Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hello from Bangkok!

Go down 
+9
Teresa
rattyfied
Capuccino
Matilda
pigeonwriter
Cynthia
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Siam Sam
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks. But still no Maggie. Monday morning and three days now. :(

We'll check into some flagyl. You don't need a doctor's prescription for antibiotics and such over here, and the wife is making a pharmacy run tomorrow anyway. I just measured the amount of water in the water dish. Looks to be about 22 ounces. It's actually a plastic container that we get with Korean take-out, and we save them up for use as water dishes and the like.

Henry remains healthy and happy. He obviously monitors us from afar. In some of my photos, you'll have noticed a large Chinese-Thai temple across from us, and on one recent morning I saw him barreling forth from there straight to here the moment I opened the curtain.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 am

Siam Sam wrote:
Thanks. But still no Maggie. Monday morning and three days now. :(

We'll check into some flagyl. You don't need a doctor's prescription for antibiotics and such over here, and the wife is making a pharmacy run tomorrow anyway. I just measured the amount of water in the water dish. Looks to be about 22 ounces. It's actually a plastic container that we get with Korean take-out, and we save them up for use as water dishes and the like.

Henry remains healthy and happy. He obviously monitors us from afar.

In some of my photos, you'll have noticed a large Chinese-Thai temple across from us, and on one recent morning I saw him barreling forth from there straight to here the moment I opened the curtain.

I am so sorry that there has been no sign of Maggie. Very sad

It sounds like Henry does have a 'birds eye view' of your place and knows exactly when to head over there. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 46723 I love it/them

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Okay, the wife just called and said she managed to buy some Flagyl. Pills, not liquid. 200mg each, and she bought 14 of them.

I remeasured the water amount in the dish more carefully. It's more like 24 ounces. Plastic, it's the same type as seen in some of the photos.

So, what would be a good dosage to mix in?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Sam...the pills don't mix well with water. They tend to clump up and settle at the bottom after just a very few minutes.
For any bird you can catch though that is sick, you can begin by giving the bird 1/4 of a tablet and each day after, 1/8 of a tablet for 4 more days. If after the 5th day the bird is still ill, you can continue for another 2 days.
I'm guessing that your feral pigeons are on the smaller side about 300g or so and it was that weight that I estimated the dosage.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Charis is right, Flagyl won't work in the drinking water as it would settle. Also, it tastes very bitter and the birds wouldn't drink it.
When you mentioned crushing the tablets in water I thought you meant to catch her and medicate her.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Ah, I see. Well, no worries. The pills were only two bucks total, and now we have them on hand if we need them. Meanwhile, we'll ask around for liquid metronidazole.

I'm afraid it may be too late for Maggie anyway. Five days now. But Henry's not looking bereaved. We have this sad mental vision of him continuously trying to feed her dead body somewhere. :(
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Siam Sam wrote:

I'm afraid it may be too late for Maggie anyway. Five days now. But Henry's not looking bereaved. We have this sad mental vision of him continuously trying to feed her dead body somewhere. :(

Sweet Maggie, wherever you are . . .
May an angel be with you. And if at all possible guide you home.

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Angel_30
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Thank you. Very sad

At least Henry's still healthy. He's eating a lot now, and I mean A LOT.

Just to be clear, if we do find liquid Flagyl, is that okay to mix in the general drinking water? Or will that also turn it sour?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:05 am

Siam Sam wrote:
Thank you. Very sad

At least Henry's still healthy. He's eating a lot now, and I mean A LOT.

Just to be clear, if we do find liquid Flagyl, is that okay to mix in the general drinking water? Or will that also turn it sour?

I'm so glad to hear Henry is still doing well. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 116281

I've never used Flagyl (either pill or liquid) so I have no idea if the liquid has the same bitter taste as the pill as Teresa mentioned.

I'm sure she, Charis or one of our other members who have used it will be along to help you with your question.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 am

Yes...if you find the liquid metronidazole, you can mix it in the water although to help you with a dose, we will need to know the concentration.
The liquid is great because you can use it for flock treatment or individual treatment.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks! We'll keep asking around.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 am

Please keep us posted on how things are going, Sam. Smile
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Thursday was Chinese New Year, but there have been firecrackers going off since Wednesday. The elaborate Chinese-Thai temple that our condo unit overlooks is a prime source, so that's been keeping the pidgees very much on edge, heh.

But the big news is one of Henry's new squabs has started coming over here. Just one. Wednesday was the first appearance but has stopped here briefly each day since (it's Friday now). There's no doubt it's his. A white underbelly, and on the wings and top is a marbled black-and-white pattern. Seems young and very awkward. Flies like a bat! Sort of veers around, still trying to get the hang of it. Always leaves before I can take his photo but will keep trying. Henry's still eating like a pig, so may be still feeding the nest. No sign of Maggie.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:34 am

I hope you are able to get a picture of the little one, Sam. I'd love to see him/her.

My heart continues to go out for Maggie. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

And we just saw what has to be the second squab. While the first one is so ugly it's cute, this one looks sleek and pretty, white with some black trim. Have to try and take some photos.

We also think Ladyboy has eggs somewhere. Now she and her mate the Pretty One are never here at the same time. She's here during the day, while he's early morning and late afternoon. Must be more squabs on the way, Henry's grandchildren.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Appreciate the update, Sam. Thanks
It seems like Henry has started quite a family line. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 am

Got some photos of that first squab, who we're convinced belongs to Henry and Maggie. He's been showing up fairly often these past few days. We've named him Phil, because he first appeared on Groundhog Day last Wednesday. All of these were taken yesterday (Sunday).

Phill and friend. That's him on the left. Unfortunately, the gray is not Maggie, who remains missing.

Frontal view. This one really shows he has Henry's belly.

Phil takes a drink. Funny how a lot of pidgees will climb onto the edge of the water dish like this, while others, like Henry, just drink while standing on the floor.

Bird's-eye view. This one really shows his intricate pattern. Reminds us a little of Max when he was still around.

Phil contemplates the world. He looks like a turkey in this one. He does have rather an odd-shaped head.

Three-quarter view. This one shows up his pattern some more.

All the other pigeons seem okay with Phil except for Henry. Henry will chase him away. We think Dad doesn't want his children following him over here. He chases Ladyboy the same way, but she's still become a regular. Phil may become one too, as he's been looking around and familiarizing himself with the place. Nibbles the plants a little. Has learned there's always water to be had.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 am

Phil is a beautiful pigeon. cheers
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Goofy Phil! He's going to be a regular. Still at the squealing stage when Dad chases him away. The second one we've only glimpsed a couple of times, doesn't seem very interested in us, but Phil keeps checking us out.

We've seen a couple other new ones this week. Darkish. Funny how they all make their way to here. Word spreads.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Goofy Phil! He's going to be a regular. Still at the squealing stage when Dad chases him away. The second one we've only glimpsed a couple of times, doesn't seem very interested in us, but Phil keeps checking us out.

We've seen a couple other new ones this week. Darkish.
Funny how they all make their way to here. Word spreads.

Many thanks for the photos, Sam. Smile
Phil is absolutely stunning. I love it/them Star quality

You're exactly right. Word spreads, and fast. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 46723
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Well, it's looking like Phil may actually be a Philipa! There's an aggressive gray male, possibly the one in the first two photos, that likes to chase other pidgees away when Henry's not here, but he lets Phil hang around. And then yesterday I surprised them in the act of preening each other. Hmmm. By our reckong, Phil must be less than two monts old. Is that old enough to start feeling frisky?

It's almost certain Ladyboy has eggs somewhere. She and her mate, the smaller Pretty One, keep very separate schedules for being over here and at the same times of day.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 9:41 pm

And now the one we assume is the second squab, Phil's sibling, has started hanging around for the first time today (Friday). Definitely the younger of the two. Very skittish. Not helped by all the other pidgees, including Dad, chasing it away. Looks very young and innocent and still has large "puppy" feet. Has that look of wonder at the world that the young ones always have.

The skittishness is making it difficult to take a photo. When I try to stop anyone from chasing it, it thinks I'm chasing it too, so that doesn't help either. So when I try to creep around with a camera, it also thinks I'm after it. I've taken one or two shots, but they're not good. This one is mostly white with a very light gray head -- the entire head is sort of covered with Henry's pattern on the top of his head -- and very subtle black and even brown streaks in the body that aren't showing up on the shots I took. They're very light. Another elegant-looking pidgee. Henry sires good-looking children. I'll try to take some better photos and post what I have soon.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Well, it's looking like Phil may actually be a Philipa! There's an aggressive gray male, possibly the one in the first two photos, that likes to chase other pidgees away when Henry's not here, but he lets Phil hang around. And then yesterday I surprised them in the act of preening each other. Hmmm. By our reckong, Phil must be less than two monts old. Is that old enough to start feeling frisky?It's almost certain Ladyboy has eggs somewhere. She and her mate, the smaller Pretty One, keep very separate schedules for being over here and at the same times of day.

Yes.. it's not uncommon for them to experiment.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
And now the one we assume is the second squab, Phil's sibling, has started hanging around for the first time today (Friday). Definitely the younger of the two. Very skittish. Not helped by all the other pidgees, including Dad, chasing it away. Looks very young and innocent and still has large "puppy" feet. Has that look of wonder at the world that the young ones always have.The skittishness is making it difficult to take a photo. When I try to stop anyone from chasing it, it thinks I'm chasing it too, so that doesn't help either. So when I try to creep around with a camera, it also thinks I'm after it. I've taken one or two shots, but they're not good. This one is mostly white with a very light gray head -- the entire head is sort of covered with Henry's pattern on the top of his head -- and very subtle black and even brown streaks in the body that aren't showing up on the shots I took. They're very light. Another elegant-looking pidgee. Henry sires good-looking children. I'll try to take some better photos and post what I have soon.

That's my favorite age. I like the way you described the way they are at that age.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Well, it's looking like Phil may actually be a Philipa! There's an aggressive gray male, possibly the one in the first two photos, that likes to chase other pidgees away when Henry's not here, but he lets Phil hang around.

* And then yesterday I surprised them in the act of preening each other.
Hmmm. By our reckong, Phil must be less than two monts old. Is that old enough to start feeling frisky?

** It's almost certain Ladyboy has eggs somewhere. She and her mate, the smaller Pretty One, keep very separate schedules for being over here and at the same times of day.

Appreciate the u pdate, Sam. Smile
* Better keep an eye on those two. Tickled Pink Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 142829

** I agree Sam. It does sound like a pattern for a pair that have eggs somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bangkok!
Page 18 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Balcony Pigeons-
Jump to: