Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Tame feral Stan

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:58 am

Tame feral Stan Image011 Tame feral Stan Image012
This is Stan, he has been around for some time, but lately he decided to adopt me. At first, he would show up whenever I go out in the garden to check if I don’t have by any chance something to eat.
Most of the time I would stick to the schedule, morning and evening feed, but his persistence would change my mind and sometime I would drop him some seeds to keep him happy, who knows, maybe there are some hungry chicks to feed.
Couple of days age, he started following me like puppy around. I go inside the house, and he sits at the doorway and waits. I work at my desk, and he lies on the window-sill and watches me. He is first in the morning to come and last to go at the evening.
Yesterday when I was giving them bread crumbs, he came with the new trick, first started chasing all other pigeons from me and when this become too much because of their number, he came closer to me and started eating crumbs that were falling between my fingers just under my hands.
This morning, he was so exited when I went out to feed them, that almost landed on my head. Later when I went to give some bread, just for test, I kept crumbs in my hand, so he started eating from there. He has competition though as two other birds came to eat from my hand too.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:13 am

Stan is quite the handsome pij. Tame feral Stan Icon_wink
Looks like you have a 'new found feathered friend'. Tame feral Stan 878776 Tame feral Stan 226817

Stan and the other bird in the first photo look like they have nearly the opposite feather markings. That's neat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 am

The other bird is Stan's mate to be! He is paying most attention to her.
There are no much red pigeons around and I wander what their babies will look.:)
(Her name is Valentina and Stan stand for Stalin – I used Russian names, guess why)
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 am

Their babies would be stunning, I'm sure. Tame feral Stan 458406
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 3:03 am

What a neat story, Plamenh Circle of Love
I am always amazed about the various morphs and patterns of pigeons. This is unique in the bird world and absolutely fascinating. Whenever I have the chance I try to catch specifically beautiful coloured pijjies with my camera.
Red ones are also very seldom here in Munich, I have realized...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 6:53 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
What a neat story, Plamenh Tame feral Stan 588547
I am always amazed about the various morphs and patterns of pigeons. This is unique in the bird world and absolutely fascinating.

* Whenever I have the chance I try to catch specifically beautiful coloured pijjies with my camera.

Red ones are also very seldom here in Munich, I have realized...
I do the same thing. Tame feral Stan Icon_biggrin

We have had quite a variety visit out backyard.
All the pictures I have taken have been from the backyard flock. I can only imagine what I'd see if I really ventured out.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am

What a sweet heart. he reminds me of my old love, Goliath. he used to follow my car when I left home and wait for me outside of my destination and follow me back again.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:28 am

That was very dirty trick and he played it well. Now I’m walking around with bread in my pockets and he is exploiting every opportunity to get some. I’ll have to restrict myself or he will be unable to fly soon.
Tame feral Stan 514260
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:06 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:

Stan and the other bird in the first photo look like they have nearly the opposite feather markings. That's neat.

And considering that love is in the air between them, is that proof that opposites attract? That's too funny

Lovely story and lovely pidge, Plamenh! Tame feral Stan 142829 Thank you for sharing it with us.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

I don't know how you all manage to keep up with all these threads so quickly.
I pop on and suddenly see one I've missed.

I love this story and am so envious of your set up as I don't get ferals around where I live, so don't have the opportunity to build up this sort of relationship.
He is a very handsome bird.

Janet
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Yes, it is really enjoyable when feral bird comes to you and shows trust. Or bird you heal and release returns back. Sick birds do not have choice, they are with me and I’m their only option. Healthy bird on the other hand has the choice to come or stay away.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 pm

plamenh wrote:
Yes, it is really enjoyable when feral bird comes to you and shows trust. Or bird you heal and release returns back. Sick birds do not have choice, they are with me and I’m their only option. Healthy bird on the other hand has the choice to come or stay away.

Exactly. My residents are very wary of me when I go in to them.

I have one white grey Grizzle that lives wild with a flock I look out for at some local shops. He has always been the first to appear at the window of their 'home' when he hears the sound of seed falling on the roof where I feed them.
A short while ago he got string caught around both legs and couldn't walk properly. It was the fact he was tamer than the others, (and greedier), that I eventually managed to trap him by luring him under a box trap on the roof, and was able to free him.
Unfortunately that made him wary of me and it was a while before he would come down to feed.
I was so pleased the other day when I threw some seed up as usual, and although he wasn't 'at home', he must have been aware I was there and suddenly he came flying across the car park, did a circle over my head, and came down to eat.
I think he's forgiven me and beginning to trust me again.
As you say, they have to be free to decide.

Janet
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 pm

That what I like in pigeons, their easy going nature. My rabbit Toppy will make long faces on me for days if I offend her.
I have one feral who enters the coop the moment I open the door. He flies over my head and goes in. He feeds while I’m changing dishes and goes out. This is twice daily program, mornings and afternoons. So, today I noticed that his poop is bit runny and foamy as with Coccidiosis. I decided to give him a pill. This involves chasing and catching. After procedure, we where both panting and he looked very offended. Went out and I decided that our friendship is over. No such a thing, he was back again in the afternoon all my sins forgiven. Wink
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

plamenh wrote:
That what I like in pigeons, their easy going nature. My rabbit Toppy will make long faces on me for days if I offend her.
I have one feral who enters the coop the moment I open the door. He flies over my head and goes in. He feeds while I’m changing dishes and goes out. This is twice daily program, mornings and afternoons. So, today I noticed that his poop is bit runny and foamy as with Coccidiosis. I decided to give him a pill. This involves chasing and catching.

After procedure, we where both panting and he looked very offended. Went out and I decided that our friendship is over. No such a thing, he was back again in the afternoon all my sins forgiven

I love that. Tame feral Stan 334215
I definitely hear ya about the panting after a go round trying to catch a pij Tame feral Stan 16862 that needs to be caught, but they don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Great stories, Janet and Plamenh! High 5
It is frustrating to be the villain of the piece (in the bird's estimation) in order to care for them, so nothing feels better than the kind of redemption you experience when they let bygones be bygones and approach you again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tame feral Stan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tame feral Stan   Tame feral Stan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tame feral Stan
Page 1 of 1