Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?

Go down 
+12
Jackie\'s Mom
rattyfied
Jenaka
Luna Wolf
Cynthia
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
jamy
pigeonwriter
Effa
plamenh
Teresa
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Teresa wrote:
Lol, Cindy! ROTFL
I'll need the scooter, a spare pair of arms, two pairs of falconer's gloves, full body armour and a biker's helmet, (Now that would be a sight to behold! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 ) as every time he goes to the vet's he comes back more aggressive. Today was no exception! :eek:

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

Teresa, it is wonderful that Hercules is recovering so well.
Once you are finished with him, maybe you could start rescuing less dangerous critters like lions, tigers, bears... LOL
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 am

plamenh wrote:
Once you are finished with him, maybe you could start rescuing less dangerous critters like lions, tigers, bears... LOL

I love it/them Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758

Brilliant update, it just keeps getting better for Hercules. Right on

Janet
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 am

plamenh wrote:

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758
You can say that again! See for yourself:
https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Hercules/?action=view&current=DSCNB4064.flv
Back to top Go down
AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 am

Excellent :) Jumpin for joy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Yep! I'd say Hercules is feeling much better. Happy Dance

Has he tested his leg yet by putting a little pressure on it?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:10 pm

He's not putting any weight on that leg at all. He doesn't even usually try to hold it close to the vertical.

It is worrying, and I've wondered if the prolonged treatment and immobilisation could have made his leg go 'splayed'. But I believe Jay said that splayed legs have to be corrected when pigeons are very young, or there's no hope. So hopefully, an adult's leg shouldn't be permanently affected by being held at an unnatural angle for a long time. I've seen him move the toes a little, so he should feel them.

The vet said I should start giving him physiotherapy, and I massage his leg every day, but I can't bring myself to manipulate the joints, as to my untrained eye the pin that's still in his leg seemed to reach the joints at both ends, and well, it doesn't bear thinking about the consequences! Not feeling well

I shot a video of him hopping about the floor:

https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Hercules/?action=view&current=DSCNB4298.flv
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:19 pm

On a lighter note, he had a bath and thoroughly enjoyed it.

At first, while I was supporting him, he wanted nothing to do with it, so I let go and quickly moved to the corner of the room. In a few seconds he was investigating the water, and then proceeded to splash about and have fun.
He was able to get out quite easily, with just a couple of beats of his strong wings.
Here he is looking like a punk eagle:

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 DSCNB4305-cr550

I'd left his basket on the floor, close to the radiator, and true enough his independentness trotted right in and put himself to bed when he was good and ready! Laughing

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 DSCNB4311-r550
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 12:13 am

Teresa wrote:
He's not putting any weight on that leg at all. He doesn't even usually try to hold it close to the vertical.

It is worrying, and I've wondered if the prolonged treatment and immobilisation could have made his leg go 'splayed'. But I believe Jay said that splayed legs have to be corrected when pigeons are very young, or there's no hope. So hopefully, an adult's leg shouldn't be permanently affected by being held at an unnatural angle for a long time. I've seen him move the toes a little, so he should feel them.

The vet said I should start giving him physiotherapy, and I massage his leg every day, but I can't bring myself to manipulate the joints, as to my untrained eye the pin that's still in his leg seemed to reach the joints at both ends, and well, it doesn't bear thinking about the consequences! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_pale

I shot a video of him hopping about the floor:

[url=https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Hercules/?action=view¤t=DSCNB4298.flv
https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Hercules/?action=view¤t=DSCNB4298.flv[/quote[/url]]

That would make me nervous/scared as well. Would the vet show you what he wants you to do? Maybe that would make you feel more confident.
He's a trooper...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:26 am

I do know in humans, if a limb is immobile for a good amount of time it can (and usually does) atrophy to some extent. The physiotherapy may well help stimulate the muscle.
I also agree with you about being apprehensive. As Charis mentioned, perhaps the vet can instruct you as to exactly how to do this.

Bless you both. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes, I need to have a word with the surgeon. The recommendation for physio came from the avian vet.
Hercules can move the leg, and at least three toes of that leg, but he makes no attempt to bend it at the joints. Knowing what a daredevil he is, if it was doable he'd do it, so I'd rather err on the side of caution for now.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Teresa wrote:
Yes, I need to have a word with the surgeon. The recommendation for physio came from the avian vet.
Hercules can move the leg, and at least three toes of that leg, but he makes no attempt to bend it at the joints. Knowing what a daredevil he is, if it was doable he'd do it, so I'd rather err on the side of caution for now.

I'm wondering if they develop adhesions like humans sometimes do after a surgery where the joint hasn't been worked for a while. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 106767
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Oh dear, I hope not!
I definitely need to talk to the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Just a thought since he's not bending the leg.
A chat with the surgeon would be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm still worried about Hercules's leg, even after speaking with the vet.
Hercules id due to have another X-ray in two weeks and, if all is well, the remaining pin will be removed. But in the meanwhile I had doubts about his physio, how much to try and move his joints and how to do it. Basically the advice was to continue doing what I've been doing, but it worries me that he doesn't try to put his leg down at all, and his toes don't come forward, though he can move them a bit.
The vet tentatively mentioned that people sometimes get a kind of arthritis after surgery, when joints are immobilised for a very long time... I hope that's not the case! He fought so hard to survive, and everybody fought so hard to save his leg, that it would be heartbreaking if he never got to use it. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I don't know if it would work but ask the vet about massaging DMSO on the leg.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I wonder if the remaining pin is giving him some discomfort to the point of not wanting to put pressure on the leg. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 106767

I hope the bit about arthritis isn't the case, but it could be I suppose.
I don't think that would deter him from ever using his leg though.
Special positive thought and get well wishes continue to be sent your way. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Drivin10
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Matilda wrote:
I don't know if it would work but ask the vet about massaging DMSO on the leg.

Can't get it here, and it's one of the substances that cannot, by law, be sent by air mail, as it is also a solvent and therefore flammable.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
I wonder if the remaining pin is giving him some discomfort to the point of not wanting to put pressure on the leg. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 106767

I hope the bit about arthritis isn't the case, but it could be I suppose.
I don't think that would deter him from ever using his leg though.
Special positive thought and get well wishes continue to be sent your way. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Drivin10

I think you're exactly right. When I saw the X-ray, the pin seemed to be touching the knee joint. With time it may have moved even further down, so there's NO WAY I would try to make him bend that knee until the pin comes off. I've just concentrated on massaging his leg (which appears to have a small bony growth to the side anyway) and trying to get him to move his toes.
His back toe is curled all the time, but he can curl the others around my finger. He just doesn't seem able to pull them up, they're held almost parallel to the leg.

Thank you for your continued good wishes for him. I know he's an aggressive, authoritarian ratbag, but I love him to bits!

LAST OPERATION SHOULD BE TOMORROW if the X-ray looks good. I'm excited, and worried, and all sorts of things. I'll post the news as soon as I have them.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Will be thinking positive thoughts that all goes well tomorrow. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am

Thank you both!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 am

Oh Teresa, I keep everything that I have got crossed including my toes - if I fall over my feet and break my leg can I send you the invoice????????

Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:42 am

pigeonwriter wrote:

Oh Teresa, I keep everything that I have got crossed including my toes - if I fall over my feet and break my leg can I send you the invoice????????

Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 321758
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next