Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?

Go down 
+12
Jackie\'s Mom
rattyfied
Jenaka
Luna Wolf
Cynthia
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
jamy
pigeonwriter
Effa
plamenh
Teresa
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Hercules has become quite the star!: He may be the only pigeon patient at the vet's, because they make a big fuss of him! Tickled Pink

He spent the whole afternoon at the vets today, because the surgeon wanted to see him, and he also wanted the bird vet to see him. They are very happy with his progress, especially the fact that there isn't any suppuration. Having said that, they warned me that it wasn't good for the flesh wounds to keep them covered, but it was imperative to mend the bone first, and then treat the wounds.

He's having another X-ray done next week to determine when the splint can come off. Meanwhile he's going on another antibiotic course, but considering that he still has diarrhoea (in spite of the brown rice, and the probiotic, and the ACV and the vitamins -- not all at the same time, lol) the vet prescribed BACTRIM (Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethropim) for 8 days. He said this would be gentler on his digestive system.
(This 'zole' business makes me wonder if that antibiotic might treat canker?)

All the time we were talking, Hercules appeared to be listening, lying down on his pillow like a monarch, looking down at everybody! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm glad he's doing so well. Sounds like he's turning into a pretty good Pigeon Ambasador. Way To Go
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 766985 What a wonderful update, Teresa.
I'm thrilled Hercules is doing so well. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 26340
And such a star he has become. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 52853
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Quote :
(Sulfamethoxazole+Trimethropim) for 8 days. He said this would be gentler on his digestive system.
(This 'zole' business makes me wonder if that antibiotic might treat canker?)

Yes, it is called also Cotrimoxazole and treats protozoal infections, but it is also antibacterial.
They used it for toxoplasmosis treatment too, so it has wide spectrum action. I believe that with withdrawal of Baytril from the market, there are new drugs coming. Smile
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Just a thought Teresa,
Why don't you ask Vet for two day break between medications and give him liquid calcium and vitamins? It should help bone mending and calcium firms poop. (and bit detox on his liver won't do harm).
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 pm

plamenh wrote:
Just a thought Teresa,
Why don't you ask Vet for two day break between medications and give him liquid calcium and vitamins? It should help bone mending and calcium firms poop. (and bit detox on his liver won't do harm).

He had a 3-day break from the antibiotics (last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). And he's been taking Glicopan-pet:
www.rightsunchina.com/english/vetnil_glicopan_pet.html+Vetnil+%22glicopan+pet%22&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pt" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:uivsBwJOgewJ:www.rightsunchina.com/english/vetnil_glicopan_pet.html+Vetnil+%22glicopan+pet%22&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=pt
That should be ok, shouldn't it?

The new antibiotic sounds great, and it was so cheap!!
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Looks good to me. It is totally different when you have good Vet around. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Hercules is improving visibly! YESS!! Happy Dance Hip Hip Hooray

He's acting king of the roost, being more active and pecking for Portugal! That's too funny

His appetite is MUCH better, and at long last he's started producing poops that look like poops, rather than that smelly horror he had! I knew it couldn't be due to Salmonella, because the Baytril would have taken care of it, and it couldn't be roundworms because I'd 'dropped' him with Ivermectin -- which meant he probably had intestinal canker or Coccidiosis. I did ask the vet whether it would be a good idea to test a fecal sample, but he didn't think it was necessary. I'm guessing it was canker, and this new antibiotic is kicking butt! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 142829

The only disappointment is that now he often stands on the knuckles of the injured foot, instead of extending his toes. Should I let him do his thing for now and, if needed, use a foot splint later (after the leg has healed) to correct that? It worked with another pigeon I treated.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 1:07 pm

This is great news, Teresa. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 7471 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 98152

Is he able to extend his toes?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
This is great news, Teresa. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 7471 Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 98152

Is he able to extend his toes?

I'm not sure if he can actually move any toes except the back one. I hope that's because the dressing is very constrictive. I can't wait for the time when the splint can come off. Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Heehee, was that a little wing wiggle at the end there? Smile
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:35 pm

High 5 What an easy Pigeon.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Hercules could very well be the 'spokesperson pigeon for all pigeons on how to properly take their medicine. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 848164
Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 373866 Hercules.

Luna Wolf wrote:
Heehee, was that a little wing wiggle at the end there? Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 458406

I noticed that as well. cute. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 588547
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 6:21 am

What a wonderful and dignified patient, Teresa. Incredible for many people but I firmly believe he knows exactly what he is taking here. Way To Go
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Way to go Hercules! You're one lucky bird with Teresa to help you. And those veterinarians sound awesome! High 5
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Jenaka wrote:
Way to go Hercules! You're one lucky bird with Teresa to help you. And those veterinarians sound awesome! High 5

I think so too. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Matilda wrote:
Jenaka wrote:
Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 618836 Hercules! You're one lucky bird with Teresa to help you. And those veterinarians sound awesome! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 226817

I think so too. Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 142829

Me three! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 573503
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Luna Wolf wrote:
Heehee, was that a little wing wiggle at the end there? Smile

Oh goodness me, yes! Sip, sip, sip, SLAP! ROTFL
I said he was a good patient, I didn't say he was tame! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Matilda wrote:
Jenaka wrote:
Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 618836 Hercules! You're one lucky bird with Teresa to help you. And those veterinarians sound awesome! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 226817

Me three! Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 573503

He's very special!
Any bird that can survive for a week with a double exposed fracture and still looks people straight in the eye has got to be something else!
This method seems to work best with alpha males. They like to stay in control, even of their own medication -- and for their carer that means cooperation and an unstressed bird! Wink
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 11:50 am

Teresa wrote:

He's very special!
Any bird that can survive for a week with a double exposed fracture and still looks people straight in the eye has got to be something else!
This method seems to work best with alpha males. They like to stay in control, even of their own medication -- and for their carer that means cooperation and an unstressed bird! Wink

Teresa, that proves that you know these birds, you can look into their hearts and you can feel exactly what they need and how. I wished all people on the world would be able to do this - we had a much better world then. Group hug

I am so glad that I had the chance to get to know you and Charis and Cindy and Cynthia and Plamenh and everybody else. I am learning so much from you all! Thank You circling Thank You circling Thank You circling
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:15 pm

I'm going to show this video my birds so they can see how to behave when taking medicine.
Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 pm

plamenh wrote:
I'm going to show this video my birds so they can see how to behave when taking medicine.
Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 142829

Laughing You'd better edit out the wing twitch, or they'll get ideas... ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Teresa wrote:

He's very special!

Teresa, that proves that you know these birds, you can look into their hearts and you can feel exactly what they need and how. I wished all people on the world would be able to do this - we had a much better world then. Group hug

I am so glad that I had the chance to get to know you and Charis and Cindy and Cynthia and Plamenh and everybody else. I am learning so much from you all! Thank You circling Thank You circling Thank You circling

Like you, I've been learning a lot from the very people you mentioned Pigeon angel , and a few others over the past couple of years. They have a wonderful understanding of how to read a pigeon's reaction and what that means. They're incredibly patient, gentle and dedicated and taught me about the possible causes of a pigeon's aggressiveness and how to get round them (when that's possible) and also how to learn from the pigeons themselves. But no matter how much you already know, you are constantly learning! Tickled Pink

Last edited by Teresa on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Thank you both very much. Each of you are much adored by me. Thank my lucky stars every single day that I know you...just how could I have been so lucky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?   Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horrible fracture (Beware, GRAPHIC) -- what can I do?
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next