down 
+9
Teresa
rattyfied
Capuccino
Matilda
pigeonwriter
Cynthia
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Siam Sam
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Henry and Maggie are showing up regularly again several times a day to ask for food. Henry will jump up in the window, Maggie will stand and stare intently like she's trying to hypnotize us. She showed up alone early this morning and just stood and stared and stared until I fed her.

they're probably telling each other how amazingly clever these humans are...you can just stare at them and they bring food
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattyfied/sets/
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 pm

rattyfied wrote:
Siam Sam wrote:
Henry and Maggie are showing up regularly again several times a day to ask for food. Henry will jump up in the window, Maggie will stand and stare intently like she's trying to hypnotize us. She showed up alone early this morning and just stood and stared and stared until I fed her.

they're probably telling each other how amazingly clever these humans are...you can just stare at them and they bring food

LOL Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 23878
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm

rattyfied wrote:
Siam Sam wrote:

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 46723
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Maggie has disappeared again, since late last week. We figure that means new eggs in their nest, wherever that is. And Henry is pigging out a lot more. Maybe Henry really is feeding Maggie while she's on the nest.

That would explain Henry's increased appetite. He's really demanding more food now. Usually if we close the curtains while he's out there, because there are too many other pigeons around and we don't want to feed everyone, he'll take the hint. These past few days, though, he's been standing out there, staring at the closed curtains and cooing for food. Sounds like a mating call, but he's clearly asking for food (he's done this before). And he'll jump up on the little ledge the sliding door runs on like he normally does when the curtain is open, only now he'll do it while the curtains are closed, and stay on there. We can see his little silhouette through the curtain. Once the other pigeons leave, then we'll feed him. Hungry little guy these days. I really think he must be feeding Maggie. I guess we'll see her again in three or four weeks.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 7:47 am

Hi Sam, Hi there/Bye
Appreciate you stopping by.

It does sound like Henry is storing up to feed two. Especially when he stays around after everyone else leaves, knowing he'll get fed again. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 142829
They truly are very crafty little ones. Smile

I hope all is going well with you and your wife.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm

It does look very likely! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 395766

Well, at least you won't be worrying so much about Maggie! Say hello to her when she's back! Happy
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks! And Happy Holidays to everyone here.

And no sooner had I written my previous post than Maggie appeared briefly. But she's definitely cut back. And there's a new one small one that looks suspiciously like Maggie. Just appeared today. Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Wishing you and your wife a very happy holiday as well, Sam.

Hi there/Bye to Maggie.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 pm

A very happy 2011 for you, your wife and your balcony friends! Star quality
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:41 pm

That one appearance by Maggie was the last we've seen of her. She must be on the nest with eggs again. And now we suspect that is indeed correct about Henry feeding her. He comes by in the mornings, eats A LOT, flies off, then returns, hops up onto the window ledge again and asks for more. He'll do this two or three times in the morning, then sometimes back in the afternoon.

But now there's a little Pigeon Mafia of bullies who try to attack Henry while he's eating. So now what we often end up doing is standing guard near Henry so he can eat. We have a small spray bottle with which to shoot a stream of water at the attacking bullies to scare them off and let Henry eat in peace. This is all becoming a bit surreal: A wild animal regularly comes by and formally asks for food, then eats it as we stand guard over him. And he won't even let us touch him!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 am

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 219375 Laughing

I can sympathise with that 100%! During the summer months, when it's difficult for the park pigeons to find clean water, I often take 10 litres of water from home and then stand guard, with the help of my dog, to make sure they can drink without being disturbed by rowdy kids! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 E256298-comeon

I also spray hostile intruders on/near my roof, but I use a 15 ml syrige for that -- the jet is pretty accurate at 10 metres! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Sam, Hi there/Bye
As many times as Henry comes by to eat, there maybe a couple babies he's also feeding. Hmmm

Like you and Teresa, I have stood guard many a times so a non-aggressor could eat without interruptions from the others.
Yep!! I also have a squirt bottle handy at all times. YESS!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Aha, we are all squirty-bottle terrors! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Maggie was here regularly again just a couple of weeks ago, so we think maybe she's laid eggs since then. Could be getting close to time to hatch.

There are two pidgees -- a gray and a "sammy," which we've named the pattern after the original Sammy from a couple of years ago -- that show up with Henry most times in the morning. These two, Henry chases. They look nothing like Henry or even Maggie -- Maggie is much darker than this gray -- but it's almost like they are Henry's squabs asking for food. Grown enough that there's no squealing.

Ladyboy keeps coming around with the Pretty One too. She seems to be exploring her sexuality, as they are constantly "doing it" in the designated sex area. But we don't think she's gone off and laid eggs yet. By our reckoning, she must be between five and six months old. Maybe too young for eggs? She sure has seemed to make the Pretty One get over his loss of Scruffy.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Teresa wrote:
Aha, we are all squirty-bottle terrors! That's too funny

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 395766 High 5
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 pm

That picture of Sammy is too cute. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Maggie has returned, pretty much on schedule. But the bad news is she seems a little sick. The past couple of days, she's just stayed on the rails and watched Henry eat. Doesn't want to eat anything herself. A little droopy-eyed too, like she's sleepy. Not as bad as Junior seemed afflicted, or Max, but definitely something going on. No chance to catch her so far, as she won't come down to the floor, and when I try to get close for a look, she'll fly away.

In case it's thrush, the wife stopped by a pharmacy and asked if there was anything for that, explaining what it was for, and they didn't know anything about that. Is there a generic medicine name we can ask for? There wouldn't, by any chance, be something we could just mix in with their water, would there? I guess for thrush that wouldn't do any good, but I thought I'd ask. We haven't seen her come down to drink water either anyway.

Henry himself is as fat and healthy as ever. He's definitely not affected. Eats like a pig, chases the pidgess away that he can. We still guard him against a couple of bullies he can't handle. If he's been feeding Maggie or otherwise intimate with her, seems like he should be affected too. Hope he stays okay!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 am

Hi Sam,

It's very hard to know what to recommend, because so many different illnesses can cause the symptoms you mentioned. Smell can be a good indicator, but it's no good if she won't let you get close enough. (For example, a fishy smell usually means canker, sour smell means yeast infection, and a sickly sweet smell can be Salmonella or a similar bacterial infection).
Any chance you could watch where she poops on the balcony and have a look at their appearance?

Sleepy eyes are often related to dehydration. Does she have diarrhoea? Watch out for a very curved back, with the tail feathers touching the ground -- that's a sign of abdominal pain and suggests an intestinal infection.
Missing feathers on the front of her neck or face are usually associated with canker. She may also have difficulty swallowing.

I use Flagyl for canker, Baytril, Bactrim or Synulox for bacterial infections, and Mycostatin for fungal/yeast infections. For Coccidia I've used Cocci Plus (water soluble), but tablets are better.

Here's a link to the Chevita site with a list of symptoms and what they represent:

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 am

Hi Sam. Hi there/Bye
It's great to hear from you.
I am so sorry to hear that Maggie is showing some sign of illness. Very sad
I'm glad Henry is doing well. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 142829
Keep an eye out on him though. Being Maggie's mate, it's possible he may come down with something as well.

Teresa has posted some good information. Thanks Teresa. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 142829
I hope you are able to catch Maggie and take a look.

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks! It's just after 6:30am Saturday morning here now, and the sun is coming up, so maybe Maggie will appear soon with Henry. We have not noticed a droopy appearance. Since she's been staying on the rails, we've not had a chance to see her poop lately. Will monitor.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:56 pm

There's some good information here, Sam about pigeon illness and treatment. I don't know if you have ventured out of this thread but there is a lot here to educate folks.

My guess is she has canker as an underlying problem. If you can find flagyl in liquid form, we can help you figure out a dose to put in the water. It wouldn't hurt to treat all the pigeons that frequent your balcony.
Stress, such as la shortage of food, mating weather change and such, can bring on a canker outbreak.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Thanks! It's just after 6:30am Saturday morning here now, and the sun is coming up, so maybe Maggie will appear soon with Henry. We have not noticed a droopy appearance. Since she's been staying on the rails, we've not had a chance to see her poop lately. Will monitor.

Thanks again.

Appreciate the update, Sam. Smile
I will be thinking good thoughts for Maggie.

In the event you are able to catch her, this is a good link to start with.
Basic Life Saving Steps
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks. No, I've not ventured very far from this thread or particular forum. I think I have heard of flagyl -- may even have taken it myself for intestinal trouble. Sounds familiar. I'll see if we can find some in liquid form, but if not, would it be good to crush up tablets and mix them with the water at an appropriate dosage?

Sunday morning now and no Maggie for 48 hours. Henry's still healthy and eating a lot. He may be feeding squabs. Maybe Maggie, too.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Thanks. No, I've not ventured very far from this thread or particular forum. I think I have heard of flagyl -- may even have taken it myself for intestinal trouble. Sounds familiar. I'll see if we can find some in liquid form, but if not, would it be good to crush up tablets and mix them with the water at an appropriate dosage?

Sunday morning now and no Maggie for 48 hours. Henry's still healthy and eating a lot. He may be feeding squabs. Maybe Maggie, too.

Yes, that would work. But you'd need to agitate the mixture before using it, because the med tends to settle at the bottom of the water.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:50 am

Appreciate the update, Sam. Hi there/Bye
I'm sorry to hear there has been no sign of Maggie. Very sad
Positive thoughts continue that she shows up. Fingers crossed

I'm glad Henry is still coming by and doing good. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 142829
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bangkok!
Page 17 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Balcony Pigeons-
Jump to: