Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)

Go down 
+5
AZWhitefeather
jamy
Naunnie
pigeonwriter
plamenh
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Usually symptoms that I associate with PMV I would divide on symptoms during the illness and these after illness.
When bird is sick, usually starts with sneezing.
Bird's voice changes and sometime disappears untill bird starts recovering.
Water consumption is increased.
Appetite decreases.
Feathers are ruffled.
Body temperature is bit higher and breathing rate increased (I don’t know is these due neurological reasons).
Liver and kidney are slightly enlarged (sometime significantly)
Thin broken faecal material in the pool of water, no urates visible. Usually they are light green or yellowish in color.
Bird may show nervous signs – eye twitching, head jerking, neck twisting, loosing balance and coordination. Bird cannot feed because coordination of tongue is affected too. Sight and hearing is affected and bright light irritates bird, sudden noises too. Walking in the circles and stargazing are also characteristic signs.
Sometime there is leg/wing paralysis without swelling I would say CNS cause for that.
Feathers are affected too. Dull coloring. Forming of fluffy end on top of the feather is typical for younger birds or during the moult. Incomplete feather growth and deformed follicles may result twisted feathers and in general untidy – ruffled look. Sometime end of feather are white/lack of color at all.

Once bird recovers symptoms that remain are:
Poop in the time of stress reappears as during the illness.
Neurological signs to any extent.
Water intake increases but I think is due to dehydration.
Irritation of bright light usually remains
I would guess that kidney and liver are also damaged for life as most of the birds tire easily.

Last edited by plamenh on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Tell me this...in your experience, what percentage of the time do they display NS?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Can not tell that precisely.
Some of the birds do not show NS at all.
Some very slightly and some really heavy.
Some of the birds recover completely.
Some show from time to time and some of them need feeding for life or some supportive care.
What I noticed though is that if you catch bird in early stages of illness and provide supportive care and vitamins, NS do not affect bird badly.
If bird is showing heavy NS after recovery, by keeping it in quiet place and mating her/him with healthy bird (no NS) helps their recovery.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Great information, plamenh. I think this thread should be a sticky. Way To Go Once i figure out how to do that, I will. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 142829
By the way, I sent you an email.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm

I did replied to it.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Saw it.
Thank You
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Thank you for all the information about PMV, Plamenh, it's an excellent reference.

One question: Do all birds with PMV show the typical 'broken spaghetti soup' poops at some stage of the illness, or is it absent in some?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 12:41 am

All of them show this symptom. Some of the other symptoms may be missing, but broken faeces in the pool of water is allways there.
Keep in mind that bird who had PMV in the past will show this symptom when stressed. This means that bird recovered from PMV may be having some other health issue and broken faeces are there but she does not suffer from PMV at this moment.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Image117 Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Image118
Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Image119 Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Pmvbir10
How can PMV afect feathering and watery poop
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 pm

plamenh wrote:
All of them show this symptom. Some of the other symptoms may be missing, but broken faeces in the pool of water is allways there.
Keep in mind that bird who had PMV in the past will show this symptom when stressed. This means that bird recovered from PMV may be having some other health issue and broken faeces are there but she does not suffer from PMV at this moment.

What can broken feces in a pool of water be an indicqtion of besides PMV?
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Quote :

The hard worm shaped faeces are a sign of constipation. PMV damages the kidneys, which is why the hard dropping lies in a pool of urine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Cynthia wrote:
Quote :

The hard worm shaped faeces are a sign of constipation. PMV damages the kidneys, which is why the hard dropping lies in a pool of urine.

So...it's an indication of kidney problems that may be associated with PMV?
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes, but it isn't always permanent damage.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Cynthia wrote:
Yes, but it isn't always permanent damage.

and only time will tell if the damage is permanent...right?
What other illness can cause kidney damage?
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Quote :

Most serious illnesses can cause kidney damage, so can various forms of poisoning.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Cynthia wrote:
Quote :

Most serious illnesses can cause kidney damage, so can various forms of poisoning.

Thank you. I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this to make sense of it all....what's PMV...when similar symptoms can be something else, etc.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 4:41 pm

There is and saying: One swallow doesn't make a spring. Smile
I would never, ever rely on only one symptom when diagnosing a bird.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 5:11 pm

The whole clinical picture has to be taken into account with any diagnosis.

One time I didn't suspect PMV despite the symptoms was when John found Noelly on his balcony and brought her up. She had three symptoms. She wouldn't fly, she drank enormous quantities of water and passed enormous quantities of pea green liquid.

I tested the liquid for glucose and it was elevated, so I suspected diabetes and took her to my vet. He is a man that I trust, admire and respect for his honesty, he never pretends to know more than he does. So he left the room to "check his book" and when he returned told me that it could be diabetes, but that was unlikely as it was rare. The other possible causes were coccidiosis or PMV. He would test the poops for cocci and would contact me if there was an overburden but he thought the likelihood was PMV. Three days later I noticed that Noelly was pecking at the peanuts that I gave her but missing. The next day she was stargazing in a way that I have come to associate with pigeons that are in the early days of PMV...standing up straight and normal but with her head upside down. Other typical symptoms followed....
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:29 pm

plamenh wrote:
There is and saying: One swallow doesn't make a spring. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 458406
I would never, ever rely on only one symptom when diagnosing a bird.

I like this saying. It's really lovely. I want to be sure all options are taken into concideration.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Cynthia...very valuable information...discussion which has given me inspiration for a new thread that I believe would be benificial to all of us Crazy Pigeon People. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 52853
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 am

Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Senega10
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 am

Love the picture, Plamenh. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 142829
I'm going to assume this is one of the doves from the pictures in your original post. Yes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 9:40 am

Yes it is, just took this picture for everyone to see Senegal dove bit better. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 9:44 am

Such a transformation. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 526287
Thank you so much for posting the updated photo. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 458406
We really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Oh my goodness plamenh, that doesn't look like the same bird. TYou must be thrilled with the transformation. Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)   Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Senegal doves (PMV Paramixo Virus discussion)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next