Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel

Go down 
+4
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
ysplace
Teresa
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Great thinking, Rosa! Great job

Balsa is a lucky pidge to have such a dedicated Pigeon angel looking after him, in spite of the difficult circumstances of not having him in your house etc!

Sour crop is most often caused by an obstruction, and most obstructions in pigeons are caused by canker, or occasionally by worms. If you haven't seen any in his poops, then it's most likely canker, especially because canker causes that type of watery poops and worms normally don't. So Flagyl should lead to a rapid improvement.

It's important to check that he's emptying his crop normally and the poops correspond to almost as much volume as the food he's eaten. If that doesn't happen or he starts vomiting, phone me any time of day or night, or even get a lift from someone and get him over here!
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Great job Thanks, Teresa!
Yes, one thing is for sure: I'm trying my best to do everything that I can, and hopefully Balsa will get better soon, thanks to all the help I'm receiving from all the unstopabble Pigeon Angels, like you! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Pigeon angel Universal hug Circle of Love

He's not at my home, but I pass here most of the time, as you know Laughing so, even though I can't go there everytime I want, I'm happy to be able to pass several hours with Balsa per day, and even to check him at different parts of the day (and sometimes during the night, if it really has to be, I also avoid to disturb him after it gets dark.... Wink )

Yes, I've been reading about sour crop as well, and I already read that in several pages, and the truth is that he had canker when I rescued him, but thank God he doesn't suffer from worms, at least I never saw one, and I clean his room many times a day.

By the way, today I started the treatment with Flagyl, I still have a couple of doses, that I separated before, when I gave it to him a few months ago, and I will buy more tomorrow, when I buy Baytril 15mg as well.

I want to ask you something: should I do a 11 day treatment both with Flagyl and Baytril as I did last time, or should I change the duration of it?

Concerning his crop, I guess it's emptying normally, as his poops seem to correspond almost to the same volume as the food he's ingesting, for example, today they were more volumous than yesterday, and I saw him eating more as well.

Thank You a lot for all the attention, love, care and the availability that you ALWAYS showed to me and Balsa, there is nothing that could ever pay that. Really, Thanks a lot! Jumpin for joy # 1 Universal hug Star quality YOU rock

I will try not to abuse and knock on your door! LOL ROTFL Just kidding, thanks a lot for everything, once more, and I will accept your kindness and call you if anything scary and unusual happens, but God willing it won't be necessary! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the update, Rosa, it sounds really good! Great job Feeling great

I would go for a 7-day course of Flagyl+Baytril, and see what progress he makes. We should see a difference after 3 or 4 days, and that will let us know how best to procede.

Rosa wrote:
I will try not to abuse and knock on your door!
Oh, that's a shame!! Why not? I promise I wouldn't let Hercules out of his cage!! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Sending positive thoughts and get well wishes to Balsa, Rosa. Circle of Love
Bless you both. Universal hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 pm

All sorted! The meds will be there in a few hours' time! Great job Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am

Teresa wrote:

YESS!! Great job
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 am

Teresa wrote:
Thanks for the update, Rosa, it sounds really good! Great job Feeling great

I would go for a 7-day course of Flagyl+Baytril, and see what progress he makes. We should see a difference after 3 or 4 days, and that will let us know how best to procede.

Rosa wrote:
I will try not to abuse and knock on your door!
Oh, that's a shame!! Why not? I promise I wouldn't let Hercules out of his cage!! That's too funny

Ok, Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 373410 ! Balsa started Flagyl treatment the day before yesterday, and he is already in Baytril too since yesterday! I was finally able to get Baytril and administrated it yesterday's afternoon. Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled I also bought another Flagyl box, because I had only 2 more doses left.

I'm sorry I didn't made an update on this yesterday, but to tell you the truth I turned on the PC at night, but then I had to go out suddenly, and I only came back now... Wink

He is breathing with a his beak closed now, but he started doing it the day before yesterday, even before he started the Flagyl treatment, he got a little better by himself, but now, with the help of the medicines, I hope he gets even better soon. Happy Dance

He has been eating more, and the poops are bigger and more numerous again, even tough they are still watery, so I will follow your advice and finish the 7 day treatment, and then we'll do an evaluation to see how we should procede.

Another thing: I was noticing that there were some small parts of his cere had disappeared Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 279675 and the skin there was kinda pink, like if it was hurt, and I was unsure about what may be causing it, but yesterday I finally found out: it happens that Mr. Balsa scratches is nose when the nasal discharge (that, by the way, is not so frequent now Woo hoo ) comes down his beek! :( I've been spending many time at home, so I go check him very frequently, and everytime I see his nose wet I clean it with kitchen towel, so it hasn't accumulated anymore. Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829

I will take a few pics with my mobile phone this afternoon and post them here later.
You think I can apply a bit of Bacitracine in his cere, being careful, of course, not to hit his nostril?

Eeheh You won't release Hercules??
Shock Ok, then I might consider visiting you, because you know... that boy is way too dangerous! ROTFL Aahahahah Just kidding, for what I've seen, he's such a sweetheart, I would happily receive some bitings, just to have the pleasure to meet the most "expensive" pigeon in Figueira da Foz! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829 I will let you know anytime I pass near there, and I would be very happy to know you in person, take a tea with you and have a nice chit chat about our adventurers! Hip Hip Hooray
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am

AZWhitefeather wrote:
Sending positive thoughts and get well wishes to Balsa, Rosa. Circle of Love
Bless you both. Universal hug

Thanks a lot, dear friend! cheers Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829 Universal hug Pigeon angel Thank You Celebrate It feels good to receive your warm wishes. Feeling great Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766

Bless you too, and your angels! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 35455 T Thanks for caring and for always being there for Balsa, he sends you his love as well! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 983488 Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 23878
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 am

Teresa wrote:

Ok, my dear Teresa, thank you so much! Happy Dance Circle of Love Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 714583 YESS!! As I told you on my last email, there was no need to send me Baytril or Flagyl, as I was going to buy both on the next day, but if you sent any (I know that you are such a sweetheart and you never left anything missing for Balsa Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Tickled Pink Wink Pigeon angel Universal hug ), don't worry, I will send them back to you on the next package that I send you. Wink

I am going to my home again in just a few minutes, and I'll let you when I receive your package. I think you must have received mine yesterday, right? Anyway, I'll send you an email in a couple of hours, and I'll come here to Pigeon Angels again later, to an update about Balsa. Hi there/Bye

Last edited by Rosa on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There were editing errors)
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Ok, Teresa, I already got your package, Thanks a lot! Celebrate Universal hug Pigeon angel
I only read your email now, seems like we've been both away from Hotmail. eheh That's too funny I turned on the PC today, but I only came here to update this topic, and then I had to turn it off, because I had some stuff to do , and I only came back now... I already answered you as well, we'll keep in touch about all the matters. Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766

Anyway, I didn't took the pic today (just to show Balsa's cere), but I will take it tomorrow for sure and upload it here. It's already getting better, actually, maybe due to the fact that he may not be scratching it anymore, or at least that much (I never caught him again Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 44767 )
I didn't applied anything as well.

By the way, I was about to ask you this for a while, but I keep on forgetting: don't you think it's kinda strange, the way Balsa's cere is prolongated to the sides as well? Hmmm It's just that I've already seen many pigeons and I've never seen it like this, but maybe I've been a bit distracted, it happens to me a lot Laughing What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Rosa! cheers

Glad you got the package! Don't worry about sending any of the surplus meds back, I included them just in case there might be any delay in obtaining them there, and the sell-by date is a long way off!

It's great to know that Balsa is getting better! Way To Go Let's wait and see if the Baytril clears up his discharges completely! If it is Ornithosis he has, and it sounds like it, be careful of catching it as well -- that is the one pigeon disease that is contagious to humans, causing the symptoms of a cold or mild flu. So no kissing him at the moment Laughing nor touching your face after handling him.

Ceres often get discoloured when birds are unwell. If he's scratching them, that will explain it, but it can also happen after prolonged treatment with antibiotics, or when they need a vitamin boost.
I had noticed the extensions to the ceres in earlier photos. Had a close look, to see if it was pox, but clearly not. I've seen them on a small number of pigeons, and I think in ferals they're traits inherited from a pedigree ancestor. You may have to start calling him Sir Balsão de Portugal... Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 321758

I'd love to see you if/when you come over to Figueira! I'm sure you'd have a laugh meeting my zoo! And, who knows, maybe even Hercules The Terrible would take a shine to you!
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Teresa,

Ok, considering that, I'll thank you again Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Happy Thank You circling and start using the medicines you sent me first, because the ones I bought will last for the next couple of years. Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829

About Balsa's condition, I'm also almost sure that he has Ornithosis, because even tough his eyes are not discharging, I noticed that sometimes they get watery, but then they dry again, and I don't think it's caused because of the sun that comes inside, directly to his feathers. Feeling great Sometimes he opens his beak a bit, other times he keeps it shut, and still does some noise breathing, and the crop still moves a bit, up and down... Serious EEK!!

Anyway, I'm continuing with the Baytril and Flagyl treatments, and today I started also with the Mycostatin you sent me. YESS!! I administrated it 2 times today, but it was a true struggle, as Balsa kept running away from me during the whole procedure! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Major Rant Oh no Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 193770 ROTFL LOL He is one proud pige that doesn't like to be handled, unless of course, I approach to fondle him... Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 789920 I love it/them
By the way, for what I measured by eye, the quantity of Mycostatin you sent me will do perfectly for the whole treatment of 5 days, don't worry and thanks a lot! I just have to be extra careful and not waste it Sorry Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Happy , I think there is enough for about 6 days... Wink

About the Ornithosis, yeah, I've already researched a bit about it, and I'm aware of the consequences, but thanks for warning, and for the tips and concern! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829 Even tough it's difficult, I quit kissing him a few days ago, and I've been extra careful when I handle him these days, avoiding touching the face, always washing my hands after being with him (I already did that before as well), etc.

I know Ornithosis is one of the only diseases in pigeons that are actually contagious to humans, so I've been trying not to catch it as well. If I start having those kind of symptoms, I'll go and see a doctor, but I'm not afraid to catch it, and I would never leave Balsa. Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 983488 Anyway, God willing, he will be treated soon.

I've also read that the birds that recover from Ornithosis will carry the virus for the rest of their lives, and that another crisis could be provoked by, for example, much stress. You think he already had it, and it became active again due to the stress I mentioned before? (The tremendous noise of the Lisbon celebrations the other week)

By the way, of course I want to keep Balsa "for myself" forever Sorry I love it/them lool, but, if he ever recovers to the point that he can be released, I'm willing to give him back his freedom... You think that he may be dangerous to other ferals, if I set him free, I mean, because of Ornithosis? Very sad
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Teresa wrote:

Ceres often get discoloured when birds are unwell. If he's scratching them, that will explain it, but it can also happen after prolonged treatment with antibiotics, or when they need a vitamin boost.
I had noticed the extensions to the ceres in earlier photos. Had a close look, to see if it was pox, but clearly not. I've seen them on a small number of pigeons, and I think in ferals they're traits inherited from a pedigree ancestor. You may have to start calling him Sir Balsão de Portugal... Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 321758

I'd love to see you if/when you come over to Figueira! I'm sure you'd have a laugh meeting my zoo! And, who knows, maybe even Hercules The Terrible would take a shine to you!

Thanks for the info about the ceres, Teresa! Wink I didn't applied anything, and I guess it's a bit more "soft" now. Wink Actually, I took a couple of pictures to show you, but they were not clear, I'll take some again tomorrow, and post them here. Wink

About the extensions of the ceres, I was really curious about it, because I already found it strange at the beggining and also tried to make sure that it was nothing strange, and when I took a good look at it, I understood that it was the same type of skin of the ceres. Laughing I tried to make a research on Google about ceres, but I couldn't find anything relevant... Having a bad day Then I started browsing pigeon pictures randomly, and I only found ONE pigeon with similar features! nutter Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 284997 So, I tought about asking.... Wink

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that Balsão had a pedigree ancestor! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 106767 Laughing Eheh I'll try to be more careful when I handle him now, we don't want him to tell his royal ancestors that I'm making him drink some strange liquid two times a day! That's too funny

By the way, I'd just LOVE Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 983488 to meet your Zoo, someday! cheers Star quality Circle of Love It will be a true pleasure, I feel very happy around animals, and I'm sure you do as well! Happy Dance I'll let you know as soon as I got the chance, and thanks a lot for your invite! Universal hug Great job Feeling great I'll try to stay away from Hercules Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 but I'm not sure if I'll resist that handsome heroe's charm! I love it/them Wink
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:57 pm

LOL LOL LOL

Rosa, you always make my day with your exhuberance! Star quality Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am

Teresa wrote:
LOL LOL LOL

Rosa, you always make my day with your exhuberance! Star quality Circle of Love

Ohh... Sorry Embarassed Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 106767 Happy
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 pm

No need for Embarassed , just cheers Feeling great ! Great job Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:48 pm

I love your posts, Rosa. They are so full of enthusiasm. I love it/them Thrilled Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 am

Teresa wrote:
No need for Embarassed , just cheers Feeling great ! Great job Laughing

Eheh Thank you Teresa! Happy Universal hug cheers Feeling great Laughing Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 am

I just realised I had missed reading one of your posts here... Oh no ... but I have good news for you:

Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 373410 Ornithosis is not caused by a virus, but by bacteria, Chlamydophila psittaci. That's why it can be treated with antibiotics, and when it's gone, it's gone -- birds do not become carriers!
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 am

AZWhitefeather wrote:
I love your posts, Rosa. They are so full of enthusiasm. I love it/them Thrilled Happy Dance

Thanks! Wink Feeling great Laughing You know what? It's Balsa's inspiration... Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Happy flower Thank You Circle of Love Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 7:02 am

Teresa wrote:
I just realised I had missed reading one of your posts here... Oh no ... but I have good news for you:

Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 373410 Ornithosis is not caused by a virus, but by bacteria, Chlamydophila psittaci. That's why it can be treated with antibiotics, and when it's gone, it's gone -- birds do not become carriers!

It's ok Teresa, thanks a lot for the info! cheers Anyway, I was asking because I was not sure, as during my research I found contraditory info: some say it will be caried for life, others say it doesn't.

Anyway, I have been away for many days, because me and my boyfriend caught a baby martin bird ( Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 106767 Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Wink ) on Friday, and I've been very busy, taking care of the zoo! eheh Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829 I already sent you a mail, about everything and also about Balsa's condition, so that we may see if I should keep him in the medications or not, but I will come back here in a few hours, to do an update to all the other Pigeon Angels about Balsa.

By the way, he is better, thank God! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 cheers Thrilled Celebrate Happy Dance

Talk to you all soon, I'll leave you with a big hug, and thanks a lot. Wink Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Rosa wrote:
Teresa wrote:

It's ok Teresa, thanks a lot for the info! cheers Anyway, I was asking because I was not sure, as during my research I found contraditory info: some say it will be caried for life, others say it doesn't.

Anyway, I have been away for many days, because me and my boyfriend caught a baby martin bird ( Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 106767 Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 Wink ) on Friday, and I've been very busy, taking care of the zoo! eheh Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 142829 I already sent you a mail, about everything and also about Balsa's condition, so that we may see if I should keep him in the medications or not, but I will come back here in a few hours, to do an update to all the other Pigeon Angels about Balsa.

By the way, he is better, thank God! Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 395766 cheers Thrilled Celebrate Happy Dance

Talk to you all soon, I'll leave you with a big hug, and thanks a lot. Wink Universal hug

Oh my goodness!!!
I've only ever rescued one before. He'd somehow hit an obstacle and fell in my mother's patio.
Not knowing what to do I searched the net for information and was depressed to read that they can only eat while they fly, so they can't be kept captive, apparently. The advice was to give him electrolytes to rehydrate him and boost up his energy, and release him as soon as he was strong enough to fly.

Hydrating solution recipe: 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 litre of water.

Please keep us posted! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel   Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balsa meets a Pigeon Angel
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3